collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Done with Nikon  (Read 7541 times)

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Done with Nikon
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2017, 06:18:21 PM »
Vortex is the way to go. 0 questions asked! its broke or has an issue send it in! They either fix or replace and send it back at no cost!

The problem with Vortex is the need to send the product in. 3 of the 5 Vortex products I own have had to go back for repair and that doesn’t include my spotting scope that pretty much broke in half in the middle of my mountain goat hunt this year. Luckily I was able to screw it back together but why did I need to in the first place?
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Re: Done with Nikon
« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2017, 06:49:28 PM »
Vortex is the way to go. 0 questions asked! its broke or has an issue send it in! They either fix or replace and send it back at no cost!

The problem with Vortex is the need to send the product in. 3 of the 5 Vortex products I own have had to go back for repair and that doesn’t include my spotting scope that pretty much broke in half in the middle of my mountain goat hunt this year. Luckily I was able to screw it back together but why did I need to in the first place?
Idk what to tell you man.. I have been using a vortex Viper HS LR 4-16x50 on my 300 wby mag for 3-4 years now with 0 issues. That rifle REALLY thumped hard before I got the brake put on it but the scope has held up to all of it and even being knocked around in the truck and through nasty weather while hiking and looking for bears. Maybe I got lucky? Idk. my buddies have had the same experiences as me with their Vortex scopes. 0 issues.

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #17 on: December 14, 2017, 07:31:33 PM »
With all due respect I will not buy a vortex as long as they continue to use names like viper. Very mall cop ninja imho
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2017, 07:43:55 PM »

Years ago on my moose hunt, the guide was talking up his Vortex that they sent him to replace the one that quit working... why did it fall apart in the first place?

Offline Jellymon

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2017, 08:01:53 PM »
With all due respect I will not buy a vortex as long as they continue to use names like viper. Very mall cop ninja imho

Yep, because the #1 thing i look for in my optics is a good name. :chuckle:

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #20 on: December 14, 2017, 08:08:44 PM »

BullBlasters spotter broke in half too!  IN HALF!!!! :chuckle:

That's been my experience as well.  Everything vortex I've owned required fixing within a couple seasons.  Thank goodness I had my Nikon topped. 243 with me in 2015 when my reticle broke and would spin with my power ring on the vortex viper.   No more for me.  Fantastic CS though I will give them that.  Wish all companies did it that way
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline jdb

• the illustious potentate
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #21 on: December 14, 2017, 08:20:57 PM »

Yep, because the #1 thing i look for in my optics is a good name. :chuckle:
i know it sounds ridiculous.. but seriously there are several comparable brands of at the very least equal quality and price point so why would I choose the one that sounds like it was named by a 7th grader
nuke the gray whales for jesus!

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #22 on: December 14, 2017, 08:29:25 PM »
Back in the 70s and 80s some car manufacturers started offering 100,000 mile warranties. I always figured it was better to buy a car that didn't need one.
Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline wastickslinger

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: December 14, 2017, 08:32:10 PM »
Fought Nikon one time. Never will buy again. Vortex on my last dozen or more purchases. Not a single complaint. But after reading this I may not buy any more vortex. Last thing i need is a product that sounds like it belongs to a mall cop. Lol

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #24 on: December 14, 2017, 08:54:05 PM »
Fought Nikon one time. Never will buy again. Vortex on my last dozen or more purchases. Not a single complaint. But after reading this I may not buy any more vortex. Last thing i need is a product that sounds like it belongs to a mall cop. Lol
don't let the haters scare you away. Every brand has their issues. I would rather buy a product with a strong backing from the company than something at the same price point that I will have to either fight with them to fix/replace or they won't cover. I mean I take good care of my optics so I really don't worry that much but I know that IF something ever did go wrong with my vortex pieces that I can just contact them and send it in and bam fixed or replaced. I will also put vortex glass up against any leupold of the same price and I do like leupold as well! Also... who cares about the name? If the glass is good and it works really well then the model name shouldn't matter.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2017, 09:02:16 PM »
Failure in the field is not an option.  It's a pass fail test.  Best warranty on earth wont get a scope or binos up and running when they fail in the middle of the hunt.   Call it hating or whatever you want.  If ditching a brand that fails me is hating then guess I'm a hater. :twocents:
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2017, 09:04:59 PM »

I’m with you, 100%.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline cbond3318

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2017, 09:09:54 PM »
I own Nikon and Vortex. No complaints on eitherand haven’t had to use either’s customer service 6 yrs running. But I also have great luck with buying cars FWIW.
Just tend your own and live.

Offline wastickslinger

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2017, 10:43:21 PM »
don't let the haters scare you away. Every brand has their issues. I would rather buy a product with a strong backing from the company than something at the same price point that I will have to either fight with them to fix/replace or they won't cover. I mean I take good care of my optics so I really don't worry that much but I know that IF something ever did go wrong with my vortex pieces that I can just contact them and send it in and bam fixed or replaced. I will also put vortex glass up against any leupold of the same price and I do like leupold as well! Also... who cares about the name? If the glass is good and it works really well then the model name shouldn't matter.

Sorry I should have inserted mr eye rolling emoji. Poor attempt at sarcasm.  Vortex rocks.

Offline birddogdad

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: LMAC, NRA
« Reply #29 on: December 15, 2017, 06:38:32 AM »
long gone are the days of true top customer service. My grandfather told me the story of when he was young and big time into skeet/ comp, he had a superposed browning O/U that was about 500$ at the time... (talking early '40's) that was big money back then.. he shot the rib off the barrel. Called browning, they said to send it in. He did and about a week later a gentleman knocked on his door, said he was from Browning and handed him a brand new shotgun. Customer care has very much changed over the years......
USN retired
1981-2011

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]