collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What does ya think about this instead of a tent???  (Read 5012 times)

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
What does ya think about this instead of a tent???
« on: November 30, 2017, 07:54:57 AM »
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B06XXCKTZ6/ref=twister_B01N2BAJSP?_encoding=UTF8&th=1          I am thinking of buying one for back country camp.  Expeditions with the utv to get deep then a tarp on ground and set camp?  Seems clever and plenty functional to me?  Any pros or cons??
MAGA!  Again..

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
Re: What does ya think about this instead of a tent???
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 07:57:44 AM »
The strength of those things sucks. I had one in my backyard, sort of forgot about it, roof sagged with rain and eventually collapsed. Had legs pointing every which way...just trashed it.
I'd think you can buy a decent tent for almost the same money and definitely lighter weight.

Unrelated, but where are you going to be able to get deep on a UTV? Out of state?
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2017, 08:00:02 AM »
First wind gust.   :tdown:

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #3 on: November 30, 2017, 08:09:45 AM »
Yes, planning on Id next year.  Are ya guys talking about this one or others like Ozark and Harbor freight?  I know they are much cheaper weaker.  This one is commercial, cordura, hex strong legs, staked down etc.  But I dunno if its really that good or not.?  Weight isn't a concern.  Thinking a spike camp type use.  I hate tents and a canvas wall is so expensive.  I have a great older Salmon River tent but its huge, 20"x16'.  Tents just suck though. Might be a poor idea?
MAGA!  Again..

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2017, 08:14:33 AM »
Why do you think tents suck?

I'd buy this.
http://www.kodiakcanvas.com/10-x-10-ft-flex-bow-canvas-tent-deluxe/
Granted, it's twice as much money, but I think the benefits in a situation like yours would far outweigh the cost.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: November 30, 2017, 08:16:34 AM »
I’m just thinking of all the ones I see at all the soccer games.   I mean I’m sure it’s a shelter.  Heck half the time I’m sleeping under a tree, so its better than that right?  I’m just thinking if you want to compare it to a good tent say for late season, not good.  Compared to a tarp in October or a tree in Sept.  sure

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2017, 08:17:02 AM »
No door, no ventilation.
I'd be concerned with condensation.

Offline JDHasty

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: NRA Benefactor Member, GOA Life Member, Father of 3 NRA Life Members
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2017, 08:19:46 AM »
Other than the fact that they will not withstand wind, or snow... 

Offline kselkhunter

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: November 30, 2017, 08:43:06 AM »
I think your biggest challenge is shape of the roof on that thing.  Snow load would be a problem.   

For winds, there are plenty of ways to stake that down both at the legs and at the top corners with tie-outs.  I have just a pop up canopy of similar design but without the zip sides, and properly staked mine survived quite a few storms on some trips.   I never tested heavy snow load on it though, not sure it would survive. 

Personally, I'd just get a four season tent.  That link jackelope included for the Kodiak is pretty cool.   

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #9 on: November 30, 2017, 08:44:37 AM »
We used one in 2016 for a cook shack, it didn’t have sides that came with it, we just put tarps on three sides, used a propane heater to heat it. It worked good to be out of the weather, like two feet of snow, we added two 10’ sections of pvc pipe to the roof supports on all four roof sections but we still had to knock the snow off to keep it from collapsing. Wind wasn’t a factor as it was partially protected by the wall tent and lay of the land.

I think early September/ October seasons no problem.  :twocents:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #10 on: November 30, 2017, 08:47:46 AM »
We used one in 2016 for a cook shack, it didn’t have sides that came with it, we just put tarps on three sides, used a propane heater to heat it. It worked good to be out of the weather, like two feet of snow, we added two 10’ sections of pvc pipe to the roof supports on all four roof sections but we still had to knock the snow off to keep it from collapsing. Wind wasn’t a factor as it was partially protected by the wall tent and lay of the land.

I think early September/ October seasons no problem.  :twocents:

But we have since went to a wall tent with a Costco garage frame cut to fit it.  :tup:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline elkinrutdrivemenuts

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: November 30, 2017, 08:52:26 AM »
Doesn't matter the brand, that design is not great at withstanding wind.  You would need to camp down in the bottom to avoid wind gusts.  The Kodiak is a good option, but it will take up some space in your UTV.  Probably not much more than that quick shelter though.  You could also look for a smaller wall tent, 10x10 or so and use that.  There are good deals to be had on those things if you look on Craigslist from time to time.

Offline quadrafire

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2017, 09:45:32 AM »
I use one of the sports canopies for my Truck camping. I set it up over the back of my truck that has canopy on the bed. ( I sleep in the truck bed).  A make shift campsite I can set up/take down in 5-10 min w/ a propane stove and small collapsible table and chairs. Perfect for me solo camping where I can drive to. I'm usually in a forested area and have never had a wind problem. The legs are flimsy and putting up and down solo creates some extra strain on them but I have mastered that  ;).
On the other hand I have used the same canopy at soccer games and set up on an open field, they catch every breeze and will blow over super easy even if staked. Legs get bent then your are screwed and you can't collapse them back into place.
That price looks high to me for what you get.  :dunno:

They will handle a small amt of snow, but not much

I have also wrapped the sides with tarps and with a propane heater is quite cozy.
I like this set up with the truck better than sleeping on the ground in a tent.

Offline Buckmark

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2017, 09:54:40 AM »
I use one of the sports canopies for my Truck camping. I set it up over the back of my truck that has canopy on the bed. ( I sleep in the truck bed).  A make shift campsite I can set up/take down in 5-10 min w/ a propane stove and small collapsible table and chairs. Perfect for me solo camping where I can drive to. I'm usually in a forested area and have never had a wind problem. The legs are flimsy and putting up and down solo creates some extra strain on them but I have mastered that  ;).
On the other hand I have used the same canopy at soccer games and set up on an open field, they catch every breeze and will blow over super easy even if staked. Legs get bent then your are screwed and you can't collapse them back into place.
That price looks high to me for what you get.  :dunno:

They will handle a small amt of snow, but not much

I have also wrapped the sides with tarps and with a propane heater is quite cozy.
I like this set up with the truck better than sleeping on the ground in a tent.
I have done this  same setup alot and use a tarp around the back of the truck/canopy to enclose it and it is very comfy sleeping in the canopy and having the ezup all setup with propane heater, propane cook stove, water jugg, chairs , lantern etc.
I do use an ezup brand shelter which is well built and sturdy, does need to be staked down so it wont fly in winds and i also have sides for it that fit all around and zip up tight.  :tup:
To hunt and butcher an animal is to recognize that meat is not some abstract form of protein that springs into existence tightly wrapped in cellophane and styrofoam.

Offline WaltAlpine

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
  • Westside address - Eastside Heart
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2017, 09:58:09 AM »
Ya, What everybody else said.
If it snows you are in a pile. Wind and you are in a pile.
We have a canvas tent and it's well worth the money.
I also use a truck tent for certain situations.
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 10:11:05 AM by WaltAlpine »

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand