collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Multiple wolf packs in the Methow Valley?  (Read 27547 times)

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
Multiple wolf packs in the Methow Valley?
« on: November 24, 2017, 08:11:07 AM »
 In the last week wolf sightings have set the Valley in wonderment, where did all the wolves come from?  Is it one huge pack or multiple packs?

We heard this week, there is a video of wolves killing deer in a field up the Twisp River, last night there was a report of a "bunch of wolves" seen while driving through Balky Hill, and some seen on the river bottom below Benson cr.

What's left of the deer are dropping on to the valley floors, and of course the wolves with them, this is looking to be an exciting time for everyone except the ungulate, livestock and owners.

Will WDF&wolves get that befuddled look on their face, the pretend to be as puzzled as everyone else look. Or will they explain to everyone how wolves double in population each year, and they "had" to lie to the people of WA on the wolf numbers in order to get the departments desired amount of wolves established?

I wonder what WDF&wolves will write in the paper about their prize wolves?

Remember the cougar's of 2014?

http://methownet.com/grist/features/cougar_sightings.html

WDFW knew of 52 collared cougars on the valley floor when this article was written.

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Multiple wolf packs in the Methow Valley?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2017, 08:20:45 AM »
There was never 52 collared cougars in the Methow.  There are a few now, but <10.... never anywhere close to 52. 

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2017, 08:39:55 AM »
There was never 52 collared cougars in the Methow.  There are a few now, but <10.... never anywhere close to 52.

The number came from a person inside WDFW at the time, after watching you defend WDFW-&wolves for years, I am incline to believe the the other guy... ;)

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2017, 08:49:10 AM »
I'm not defending WDFW.  I'm telling you that you are BSing.  Get your facts right before telling stories.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2017, 09:02:10 AM »
I don’t think 52 cougars would or could live in one area being as territorial as they are..... would be shocking news.  10 is enough to reduce the deer population tho!

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2017, 09:04:54 AM »
Nothing new about the packs.   I always said there were multiple packs and listed where.   They always chalked em up as one pack which I knew as total BS.

I joked about how well travelled those lookout wolves were

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 09:26:57 AM »
I don’t think 52 cougars would or could live in one area being as territorial as they are..... would be shocking news.  10 is enough to reduce the deer population tho!

I don't think territory matters too much when predators are hungry, if you read the article, most of the cougar they killed were not wearing collars, WDFW removed 6 that's not counting the cougars that were killed privately.

Be interesting to see what this year brings.

The guy that said WDFW knew of 52 collared cougar on the valley floor at the time, said they could track the cougar movements, he said one night a cougar came out of Bridge Cr went down the country road and over into the Patterson LK country, he said it was surprising how far they could travel in a short amount of time.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2017, 09:36:28 AM by wolfbait »

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2017, 09:31:17 AM »
Nothing new about the packs.   I always said there were multiple packs and listed where.   They always chalked em up as one pack which I knew as total BS.

I joked about how well travelled those lookout wolves were

:yeah: :bash:

In 2008 there were multiple packs, but they would only confirm the one they were forced to.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2017, 09:31:58 AM »
In the last week wolf sightings have set the Valley in wonderment, where did all the wolves come from?  Is it one huge pack or multiple packs?

We heard this week, there is a video of wolves killing deer in a field up the Twisp River, last night there was a report of a "bunch of wolves" seen while driving through Balky Hill, and some seen on the river bottom below Benson cr.

What's left of the deer are dropping on to the valley floors, and of course the wolves with them, this is looking to be an exciting time for everyone except the ungulate, livestock and owners.

Will WDF&wolves get that befuddled look on their face, the pretend to be as puzzled as everyone else look. Or will they explain to everyone how wolves double in population each year, and they "had" to lie to the people of WA on the wolf numbers in order to get the departments desired amount of wolves established?

WDFW knew of 52 collared cougars on the valley floor when this article was written.

Can you post up the video please......pics of the Balky Hill critters would be nice too. :tup:
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2017, 09:41:19 AM »

Can you post up the video please......pics of the Balky Hill critters would be nice too. :tup:

Don't have the video as of yet but we have been calling people we know trying to find out who has it.

Don't know if there are any pictures of the wolves on Balky, info came from a guy who helps feed cows.

Have heard of several sightings from Mazama to McFarland Cr.

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2017, 09:52:36 AM »
I would add that people are sharing info. and advising folks to start packing, and to be careful doing nightly chores etc..

Seems no one believes WDF&wolves info. that wolves are shy and timid creatures that avoid people, too many incidences in the past have left that line of BS in the dust.

Offline HighCountryHunter88

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2017, 10:39:04 AM »
52 collared lions on the valley floor is total bull, your buddy at FW must get a kick out of telling you that crap and watching you run with it.
-Matt

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2017, 10:52:05 AM »
52 collared lions on the valley floor is total bull, your buddy at FW must get a kick out of telling you that crap and watching you run with it.

I have never known this guy to lie, and there is was no reason for him to. Seemed everyone was either having cat problems or seeing them that year.

Are you connected to WDFW, or are you a cougar expert?

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2017, 11:26:03 AM »
Hhhmmm
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline HighlandLofts

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: WAC,
« Reply #14 on: November 25, 2017, 12:49:42 PM »
As long as there are cougars and wolves hunting the same territory kiss the deer & elk good bye.
Who gives the game department the right to release these POS wolves any way?
« Last Edit: November 26, 2017, 04:28:52 PM by HighlandLofts »
WAC
NRA
Walk Light, Carry A Big Stick, Never Walk Away. - Teddy Roosevelt
Don't Take Your Guns To Town.   Johnny Cash

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by jrebel
[Today at 06:27:01 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by HntnFsh
[Today at 05:33:38 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter