collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Noob assistance with meat question  (Read 2523 times)

Offline StewartM

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Noob assistance with meat question
« on: November 20, 2017, 11:41:32 AM »
Hello

I think this is my first post here after being a lurker for a year and a half or so.  Got my first deer, a whitetail spike, on Friday.  Yesterday I did the main butchering and generated a bunch for grinding.  I had a plan to take it to my neighborhood butcher for grinding and packaging.  I called today and they are already busy/full with Thanksgiving stuff.  My big question is, can I wait until next week, or do I need to deal with this sooner?  I really don't have time to do it this week, but can't let the meat go bad.  The meat is stored in plastic bags in my refrigerator right now.

I was hunting GMU 121 and after 5 days, finally saw one with antlers!  I had to watch for a while to be sure since they were tiny, but they were there.  With my heart trying to pound its way out of my chest, I got as much composure as I could and got him with my brand-new Ruger American .270 with a Nikon Buckmaster scope.

Thanks for any assistance.

Stewart

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: Noob assistance with meat question
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 11:45:11 AM »
It would probably be okay to wait a week, but if you're not sure you can get it done then, I'd just throw it in the freezer for now, and wait until your butcher isn't so busy.

Offline StewartM

• Pilgrim
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 11:47:20 AM »
Thank you.  I was still trying to figure out how to post a picture.

Offline Okanagan

• Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2017, 11:54:49 AM »
WTG on the buck!

Freeze it in 5-10 lb. packages and grind it later.  Packages that size will thaw easier than a large sack all together. 

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2017, 11:57:38 AM »
congrats on your first deer  :tup:

I recommend you get yourself a grinder, it doesn't have to be a huge one.  Just do one bag at a time so you don't feel overwhelmed.  Grind it through the big holes then grind it again through the small holes, wrap it in saran wrap, throw it in a ziplock and it's good.  Youtube has plenty of vids if you've never ran a grinder, or get a hunting buddy over to show ya.  The money you save on the butcher will pay for a decent grinder. 

I've been butchering my own hogs and the first few were more of a hack job, I'm still far from professional, some of my roasts are labeled    "hack roast"   :chuckle:

I don't care, once you smoke it with a rub it eats just fine.  I watch youtube vids on butchering hogs and I'm getting it better and better all the time.

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2017, 11:57:46 AM »
Nice work- where are you at in Spokane? 

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2017, 12:13:44 PM »
As suggested, freeze the bags, get a grinder and work through it in the next couple of weeks.  The meat will grind better if it is slightly frozen.  Don't leave it in the zip lock bags in the freezer too long though, it will start to burn. 

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: November 20, 2017, 12:15:36 PM »
http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Deluxe-Meat-Grinder/1843506.uts?slotId=4

There are other grinders out there but this one will do the job. 

Offline StewartM

• Pilgrim
« Reply #8 on: November 20, 2017, 12:20:15 PM »
Yesterday I decided that I would never again use the term "butchered" the way I've used it forever.  "Amateur-butchered" is a much better term.  I did good enough with the backstraps, but the other meat I packaged is just labelled "roast/jerky".

I've thought about buying a grinder, but then I need more fat too. Plus we have the whole fam damily coming on Thursday and I am doing the smoked turkey.  I do like the freeze and grind it myself idea...

I live in 5 Mile. I had planned on just going to Eggers on Rosewood.  Yesterday I even thought it was a great plan between picking up the turkey and dropping off the venison... until I called this morning.

Next year if I'm lucky enough to bag another, I'm either getting a pro to butcher it, or put more time into having things ready in advance.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #9 on: November 20, 2017, 12:23:27 PM »
As others have said, freeze it in small 5-10# bags. If you decide to buy a grinder and go it on your own, this will help you do small batches and learn without doing it all at once. If you decide to take it to the butcher, he will appreciate having small portions that are easy to thaw and weigh vs. one big bulk bag. It's also much easier to transport it that way.

