collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Tips on how to take out some dogs on my land  (Read 2428 times)

Offline GrampasGuns

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Groups: WWA, DU, RGS, NWTF
Tips on how to take out some dogs on my land
« on: November 27, 2017, 06:25:20 PM »
Hi guys and gals,

I have a great piece of land in 335, and last year we experienced an incredible amount of winter kill. From what I could ascertain they were all predator kills.  I have gotten quite a few coyote pics on my game cams, and I want to develop a plan to take them out.

Once the snow falls, I want to set up near a large clearing and do some calling.

Can anyone provide tips on some winter time calling, will a rabbit distress suffice? I dont mind buying a few calls to help get this done. Foxpro is out the budget this year, so hand calls will have to work.

Once I have these yotes on the ground, is it affordable to have them tanned if I do the skinning? Anywhere in eastern or western wa to send the hides?

Ive considered doing it myself but I will be divorced if I bring home a dead coyote. Will be much easier to manage if I just show up with some beautiful pelts!

Thank you!
The deer are exactly where you find them, and no where you dont!

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: Tips on how to take out some dogs on my land
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2017, 06:45:35 PM »
You can brain tan each coyote with its own brain!! Easiest way is to case skin them and stretch them over a shaped 2x10 and dry, or just toss them in them in the bushes!!
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline JakeLand

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #2 on: November 27, 2017, 08:07:28 PM »
If your going to tan them don't waste your time to stretch them , once they get in the tanning solutions they shrink right back to the original size. Moyles in Idaho are the closest and best price I think a coyote is only $20 . Make sure you flesh and turn the lips and ears before you tan them

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 02:01:07 PM »

Once the snow falls, I want to set up near a large clearing and do some calling.  Why wait for the snow?

Can anyone provide tips on some winter time calling, will a rabbit distress suffice? I dont mind buying a few calls to help get this done. Foxpro is out the budget this year, so hand calls will have to work.  If you're serious about them, I'd have someone who knows what they are doing show you the ropes.  You're learning curve will shorten and you'll remove more dogs

Once I have these yotes on the ground, is it affordable to have them tanned if I do the skinning? It's not as affordable as you'd think if a foxpro is out of budget.  Anywhere in eastern or western wa to send the hides?

Ive considered doing it myself but I will be divorced if I bring home a dead coyote. Had to ask....how you going to skin them then?  :chuckle:Will be much easier to manage if I just show up with some beautiful pelts!

Thank you!
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline Tracker0721

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 03:30:33 PM »
Dead yotes this year from the buyers ive talked to are about 20-25 on the dog. 30 something if properly cased. As for calls, rabbit is good, most common. If you can use a diaphragm call like for turkeys then that’s even better. Google and YouTube M F K game calls. They have great tips and give a good idea of how your calls should sound. I got 9 in July off a ranch using mostly woodpecker distress and raccoon, higher pitched sounds. Pup distress is about the deadliest though after 15-20 minutes of some rabbit or coon. Icotec are cheaper then foxpro and just as good for coyotes. We got 32 +-1 last year with the cheapest icotec call $70 and 30 dogs at 25 bucks per pelt. I’d say it was a good investment. The wind is your biggest enemy. A coyote can smell better than a bloodhound and hears as well as a bat. Check out the Predator Masters forum and read the recent coyote smell post.

Side note, Gringo were you the one that back when they used to do the coyote derby thing had mountains of yotes? I remember when I first got on this forum someone named Gringo was a serious killer.
May my presence go unnoticed, may my shot be true, may the blood trail be short.

Amen

Offline Axle

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 06:37:36 PM »
Ive considered doing it myself but I will be divorced if I bring home a dead coyote. Will be much easier to manage if I just show up with some beautiful pelts!

Oh my oh my! You didn't train her well enough!  :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle: :chuckle:
I am the man what runs with the football: Jerry Clower

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 06:47:17 PM »
If they're that bad the best thing you can do is get a permit from WDFW to use leg hold traps and get someone to trap them for ya.

I use bait, I've been doing enough farm slaughter I had quite a bit of bait out and seriously put a dent in the local population, but they're always coming back in from around the area, so it's like refillable targets. 

You won't ever make the place coyote free

I did kill a few calling, but that didn't last long.  Now they won't come in to calls, but I suppose this new batch might come in to a call. 

Offline Gringo31

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Old Salt
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 12:50:37 PM »
I remember when I first got on this forum someone named Gringo was a serious killer.

I've thinned my fair share over the years.  ;)
We must reject the idea that every time a law's broken, society is guilty rather than the lawbreaker. It is time to restore the American precept that each individual is accountable for his actions.
-Ronald Reagan

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2017, 01:12:34 PM »
I remember when I first got on this forum someone named Gringo was a serious killer.

I've thinned my fair share over the years.  ;)

Hunt Gringo style and shoot them off of carcasses.  Way better than any call!
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline YoungGun9

• Tracker
« Reply #9 on: December 08, 2017, 11:54:41 AM »
I have a foxpro and would be up to call some in for you to whack!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]