collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Request for information about certain breeds  (Read 10974 times)

Offline jimmy z

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Re: Request for information about certain breeds
« Reply #30 on: December 19, 2017, 07:44:16 PM »
French Britt. Awesome dogs. Smart, loyal, I trained my first, one and only, and he is lights out! Great family dog.  And I ain't no dog trainer. Start with obedience, good training tech, common sense, treat them like a dog not a person, and it's a piece of cake. I was shooting pointed birds over mine in 6 months. He is seven and I could never imagine hunting or owning a different breed.

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 21, 2017, 05:53:19 AM »
If you want primarily a hunting dog buy one that has been professionally started. If you want a family dog that also hunts buy a pup. Family dogs need conditioning to people and living indoors. Buying a pup allows for important social training with human interaction and also other dog interaction. A starter dog will rarely become your best friend but he will probably be a better hunter. Make sure you are familiar with a breed's traits such as being high-strung, aggressive, etc. Choose wisely because they will be around for the next 8 to 15 years.

I'm looking for a 50% family / 50% hunting dog.   Based on what everyone is saying, I think I might actually be looking for a unicorn...  I grew up with purebred GSDs so I'm relatively competent w/ training.  However, I've never trained a dog for hunting and don't have much hunting experience myself (lived in CT before moving out here).  I'm going to start by getting in touch with breeders and seeing where that takes me.     

I appreciate the insight from everyone.  Lots to consider!     

Why do you say that?  It should be very easy to find what your looking for.  Here’s a picture of the winningest 1hr female in Brittany history, hangin out with her new buddy.   Does she look like a unicorn?

Offline fethrduster

• Scout
    • Mark Larson Gun Art
« Reply #32 on: December 21, 2017, 09:26:50 AM »
Highly recommend a started dog vs doing it yourself.  I had a brit that I tried to train myself and it was a nightmare.  I purchased my setter as a started dog and he's been a pure joy from day one.  Of the dogs listed, I'd go for the setter, but they do require some grooming if you hunt where there are burrs.  No prettier dog to hunt behind though, and incredible family dogs as well.  Sweet, mild mannered, and smart. 

Offline constructeur

• Hunter
  • Groups: NAVHDA
« Reply #33 on: December 21, 2017, 01:50:36 PM »
^ and their retrieve work is a known problem. How come owners never seem to admit that?

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
« Reply #34 on: December 21, 2017, 03:57:54 PM »
Because many people don’t care about a retriev.

Offline constructeur

• Hunter
  • Groups: NAVHDA
« Reply #35 on: December 25, 2017, 10:10:02 PM »
No, it's because they are deliberately deceptive, and don't want to admit that out of all the dogs in pointerdom they are stuck feeding a dog that does 2/3 of it's job for the next decade plus.

...kind of like how you'd never admit those runts you run are hard as hell to see in any wild/tall cover.

Deception.

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
« Reply #36 on: December 26, 2017, 04:20:33 AM »
No, it's because they are deliberately deceptive, and don't want to admit that out of all the dogs in pointerdom they are stuck feeding a dog that does 2/3 of it's job for the next decade plus.

...kind of like how you'd never admit those runts you run are hard as hell to see in any wild/tall cover.

Deception.

You must have the wrong guy, because I’ve never said my dogs are easy to see.  It’s just the opposite especially in trials.  But it’s not the size, it’s the color!   I talk about how hard they are to see all the time.  EVERYONE DOES, and it’s a running joke.  But when hunting, why do I need to see my runts?  That’s what GPS was created for!  I assure you I kill a hell of a lot more birds knowing exactly where my runts are on GPS and not having to hack at them, then guys like you who scream the birds out of the country while needing to hack at your dog to know where they are......  Oh and BTW, you probably don’t ever want to put your dog on the ground against my runts.  At 9 1/2, my oldest still gets better as the hour progresses.