If you decide to get a grinder, don't skimp, get a good one. At least 1/2 HP, preferably 3/4. It will grind the meat faster than you can add it, and it will last you. 2 years worth of grinding on your own will pay for the grinder. Y

ou can do fun stuff that the butcher might not do as well, like adding bacon/onions/garlic/cheese to your burger ahead of time so its ready to roll for the best cheeseburger you've ever eaten.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #10 on: November 20, 2017, 12:26:39 PM »
Yesterday I decided that I would never again use the term "butchered" the way I've used it forever.  "Amateur-butchered" is a much better term.  I did good enough with the backstraps, but the other meat I packaged is just labelled "roast/jerky".

I've thought about buying a grinder, but then I need more fat too. Plus we have the whole fam damily coming on Thursday and I am doing the smoked turkey.  I do like the freeze and grind it myself idea...

I live in 5 Mile. I had planned on just going to Eggers on Rosewood.  Yesterday I even thought it was a great plan between picking up the turkey and dropping off the venison... until I called this morning.

Next year if I'm lucky enough to bag another, I'm either getting a pro to butcher it, or put more time into having things ready in advance.

It takes time to get good and proficient at butchering animals. I've been doing 2-4 a year for the last 5 years and this year was the first time that I was able to do it without a reference and know which cuts were which, and do it in a timely manner. It feels good when you're done though, and you've officially taken the animal from field to table, all on your own.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: November 20, 2017, 12:37:45 PM »
You don't have to add fat to the burger. I never add fat to my burger.  You can always add fat later, but you can't really take out fat.

A lot of recipes I make, I don't like fatty hamburger.  Tacos, burritios, spaghetti, etc I like to have lean hamburger.  For Meatloaf you can add eggs and ground up chicken liver to add some fat to help hold it together.  Then if you are BBQ's hamburger patties you can buy some fatty beef burger and mix it with your venison burger (or get some fat and grind it in with some of you already ground lean burger).

My 2 cents anyway about fat.
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline Blacktail Sniper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
  • Kill'em all...let the gravy sort'em out!!!
  • Groups: blacktail sniper
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2017, 12:52:20 PM »
You don't have to add fat to the burger. I never add fat to my burger.  You can always add fat later, but you can't really take out fat.

A lot of recipes I make, I don't like fatty hamburger.  Tacos, burritios, spaghetti, etc I like to have lean hamburger.  For Meatloaf you can add eggs and ground up chicken liver to add some fat to help hold it together.  Then if you are BBQ's hamburger patties you can buy some fatty beef burger and mix it with your venison burger (or get some fat and grind it in with some of you already ground lean burger).

:yeah:

Or some ground pork sausage.  Lots of potential fat sources that can be blended in after the fact.  And lots of different flavors to add some variety to each meal.
It is better to be consistently incorrect than inconsistently correct...

Sarcasm: The ability to insult stupid people without them realizing it. 

My level of sarcasm depends on your level of stupidity...

Sarcasm makes smart people laugh and stupid people mad.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2017, 01:09:45 PM »

:yeah:

I will grind once through the big holes then freeze, gives me options when I thaw it.  I can regrind and make tacos, or I can add bacon/fat, seasonings or even garbanzo cheese and regrind for burger.  Or maybe I want to make venison jalapeno and cheddar sticks. 

Having the meat coarse ground and frozen gives you options for later.

Offline DaveMonti

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: November 20, 2017, 01:14:14 PM »
I butcher my own and cut the burger meat into strips and freeze them in 2-3 lb bags.  When I need ground meat, I usually buy some ground pork and grind about 2-3 parts  of the slightly thawed venison strips with 1 part pork.  I use a kitchen aid meat grinder attachment (only doing a few pounds at a time) and it works fine.  I think the attachment cost about $40.  We already had a Kitchen Aid mixer.  I have ground meat after 9 months in the freezer and it is as it was the day I froze it. 

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]