collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Old wounds  (Read 8093 times)

Offline St.Clair5x5

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Old wounds
« on: November 22, 2017, 10:11:39 AM »
Anybody have any stories of wounds/bullets/ broad heads they've pulled out of animals they've harvested? Just curious. Last year my hunting partner was fortunate enough to harvest an elk that we later discovered that it was the same bull I was unable to recover from the week prior. Got my bullet back though. Amazing animals.  The cougar I harvested a few years back had a broken foot with a canine bite wound clear through and scratch marks on his butt. Not sure if he won or lost that fight haha
« Last Edit: November 22, 2017, 11:02:04 AM by St.Clair5x5 »
"Ducks aren't hard to hit; they're just easy to miss."

Offline Matth

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
Re: Old wounds
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2017, 10:26:37 AM »
I got a cow about 10 years ago that had a muzzy bullet in one of her rear quarters.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2017, 10:40:27 AM »
My Washington moose had wounds/scars on his hindquarters where wolves tried to hamstring him. 

I hope he ripped a couple up with his devilish brows

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2017, 10:42:17 AM »
Speaking of.  idabooners big Tom had a chest wound where an antler tip penetrated all the way to the cats heart.  It was bruised where it hit the heart.  Another 1/8 of an inch of thrust and there would have been dead puddy

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2017, 10:50:15 AM »
My hunting partner shot an older whitetail buck on private land near Kaycee Wyoming.  As we skinned the buck, quite a few size 7 1/2 lead shot fell to the floor, and lots more were stuck in the fascia.  When he cut up the deer, he found size 6 and size 2 shot in the meat. 

The rancher had alfalfa fields and told us to "shoot as many of those damned things as you want".  I suspect the shot size probably correlated with his depredation frustration on any given day. 
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2017, 10:52:15 AM »
I shot a buck about 6 or 7 years ago that had a broad head behind the shoulder blade.  It was all infected and atrophied.  About 3 years ago I shot a bull with a 22 bullet in the hind quarter.  I found it when I put it through my meat grinder and about broke my arm when the grinder tried to fly off the counter.  This year my wife's bull had a blade and point of an expandable broad head between the skin and bone just above the rear hoof.  I've shot lots of ducks and geese with old pellets in them.

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2017, 10:53:44 AM »
Speaking of.  idabooners big Tom had a chest wound where an antler tip penetrated all the way to the cats heart.  It was bruised where it hit the heart.  Another 1/8 of an inch of thrust and there would have been dead puddy
I responded to a November report years ago of a poached buck at the Casper, WY water treatment plant.  I found a dead buck with a round entrance wound perfectly placed behind his right shoulder with no exit.  When we opened him up to look for a bullet, the minimal trauma, lack of hydrostatic shock trauma, and no projectile led us to conclude he'd been killed by a tine puncture from another buck.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2017, 10:55:52 AM »
2 years in a row I've gotten lead out of deer taken in Wyoming.  One was a 22 LR bullet and one was buckshot.  I think the rancher tries to discourage the deer from eating his hay.......... :o
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2017, 11:00:11 AM »
A bull elk I got years ago has a healed 1+ inch diameter antler hole in his skull behind his ear.  When I was a kid, a friend of my dad's called him to come take care of a paralyzed buck on his farm. The big guy had been shot with one of those old green broadheads in the spine.  It had stopped less than a quarter inch away.  We figured during a rut fight, he got hit by another buck and it shoved the blade through.

Offline WSU

• Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2017, 11:11:18 AM »
Also, the bull with the 22 bullet in the hind quarter was a non-typical and had its skull broken and healed up. 

Offline Screaminreelz

• Disclaimer
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2017, 11:15:41 AM »
A bull a few years back we cut out 3 blades of a broad head out of the bulls neck. Was all calloused in a tube from the neck meat to the skin/hide. super strange no shaft or anything holding the blades. Not quite sure on the shot placement of the archer but I guess they felt comfy making it.
Some animals WERE harmed in the making of this Hunter. They were also dragged through the dirt, butchered and tasted delicious fried with butter and bacon.

Offline Matth

• Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2017, 11:21:45 AM »
I shot a buck about 6 or 7 years ago that had a broad head behind the shoulder blade.  It was all infected and atrophied.  About 3 years ago I shot a bull with a 22 bullet in the hind quarter.  I found it when I put it through my meat grinder and about broke my arm when the grinder tried to fly off the counter.  This year my wife's bull had a blade and point of an expandable broad head between the skin and bone just above the rear hoof.  I've shot lots of ducks and geese with old pellets in them.
Funny i also found the muzzy bullet with the meet grinder.

Offline 724wd

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2017, 12:58:35 PM »
Skinning a big cow years ago we found an encapsulated .54 cal sabot muzzle loader bullet completely flattened right under the skin of her neck. It was a weird white cyst looking thing we decided to cut open. Hit lead and carefully carved it out, finding a little T off the back by where the caliber was stamped.

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2017, 01:08:11 PM »
Shot a huge cow archery season a couple years ago that had been shot with a rifle.  She had a broken hip and ribs. Found copper jacket in front shoulder.  Looked like they tried to Texas heart shot her.  It was fresh....within the week.  A little meat wast on hind quarter is all.  Explained why she wasn't in as big a hurry to leave town when I stepped on the heard.  Glad I got to put her out of her misery. 

Offline GreggHunts2hard4u

• Hunter
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2017, 01:57:03 PM »
Bull i harvested this year had a wound on its chest area. Full of mystery liquid. Guy in camp said it could have been gored by a bull or branch? Shot during previous season? Found no broadhead or bullet

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]