collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What does ya think about this instead of a tent???  (Read 5018 times)

Offline jackmaster

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
Re: What does ya think about this instead of a tent???
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2017, 10:14:16 AM »
If your looking for cheap and light you can make a hell of a shelter with a 12x14 tarp and a couple of 12x12s for the ends and 100' of rope
my grandpa always said "if it aint broke dont fix it"

Offline jamesfromseattle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2017, 11:48:04 AM »
I switched from an EZ-up style tent to one of these:  http://www.gazelletents.com/gazelle-6-sided-portable-gazebo

They are lighter, faster, and a little better in bad whether.  Also good bug protections.  Still has the problems everyone else mentioned, but to a lesser degree.

Not right for every situation, but mine gets a lot of use.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2017, 12:02:46 PM »
So when you say back country camp you don't intend to pack this in very far do you? Or are you meaning car camping?
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2017, 12:47:29 PM »
I switched from an EZ-up style tent to one of these:  http://www.gazelletents.com/gazelle-6-sided-portable-gazebo

They are lighter, faster, and a little better in bad whether.  Also good bug protections.  Still has the problems everyone else mentioned, but to a lesser degree.

Not right for every situation, but mine gets a lot of use.

This looks great.  I've done the shelter over the back of the truck as well and it has worked.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2017, 01:03:50 PM »
So when you say back country camp you don't intend to pack this in very far do you? Or are you meaning car camping?

He's riding it in on a UTV.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #20 on: November 30, 2017, 03:24:22 PM »
The one I linked is a commercial vendor type.  SUPPOSED to be heavy duty cordura, zippered waterproof seems and sturdy hex shaped legs.  I was hoping someone has one to verify.  It does have a window with bug screen and a door.  Sew in a stove flap and wallaalla!  Kodiak is great but costs more.  Weights and size are comparable.  This would be for Sept type hunts NOT winter snow storms!  If that was the case I would do a shed tarp above it.  Good advice guys, thanks.  It was just a spur of moment idea I get al the time.  I like to be creative and cheap DIY inspires me! :chuckle:  Example today I bought a 13hp Predator engine for my 4000psi pressure washer I built.  Wow it really gets after it now!  $299 with elect start!
MAGA!  Again..

Offline Alchase

• Explorer
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2017, 03:35:35 PM »
I have used a 12 x 12 Sunshade popup with a bug screen as a cook shack for over 10 years. It has worked great!
You need to be conscious of wind, I have never had an issue. I just pick good camp spots, LOL
« Last Edit: November 30, 2017, 03:41:11 PM by Alchase »
Only 2 defining forces sacrificed themselves for you:
The American Soldier and Jesus Christ. One died for your freedom, the other for your soul.

My rock,
He trains my hands for war and my fingers for battle.
Psalm 144.1

Offline Zardoz

• Meme Lord
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
  • Groups: NRA,GOA
« Reply #22 on: November 30, 2017, 03:40:15 PM »
Looks just like what Costco sells.  Looking at the pictures on the website, it seems like if you buy two of them they provide a bunch of girls to help you set it up.   :tup:
“It is the responsibility of the patriot to protect his country from its government.”—Thomas Paine

Certa Bonum Certamen
SILENCE LIKE A CANCER,...GROWS.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #23 on: November 30, 2017, 03:53:22 PM »
You might want to talk to @ghosthunter about using a portable carport as a tent. He uses one. I believe it's more used as a cook shack, but might be something you'd want to consider.

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Online ghosthunter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #24 on: November 30, 2017, 05:10:43 PM »
You might want to talk to @ghosthunter about using a portable carport as a tent. He uses one. I believe it's more used as a cook shack, but might be something you'd want to consider.

Yeah we have used a Costco canopy for about 15 years as a cook shack. One of the old ones. We can move the ends in when there only couple guys or full set up for 12.
We cut a stove jack in it and run a three dog stove.
Couple time we have slept in it. We cut 6 inches off the legs to get a better ground seal.
They will fly so you gota stake them down . We were in 50 mile gusts elk hunting a few years ago and did fine.

To the op ,if you want something like you posted. They make one you can add rooms too. You can add up to three separate rooms around the center. You the center to cook in. My buddy showed up in elk camp with it and it held up fine in some wind. I think he got it at  Walmart, Costco ummm I will ask.

Maybe I have pics?
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Online ghosthunter

• Trade Count: (+19)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #25 on: November 30, 2017, 05:16:30 PM »
The Costco canopy.
GHOST CAMP "We Came To Hunt"
Proud Parent of A United States Marine

We are all traveling from Birth to the Packing House. ( Broken Trail)

“I f he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.” ― Theodore Roosevelt

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #26 on: November 30, 2017, 05:17:19 PM »

That bottom one looks familiar...

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #27 on: November 30, 2017, 05:43:48 PM »
I love it.  Yes Costco sells em.  Ozark Walmart has the one with tent rooms off the sides.  I considered it but wanted more heavy duty thus the commercial search and find.  Obviosly I could use it at work as a cutting station on jobsites or a shade barby for the grill or kids swimming tub etc.  I am leaning towards trying it out! Glad to see others using em for various hunting uses.  If it came with girls to help set up I'm sure I could take advantage of that perk!  Or not.....but then everyone would buy em up.
MAGA!  Again..

Offline Pegasus

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2017, 06:33:37 PM »
I think this is what you are looking for, occupant extra with lifetime payout contract:

Offline hunterbuilder

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2017, 06:50:48 PM »
I purchased this one this year for work as a cut station/shade area and to take to camp for a cook station shelter. It's an abccanopy commercial canopy off of Amazon. Paid $200 on sale and it came with 4 walls ( one with a zipper door) and an awning for extra shade. It's definitely more heavy duty than the cheaper ones. So far I like it.

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal