collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Multiple wolf packs in the Methow Valley?  (Read 27543 times)

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Re: Multiple wolf packs in the Methow Valley?
« Reply #135 on: December 01, 2017, 08:36:48 AM »
Here in lies the problem:
WDFW is monitoring big game populations, predator-prey relationships, and hunter harvest closely. If any ungulate population falls 25 percent below its population objective for two consecutive years, and/or if hunter harvest decreases by 25 percent below the 10-year average harvest rate for two consecutive years, WDFW may consider reducing wolf abundance in affected areas, where applicable with federal law.As prescribed by the state’s Wolf Conservation and Management Plan, if wolf predation became a primary limiting factor for an “at risk” ungulate population in a wolf recovery region that had at least four successful breeding pairs of wolves, WDFW could consider reducing wolf abundance in the localized area. An “at risk” ungulate population is any federal or state listed species (Selkirk Mountain woodland caribou, Columbian white-tailed deer) or any ungulate population that falls 25 percent below its population objective for two consecutive years, and/or if hunter harvest decreases by 25 percent below the 10-year average harvest rate for two consecutive years. 

Their population objective is WAY, WAY below what it should be.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #136 on: December 01, 2017, 08:44:21 AM »
Breeding pair. Yeah, that's the term I was trying to think of, but I'm no biologist.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #137 on: December 01, 2017, 09:08:19 AM »
WDFW is monitoring big game populations, predator-prey relationships, and hunter harvest closely. If any ungulate population falls 25 percent below its population objective for two consecutive years, and/or if hunter harvest decreases by 25 percent below the 10-year average harvest rate for two consecutive years, WDFW may consider reducing wolf abundance in affected areas, where applicable with federal law.As prescribed by the state’s Wolf Conservation and Management Plan, if wolf predation became a primary limiting factor for an “at risk” ungulate population in a wolf recovery region that had at least four successful breeding pairs of wolves, WDFW could consider reducing wolf abundance in the localized area. An “at risk” ungulate population is any federal or state listed species (Selkirk Mountain woodland caribou, Columbian white-tailed deer) or any ungulate population that falls 25 percent below its population objective for two consecutive years, and/or if hunter harvest decreases by 25 percent below the 10-year average harvest rate for two consecutive years. 

We’ll have to see the harvest numbers, but I bet the Methow is probably already there.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 01:00:13 PM by Boss .300 winmag »
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #138 on: December 01, 2017, 09:10:59 AM »

Good info Skyvalley but they will probably blame the drastic reduction of the Methow herd on everything but wolves I,m afraid, heck I saw a lot of camp robbers and crows this year, probably a study going on to pin it on them.. :twocents:

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #139 on: December 01, 2017, 09:19:39 AM »
Well everyone that knows anything about the Methow knows it can sustain WAY more deer than it does or has done. I didn't look up the States objective for the area but you cant tell me it has come anywhere close to what it can sustain. With that in mind the state should be able to address the predator situation weather it be Wolves, Cougars, Bears, Coyotes whatever it needs to wake up and address this.

The statewide management goals for deer are:
1. Preserve, protect, perpetuate, and manage deer and their habitat to ensure sustainable populations.
2. Manage deer for a variety of recreational, educational, and aesthetic purposes including hunting, scientific study, cultural, subsistence, and ceremonial uses by Native Americans, wildlife viewing, and photography.
3. Manage statewide deer populations for a sustainable annual harvest

Not accomplished
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 09:47:04 AM by Skyvalhunter »
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline bigmacc

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #140 on: December 01, 2017, 09:35:28 AM »
We everyone that knows anything about the Methow knows it can sustain WAY more deer than it does or has done. I didn't look up the States objective for the area but you cant tell me it has come anywhere close to what it can sustain. With that in mind the state should be able to address the predator situation weather it be Wolves, Cougars, Bears, Coyotes whatever it needs to wake up and address this.

Yes it can sustain more and did for many, many years. A lot of us remember that herd holding steady at around 30k to 40k and it wasn't that long ago, now its at most half of that and dropping fast.

Offline HighlandLofts

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+19)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: WAC,
« Reply #141 on: December 04, 2017, 06:12:51 AM »
When dealing with any government agency you very rarely get a straight answer.
You guys in that region can see first hand the damage that is taking place. You can see it better then some clown sitting in a office in Seattle.
WAC
NRA
Walk Light, Carry A Big Stick, Never Walk Away. - Teddy Roosevelt
Don't Take Your Guns To Town.   Johnny Cash

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #142 on: December 05, 2017, 10:39:50 PM »

All they have to do is reduce the population objective and voila, they can do as they want to.
Bruce Vandervort

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #143 on: December 06, 2017, 05:37:04 AM »
Which needs scientific backing one would think

Offline WAcoyotehunter

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #144 on: December 06, 2017, 06:32:31 AM »
Indeed.  Remember though, lots of the folks here don't believe in science.

Offline huntnphool

• Chance favors the prepared mind!
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+15)
  • Legend
« Reply #145 on: December 06, 2017, 06:42:10 AM »
Indeed.  Remember though, lots of the folks here don't believe in science.

When the results of "science" are directly related to the political views of the scientist......not so much.

I'll give you our current cougar "plan" as a example. ;)
The things that come to those who wait, may be the things left by those who got there first!

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #146 on: December 06, 2017, 08:08:07 AM »
Deer and elk population objectives in this state aren't based on science but more on how many animals the private landowners will tolerate.

Offline wolfbait

• Site Sponsor
  • Old Salt
« Reply #147 on: December 06, 2017, 11:41:44 AM »

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #148 on: December 06, 2017, 12:03:59 PM »
Good article.
The beurocracy is smothering everything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline buckcanyonlodge

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Sourdough
    • Buck Canyon Lodge
« Reply #149 on: December 06, 2017, 05:44:55 PM »

We’ll have to see the harvest numbers, but I bet the Methow is probably already there.

Any way to verify their numbers? ...Add a couple here ..a few there.. still no harvest decrease...Call me crazy but my tin foil hat says it might be possible. I'm working on a tin foil suit to go with my hat.
Thanks for all for your past support...We officially pulled the plug and have retired from the Biz. Still dabble a little in real estate.
Call Westergard Real Estate  for your REAL ESTATE needs in the Tri-County area. Hunting/Recreational or retirement properties. Tri County Area 509-722-3949

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]