collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: When the rivers are blown... go SQUIDDING  (Read 4786 times)

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
When the rivers are blown... go SQUIDDING
« on: November 26, 2017, 09:20:05 PM »
Finally got out for the first time in about ten years. Used to be go out in the middle of the night in the cold, wind and rain. Being so far away from the traditional squid areas, Steilicoom, Edmonds, the ferris wheel, to name a few, I haven't been motivated to head out.

This fall, I joined a Facebook page, Washington Squid Fishing, and have been drooling over the continued reports of masses amount of squid being caught at all hours of the day, even in daylight.  Say what??? 

Anyways, finally decided to head over this afternoon and give it a try.  A guy was going to meet me in Edmonds to sell me some jigs.  I get there at 2:30, no guy.  Finally, at three fifteen or so I ask someone if I may borrow one.  Sure, good to go.

By 5 I had caught 13 and called it quits.  Of course, the Asian fisherpeople were hauling them in left and right compared to me.  :chuckle:

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
Re: When the rivers are blown... go SQUIDDING
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2017, 09:30:37 PM »
Nice job Lokidog. :tup:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 12:07:56 AM »
 :drool: :drool: :drool:  Looks delicious!!  Remember doing this as a young boy with my dad and his friends.  Never been since but would love to give it a try one of these days.  Congrats on a nice haul of great eats. 

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: November 27, 2017, 04:58:32 AM »
That looks awesome

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #4 on: November 27, 2017, 06:42:39 AM »
I know a place right here in deskounes that sells the best squid jigs , if you want a few I can go get some and ship them to you? It's a real piss cutter when someone says they will be somewhere and then pulls a no show !!
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #5 on: November 27, 2017, 07:13:35 AM »
I know a place right here in deskounes that sells the best squid jigs , if you want a few I can go get some and ship them to you? It's a real piss cutter when someone says they will be somewhere and then pulls a no show !!

Thanks.  He'll be shipping them this week. Do you know what they sell for? I'll keep your offer in mind.   :tup:

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #6 on: November 27, 2017, 08:30:57 AM »

Thanks.  He'll be shipping them this week. Do you know what they sell for? I'll keep your offer in mind.   :tup:
if I remember right they were about 2.50 each, I haven't bought any in a long time because you generally don't lose them when your squiding!! Let me know if they don't show, I can get them pretty much anytime, he is usually pretty well stocked up this time of year!!

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2017, 08:38:08 AM »

if I remember right they were about 2.50 each, I haven't bought any in a long time because you generally don't lose them when your squiding!! Let me know if they don't show, I can get them pretty much anytime, he is usually pretty well stocked up this time of year!!

What/where is deskounes? Do you squid?

Offline magnanimous_j

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2017, 08:41:56 AM »
Finally got out for the first time in about ten years. Used to be go out in the middle of the night in the cold, wind and rain. Being so far away from the traditional squid areas, Steilicoom, Edmonds, the ferris wheel, to name a few, I haven't been motivated to head out.

This fall, I joined a Facebook page, Washington Squid Fishing, and have been drooling over the continued reports of masses amount of squid being caught at all hours of the day, even in daylight.  Say what??? 

Anyways, finally decided to head over this afternoon and give it a try.  A guy was going to meet me in Edmonds to sell me some jigs.  I get there at 2:30, no guy.  Finally, at three fifteen or so I ask someone if I may borrow one.  Sure, good to go.

By 5 I had caught 13 and called it quits.  Of course, the Asian fisherpeople were hauling them in left and right compared to me.  :chuckle:

You caught all those during the DAY?

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2017, 08:54:09 AM »

What/where is deskounes? Do you squid?
sorry, I have no idea how auto correct came up with that, it's in Des Moines !! I do squid , but I go just to catch halibut bait !! I haven't squided during the day though !! I usually take my generator and light and go down to Ruston way and join the mess of non English speakers that love to get elbow to elbow  :chuckle:

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2017, 09:01:28 AM »
I figured it was Des Moines.   :chuckle:

I was thinking about saving some for lingcod bait if I got enough.

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2017, 09:04:13 AM »
I figured it was Des Moines.   :chuckle:

I was thinking about saving some for lingcod bait if I got enough.
definetly do, I think it's the next best thing next to kelp greenling!! It's great for halibut to because you don't have to worry about it coming off after you send it down 600 plus feet  :chuckle:

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2017, 05:41:00 PM »
Don't want to hijack this thread... but has anyone done any squidding down along ruston way and pt defiance? If so was it any good? I haven't done any squid jigging for quite a few years but might go again this year.

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 05:46:11 PM »
Don't want to hijack this thread... but has anyone done any squidding down along ruston way and pt defiance? If so was it any good? I haven't done any squid jigging for quite a few years but might go again this year.
its hit and miss , somenights it's crazy othernifhts your doing good if you come home with 5

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2017, 06:09:22 PM »

You caught all those during the DAY?

Missed this... to my surprise, heck yeah!

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal