collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Request for information about certain breeds  (Read 10979 times)

Offline TheSennett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Request for information about certain breeds
« on: November 28, 2017, 09:23:02 AM »
I'm looking at getting my first gun dog and would appreciate any advice from owners of the following breeds: (1) English setter; (2) Brittany; (3) Irish red & white setter; and, (4) English springer spaniel.  I'm only planning on hunting upland, no waterfowl. 

Also, if anyone is out hunting in the next few weeks, and doesn't mind me tagging along to watch your dog(s) work, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.   

Offline Henrydog

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, RMEF, Phesants Forever
Re: Request for information about certain breeds
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2017, 09:49:05 AM »
I have a Springer, my brother in law has a Brittney.  I'm partial to my dog, but in both cases if you are getting to the spots where birds actually live be prepared for a lot of brushing and removal of cockleburs after each outing.

Offline Wingin it

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2017, 07:04:22 PM »
My first bird was a springer and she was hell on wheels! She was a fantastic family dog too. If I ever go back to flushing dogs they would be at the top of my list for sure. As mentioned already maintenance is kind of a bear after the hunt as they soak up the burs pretty good. That is the only downfall.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2017, 07:13:46 PM »
You'd be better off picking a trainer, who's usually associated with a kennel, which is usually associated with a breed.

For your first gun dog I recommend you find a reputable kennel with reputable trainers and one that's close by, because you'll be driving there....a lot.

Offline GoBeavs85

• Hunter
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2017, 08:31:32 PM »
What are you looking for in a bird dog? There is no one best breed, although we will all argue that till the end of time 😂 pointing or flushing? Long range in the steep cliffs or close working in thick canyons? My dog is a hunting dog for 4 months and a family dog for 8. So there was a lot of at home requirements. Next dog won’t be so big! I don’t have the answers but if I were you that’s how I would approach the decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2017, 08:41:52 PM »
You'd be better off picking a trainer, who's usually associated with a kennel, which is usually associated with a breed.

For your first gun dog I recommend you find a reputable kennel with reputable trainers and one that's close by, because you'll be driving there....a lot.

Outstanding advice right there.   

Offline Forks

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA Phes. Forev.
« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2017, 05:18:36 AM »
 The first two hands down, but I like them to point.

Offline T-Bone

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2017, 07:25:06 AM »
If you choose the Springer...Be very sure to get one out of field type NOT show type breeding. The difference is as extreme as two separate breeds of dogs.

" America will never be destroyed from outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves."

Abraham Lincoln

Offline TheSennett

• Pilgrim
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2017, 08:57:58 AM »

I like this idea.  Has anyone had a particularly good or bad experience with a kennel?  Feel free to PM me if you don't want to publicly broadcast this information.

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2017, 10:49:14 AM »
I'm looking at getting my first gun dog and would appreciate any advice from owners of the following breeds: (1) English setter; (2) Brittany; (3) Irish red & white setter; and, (4) English springer spaniel.  I'm only planning on hunting upland, no waterfowl. 

Also, if anyone is out hunting in the next few weeks, and doesn't mind me tagging along to watch your dog(s) work, I'd really appreciate it.

Thanks.   

If you are looking at English setters you should look at English Pointers as well. They do the same job, they are handled in the same competitions, etc.

Buy a started dog. Often times field trailers will hang onto a batch of pups to see how they develop and cut (as in sell) the ones that don't make the grade. Often those dogs are more than enough for the average hunter and they, the breeder, can make a better match between dog and future owner with such dogs since they aren't as much of a shot in the dark as an 8 week old pup.

Don't be afraid to fly a dog in from a breeder in another state. Just make sure the breeder is reputable.

Offline 2MANY

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2017, 10:52:06 AM »
"Buy a started dog. Often times field trailers will hang onto a batch of pups to see how they develop and cut (as in sell) the ones that don't make the grade. Often those dogs are more than enough for the average hunter and they, the breeder, can make a better match between dog and future owner with such dogs since they aren't as much of a shot in the dark as an 8 week old pup."

I was thinking the same thing.
Both dog and owner learning together is a recipe for disaster.
Especially in the pointing breeds.

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2017, 10:58:26 AM »
"Buy a started dog. Often times field trailers will hang onto a batch of pups to see how they develop and cut (as in sell) the ones that don't make the grade. Often those dogs are more than enough for the average hunter and they, the breeder, can make a better match between dog and future owner with such dogs since they aren't as much of a shot in the dark as an 8 week old pup."

I was thinking the same thing.
Both dog and owner learning together is a recipe for disaster.
Especially in the pointing breeds.

I've gone through four bird dogs now and I've attempted to train them all with varying levels of success. The problem I see is training takes a lot of time to be effective and you have to have land and birds. A started dog should have some birds shot over it and have some rudimentary idea of what the job is about. You also bypass some of the more annoying phases of puppyhood with one.

My next dog will most likely be started to one degree or another.

Offline AspenBud

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2017, 11:01:49 AM »
A breeder should also have a better feel for a dog's range if it is started. Some people want a dog that runs a mile out, others do not. Range is impossible to determine in an 8 week old.

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2017, 11:04:53 AM »
If you want primarily a hunting dog buy one that has been professionally started. If you want a family dog that also hunts buy a pup. Family dogs need conditioning to people and living indoors. Buying a pup allows for important social training with human interaction and also other dog interaction. A starter dog will rarely become your best friend but he will probably be a better hunter. Make sure you are familiar with a breed's traits such as being high-strung, aggressive, etc. Choose wisely because they will be around for the next 8 to 15 years.

Offline TheSennett

• Pilgrim
« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2017, 01:25:13 PM »
If you want primarily a hunting dog buy one that has been professionally started. If you want a family dog that also hunts buy a pup. Family dogs need conditioning to people and living indoors. Buying a pup allows for important social training with human interaction and also other dog interaction. A starter dog will rarely become your best friend but he will probably be a better hunter. Make sure you are familiar with a breed's traits such as being high-strung, aggressive, etc. Choose wisely because they will be around for the next 8 to 15 years.

I'm looking for a 50% family / 50% hunting dog.   Based on what everyone is saying, I think I might actually be looking for a unicorn...  I grew up with purebred GSDs so I'm relatively competent w/ training.  However, I've never trained a dog for hunting and don't have much hunting experience myself (lived in CT before moving out here).  I'm going to start by getting in touch with breeders and seeing where that takes me.     

I appreciate the insight from everyone.  Lots to consider!       

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]