As far as retrieving, most people who own setters and Pointers want a dog to hunt, find,and point birds, that’s it.  Retrieving and flushing duties are often left to the cockers and Springers who dont have the motors to keep up with Setters and Pointers.  But, if you do want an ES or EP to retrieve, it’s not really rocket science.  You just work on a trained retrieve or FF them, like they do every decent lab out there.  Go to any NSTRA trial out there, and you will see boat loads of ES’s and EP’s that retrieve to hand. Retrieve can easily be trained, huge motors with cannons for noses is something that’s bred.  I’ll take the things that have to be bred, all day every day, over something that can be trained into to any dog.
« Last Edit: December 26, 2017, 06:18:47 AM by jetjockey »

Offline addicted2hunting

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: DU, NAVHDA, HRC.
« Reply #37 on: December 26, 2017, 09:40:20 AM »

Deception.

You must have the wrong guy, because I’ve never said my dogs are easy to see.  It’s just the opposite especially in trials.  But it’s not the size, it’s the color!   I talk about how hard they are to see all the time.  EVERYONE DOES, and it’s a running joke.  But when hunting, why do I need to see my runts?  That’s what GPS was created for!  I assure you I kill a hell of a lot more birds knowing exactly where my runts are on GPS and not having to hack at them, then guys like you who scream the birds out of the country while needing to hack at your dog to know where they are......  Oh and BTW, you probably don’t ever want to put your dog on the ground against my runts.  At 9 1/2, my oldest still gets better as the hour progresses.

As far as retrieving, most people who own setters and Pointers want a dog to hunt, find,and point birds, that’s it.  Retrieving and flushing duties are often left to the cockers and Springers who dont have the motors to keep up with Setters and Pointers.  But, if you do want an ES or EP to retrieve, it’s not really rocket science.  You just work on a trained retrieve or FF them, like they do every decent lab out there.  Go to any NSTRA trial out there, and you will see boat loads of ES’s and EP’s that retrieve to hand. Retrieve can easily be trained, huge motors with cannons for noses is something that’s bred.  I’ll take the things that have to be bred, all day every day, over something that can be trained into to any dog.

I'd be careful about asking to run against his shorthair....
"real dogs have beards"

Offline addicted2hunting

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #38 on: December 26, 2017, 09:42:33 AM »
Retrieving is a necessary trait in a dog. It's an important conservation tool. A natural retrieve has a much better outcome after FF than a dog that hates to retrieve from the start....
"real dogs have beards"

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 26, 2017, 09:58:19 AM »

Deception.

I'd be careful about asking to run against his shorthair....

Why?  I’ve run against many of the best shorthairs in the country, and several of their NFC’s.  I’ve also had the enjoyment of watching several GSP Pros at summer camp.   I’ve beat both, and lost to both, and I knew exactly why every time.   

Offline addicted2hunting

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #40 on: December 26, 2017, 10:14:07 AM »
Because you will be humbled...
"real dogs have beards"

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 26, 2017, 10:17:39 AM »
Because you will be humbled...

Maybe.  But I’ve run against some of the best GSP’s in the country, including NFC’s. I know exactly what to expect.  Can you say the same?

Offline addicted2hunting

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #42 on: December 26, 2017, 10:22:13 AM »
Well he doesn't play the field trial game, he hunts. His shorthair comes from multiple field trial champs though. His is the only dog I've seen be able to hunt chukar from daylight till dark for 3 days in a row without slowing a beat. That's through steep basalt with thousands of feet of elevation up and down. And still hunt the same as it did fresh from the box. That's much different than an hour or 2 long brace.
"real dogs have beards"

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
« Reply #43 on: December 26, 2017, 10:41:10 AM »
Yes and No!  The best GSP’s in the country often slow in an all out hour.  Hunting is a paced sport, while 1hr trialing is balls to the walls, lay it all on the line or get picked up sport.  I’ve seen dogs that could “hunt all day”, and I wouldn’t own one.  Why?  Because there’s not a dog in the country that can hunt all day at the pace that I want.  They ALL get tired!!! 

Offline addicted2hunting

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #44 on: December 26, 2017, 12:07:43 PM »
This one is balls out for multiple days non stop... doesn't get tired. It's rough trying to even keep up with the dog. The dog also damn near swam to anacortes from bayview chasing a raft of ducks.
"real dogs have beards"

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1