collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Chiwawa special permits  (Read 10708 times)

Offline The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
Re: Chiwawa special permits
« Reply #45 on: December 05, 2017, 03:19:12 PM »
Watched this buck for a minute before the fog rolled in and he disappeared. Not a shooter. This day was really weird because there was know wind but the thermals had the fog moving quickly.

Love seeing guys hunting off a sled! See many deer up in area high enough to actually run the machine?

Ya saw the most deer up there. I only made up there twice for good hunts the fog was killer. Would spot deer and then it would sock in, I would wait an hour or more waiting for it to lift then move on. There was lots of deer down low also just seemed to be resident deer.

Offline The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #46 on: December 05, 2017, 03:27:12 PM »
Congrats on the buck highhunter! I probably would of shot that buck if I only had a couple days as well. I believe I talked to your brother also. I ended up passing the same 3 by 4 he did after I watched it break an antler off another smaller 4 point.

Offline Muleyslyr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #47 on: December 05, 2017, 06:24:05 PM »
Cool buck!  :tup:

Offline mp.hunter

• Longhunter
« Reply #48 on: December 05, 2017, 08:25:31 PM »
Nice buck Jared👍🏻

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline highhunter

• Hunter
« Reply #49 on: December 05, 2017, 09:12:53 PM »
Thanks Mike and everyone else. gls, my brother saw 17 bucks the last two days but most of his time was spent in the fog. Never found what he was looking for but plans on redeeming himself next year on the high hunt (he passed on a couple low-170 bucks holding out for the late tag);)

Offline higbee

• Pilgrim
« Reply #50 on: December 05, 2017, 09:50:11 PM »
Late Archery has been a bust, 1 nice late buck seen, otherwise 6 to 7 bucks a day nothing to write home about. All 7 hunters hunting the same area. The fog laid in for the first few days of the tag, which made it hard to hunt.

Offline gls

• Tracker
« Reply #51 on: December 06, 2017, 08:42:55 PM »
Sure enjoyed visiting with Chuck, great guy and his buddy too, I was pretty sick most of my hunt and did not see what I was looking for, saw an average of 6 bucks a day, all small but fun to watch, thank you for the update on your brother was hoping to hear he got a good one, but he will, that is a great buck you got and saw a pic of a good one a guy got with a muzzle loader, but congrats and please tell Chuck hello for me, Gary

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #52 on: December 06, 2017, 09:06:39 PM »
6 bucks a day is good for Chiwawa, it is not the Entiat or Swakane. I think the big problem right now is that very few of those are mature. You guys did well with your bucks!

Offline The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #53 on: December 06, 2017, 09:09:49 PM »
Sure enjoyed visiting with Chuck, great guy and his buddy too, I was pretty sick most of my hunt and did not see what I was looking for, saw an average of 6 bucks a day, all small but fun to watch, thank you for the update on your brother was hoping to hear he got a good one, but he will, that is a great buck you got and saw a pic of a good one a guy got with a muzzle loader, but congrats and please tell Chuck hello for me, Gary
[/quote

Hey Gls was that you in the white tacoma?

Offline jstone

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #54 on: December 07, 2017, 07:41:19 AM »
So where would the mature bucks be? If there are still does being seen.? The swakane has been slow with the mature bucks to.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #55 on: December 07, 2017, 08:00:07 AM »
The higher elevations of the unit
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #56 on: December 07, 2017, 08:56:10 AM »
So where would the mature bucks be? If there are still does being seen.? The swakane has been slow with the mature bucks to.

I just don't think there are a lot of them right now.  Those units got hammered in 2015 with the drought and early migration.  Entiat general buck harvest went from 170 in 2013, to 197 in 2014, to 355 in 2015 (!), and back to 225 in 2016.  Chiwawa and the other surrounding units had the same issue, albeit with smaller numbers.  The 3 points that got shot in 2015 would be your mature bucks now.  Still deer around, just the mix of mature bucks to young bucks and does is off. 

Offline Muleyslyr

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #57 on: December 07, 2017, 06:21:37 PM »

I just don't think there are a lot of them right now.  Those units got hammered in 2015 with the drought and early migration.  Entiat general buck harvest went from 170 in 2013, to 197 in 2014, to 355 in 2015 (!), and back to 225 in 2016.  Chiwawa and the other surrounding units had the same issue, albeit with smaller numbers.  The 3 points that got shot in 2015 would be your mature bucks now.  Still deer around, just the mix of mature bucks to young bucks and does is off. 

Well said, good facts....couldn't agree more!

Offline highhunter

• Hunter
« Reply #58 on: December 07, 2017, 07:40:45 PM »
Gary, Chuck felt horrible for you.Said you looked like you were feeling pretty low. Sorry about that; hunting in the snow is not the funnest thing to be doing when you’re sick. muleyslyer, I think you are spot on when it comes to buck numbers and age class. I know it only takes one big one to make it an amazing season but when you look at dozens of migratory bucks and you only see a couple big tracks out of hundreds in the snow (both low elevation and high) it tells you something about the current herd composition. :twocents:

Offline Limhangerslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2017, 08:24:48 PM »
That's exactly what I dealt with.  Just didn't have the age class I was looking for.  Hopefully pics go through.  Not Chiwawa but close.

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal