collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Kuiu users (tall)  (Read 4913 times)

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
Kuiu users (tall)
« on: November 22, 2017, 09:22:15 AM »
I’m looking for a down jacket for extreme backpacking.   The Kuiu looks good but they don’t sell in a tall for any of their sizes.   Any tall people out there use the stuff or have alternative ideas.

Offline Jason

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Kuiu users (tall)
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 09:24:22 AM »
From my experience all their products are based on a tall size. Pants seem to run about 2" long and the shirts run long also.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 09:29:34 AM »
I am 6'04 and use their XL coat sizes and don't have a length issue. But my length is more in my legs that in abdomen
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline whacker1

• Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 09:55:53 AM »
I think you should call them to discuss torso length.  They are usually extremely helpful on the phone and can give you information not posted on the web-site.

SuperDown changed in their lineup over the last few years, so be educated.

I had the original SuperDown and loved it, but I lost weight and moved from the XXL to the XL.  When I did make that move I moved from the original SuperDown to the SuperDown Ultra, because that is what was available this summer.  The Ultra is a 2.3 oz down fill, which is significantly less than the original SuperDown.  Kuiu since released the SuperDown Pro.....The Pro is what I wanted, but didn't understand the difference at the time nor was the Pro available to compare against, which is double the weight, but double the down at 5 0z of down fill.  I have since tried on the Pro and confirmed that is what I was looking for.

I will end up with both most likely as the ultra is good for the September / early October cold days where the Pro will be what I want for late October / November /December cold spot and stalk seasons.

Offline OltHunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 10:47:11 AM »
I’m looking for a down jacket for extreme backpacking.   The Kuiu looks good but they don’t sell in a tall for any of their sizes.   Any tall people out there use the stuff or have alternative ideas.

Bone -  I'm 6-6 and have a 78" wingspan.  Sleeve length is not a problem with anything Kuiu for me.  I didn't keep the super down jacket as it was just a little too snug and short for me.  I've got a slim build so it didn't have to do with a gut or anything, but the bottom came to just below my belly button.  And I wanted something to just throw over my outerwear when I sit down to glass, nap, eat, etc and not have to take off my jacket, then put it back on.

The pants were fine enough for me, i think they run 34".  I kept them as backup or to loan to my friends/family.

Now all super light insulation layers are like this though, i think that is where they are making up the OZ cuts.  They are going to be short for tall people and they aren't meant to be worn around town, but under a jacket and you'll have a base layer tucked in so you wouldn't be flashing your belly much. 

But what i didn't like was sitting, it just rode up a little too high to expose my lower back.

First Lite Cirrus puffy is the same.

What I went up with was First Lite Uncompahgre Puffy, absolutely love this jacket.  Sleeve length, torso is perfect for me and is roomy enough that it can go over all my layers.  It is about 4 to 6 oz heavier, but that comes with a little better durability.  Super down I felt like if it looked at a snag, the coat would rip.

I can throw it over all my coats, it goes down past my butt and doesn't ride up while sitting.  Extremely warm.  I then throw it back in my bag when I start to move. I recommend this coat to everyone, but might not fit the bill for extreme backpacking, but those of us that are tall, have to make some sacrifices to be comfortable.  They are on sale right now for around $150 if you want to try it out, there could be some sites around that offer free returns, if not, you're out $7 for return shipping. 

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 11:05:38 AM »
I don't have any Kuiu jackets but I do have a few shirts. They all fit me fine with room to spare in the arm length and torso length. I think I'm a little smaller than you but not much.

I would add to your list the First Lite Uncompaghre. Not sure I spelled that correctly...who could...??
https://www.firstlite.com/uncompahgre-puffy-4335.html#donation-section
Super lightweight and really, really warm and comfortable.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 11:21:42 AM »
Good topic, I usually have to buy tall sizes in clothing so I wondered about tall sizes from these companies!
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 11:25:09 AM »
I went with Sitka pants because of the long/tall sizes. I've not had a problem with any jackets. Sitka shirts are always too short in the sleeves for me.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline HighCountryHunter88

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 11:26:49 AM »
which jacket are we talking about here?
-Matt

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 11:36:06 AM »
The down jacket
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline HighCountryHunter88

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 11:39:30 AM »
The down jacket

oops sorry missed the down part. i have a couple guide jackets in xl but in the chugach rain jacket i had to go to xxl, i am 6'3 215lbs
-Matt

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 11:48:42 AM »
Thank you Olthunter, I will look into those.  Whacker, I was looking at the ultra pro.
Thanks for the input.   If anyone has more, please add. 

Offline Weehunt66

• Hunter
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 11:51:52 AM »
You might check out Outdoor Research.  https://www.outdoorresearch.com/us/en/

Offline carlyoungs

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough