collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2018 montana archery elk suggestions  (Read 2943 times)

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
2018 montana archery elk suggestions
« on: November 29, 2017, 10:31:13 AM »
It has been decided that myself, my old man, a buddy and possibly more are going to make a trip to montana for archery elk. We have hunted deer in Montana a number of years and elk a few times but the last time DIY was 15 or more years ago and it was rifle. We hunted outside of Twin Bridges so I am looking at that area again but just seeing if anybody has a suggestion for an area with some huntable ground that holds elk.? We don't really care about killing huge bulls, just the chance to chase some in September. The plan is to bring the wall tent and spend 7-10 days there along with a few scouting trips this summer.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline DaveMonti

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Re: 2018 montana archery elk suggestions
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2017, 10:40:05 AM »
I've been tentatively planning the same, so I'll tag along. 

The area I am most familiar with is the Madison Valley, south of Ennis.  I know there are a lot of predators there, and the elk seek refuge on private ground in valley when the firearm season is on, but I have no idea how it would be to hunt the archery season in the Gallatin or Beaverhead NF.  I suppose it might be possible to find an outfitter that would do a drop camp, but I've not researched it fully.

The hunt planner map on the MT website has links to the individual unit pages to check harvest stats for the previous year, so it's a good place to start to find units with decent harvests. 

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2017, 10:47:35 AM »
I've been tentatively planning the same, so I'll tag along. 

The area I am most familiar with is the Madison Valley, south of Ennis.  I know there are a lot of predators there, and the elk seek refuge on private ground in valley when the firearm season is on, but I have no idea how it would be to hunt the archery season in the Gallatin or Beaverhead NF.  I suppose it might be possible to find an outfitter that would do a drop camp, but I've not researched it fully.

The hunt planner map on the MT website has links to the individual unit pages to check harvest stats for the previous year, so it's a good place to start to find units with decent harvests.

I have been scouring the hunt planner and found some options. We were initially planning to do an oregon drop camp but decided that since we were already going to be buying and hunting deer in Montana, we could save a good chunk of money going DIY for elk. We are all boots on the ground, get deep in the hills type of people so our main goal is just finding a place with public ground, a place to camp and a few elk around.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2017, 10:50:12 AM »
There are several places, tons of public land.  The Crazy mountains are known for elk back in away from people in areas that favor the fit.  Gallatins has tons of public land, Big Belts, the list goes on.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2017, 10:57:26 AM »
There are several places, tons of public land.  The Crazy mountains are known for elk back in away from people in areas that favor the fit.  Gallatins has tons of public land, Big Belts, the list goes on.

The westside of the crazies is on my list. We hunted deer down around big timber a few years ago and heard good things. I know the eastside, which is the best elk hunting, is permit for branched bulls. Appreciate the ideas!

Offline deerslyr

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2017, 08:12:09 PM »
The crazies are very checker boarded and the majority of the elk will be on or near private land during the rut.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 04:32:13 AM »
The crazies are very checker boarded and the majority of the elk will be on or near private land during the rut.

Roger that. I saw the checkerboard but was hoping they would still be up a little higher.

Offline ribka

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • That's what she said
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 05:03:16 AM »
Little Belt mountains

Not so much pressure and better access than crazy mountains

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 05:10:41 AM »
Hunted the little belts for years not much for brow tine bulls there anymore, Canyon ferry lake side or North side
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 06:45:52 AM »
Little Belt mountains

Not so much pressure and better access than crazy mountains

Thanks tom!  From what I can see, archery is cow only but I will make certain.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 06:57:51 AM by vandeman17 »

Offline HighCountryHunter88

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 07:10:20 AM »

The westside of the crazies is on my list. We hunted deer down around big timber a few years ago and heard good things. I know the eastside, which is the best elk hunting, is permit for branched bulls. Appreciate the ideas!

my experience in the crazies is that the bulls are not living on public for the most part. cows are low on the ranches and you will hear bulls at night traveling through but when you catch up to them before daylight they always make it well into private where the the cows are. the few access areas for public are very busy. little belts have more access but more people. ive killed bulls there though
-Matt

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 07:39:17 AM »

my experience in the crazies is that the bulls are not living on public for the most part. cows are low on the ranches and you will hear bulls at night traveling through but when you catch up to them before daylight they always make it well into private where the the cows are. the few access areas for public are very busy. little belts have more access but more people. ive killed bulls there though

Maybe I was looking at the wrong unit info then. In the little belts you can shoot branched bulls otc? What unit number?

Offline HighCountryHunter88

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2017, 08:59:17 AM »
idk the # off hand but it was eastern little belts last time i was in there was 5 years ago so it may have changed
-Matt

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 09:08:12 AM »
idk the # off hand but it was eastern little belts last time i was in there was 5 years ago so it may have changed

I was mistaken and looking at the wrong area on the hunt planner.

Sep 02 – Oct 15
Either-sex Elk. Archery Only Season.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal