collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: 2018 Idaho Tags  (Read 10775 times)

Offline Limhangerslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
Re: 2018 Idaho Tags
« Reply #30 on: December 04, 2017, 10:02:42 PM »
I would study all the harvest reports general and draw. Decide what type of country you like to hunt. Idaho is about as mixed terrain as it gets. And wait a couple months. Most capped tags don't sell out. IDFG is good about updating the # avail as it is. I would put in for a draw, it cant hurt, then buy general if needed. There are no guarantee harvest elk units in Idaho anymore, unfortunately.

I have searched all over their website and dont see where they even mention the capped tags let alone update how many are currently available by area/unit.  Does someone have a link?  I realize its still hunting and not killing, but just trying to up my odds by getting into an area that has a decent elk poplulation.  I have only hunted Unit 1 and Unit 78 in Idaho, so I am trying to learn as I go.  Unit 1 had very few elk and I seen 10 moose to every elk in the unit while I was moose hunting.  Unit 78 had a few elk down low, but up high we seen only one bull when my wife was hunting mule deer.  I think I need to focus my attention more towards cental Idaho, so I will keep researching.  Thanks for the help so far, it is much appreciated.   :brew:
if you are going to hunt for sure and don't want to miss out.  Buy the tag you want first, if you draw you turn that one in. 

Go into the search bar to license, then tag quotas.  It usually takes them a couple weeks to get going on the remaining tags left. 

Offline ballpark

• Salty
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #31 on: December 05, 2017, 08:28:00 AM »
Solid advice fishgamereeper, I will look them up. If I'm just looking for a meat hunt, am I better off just putting in for a controlled hunt cow permit and forgoing buying a capped tag right now?

I would buy the capped antlered tag then apply for your controlled hunt(antlerless).  If you don't get drawn you have a tag, if you get drawn you have to return you antlered tag to get the controlled hunt(antlerless).  This is what I did last year :tup:

« Last Edit: December 14, 2017, 07:57:47 AM by ballpark »

Offline ballpark

• Salty
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #32 on: December 05, 2017, 08:31:42 AM »
I would study all the harvest reports general and draw. Decide what type of country you like to hunt. Idaho is about as mixed terrain as it gets. And wait a couple months. Most capped tags don't sell out. IDFG is good about updating the # avail as it is. I would put in for a draw, it cant hurt, then buy general if needed. There are no guarantee harvest elk units in Idaho anymore, unfortunately.

I have searched all over their website and dont see where they even mention the capped tags let alone update how many are currently available by area/unit.  Does someone have a link?  I realize its still hunting and not killing, but just trying to up my odds by getting into an area that has a decent elk poplulation.  I have only hunted Unit 1 and Unit 78 in Idaho, so I am trying to learn as I go.  Unit 1 had very few elk and I seen 10 moose to every elk in the unit while I was moose hunting.  Unit 78 had a few elk down low, but up high we seen only one bull when my wife was hunting mule deer.  I think I need to focus my attention more towards cental Idaho, so I will keep researching.  Thanks for the help so far, it is much appreciated.   :brew:

Non resident capped tags are 10% of the total # for that unit.  Do the math and roll the dice on whether non-resident will sell out. Just my opinion :tup:

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #33 on: December 05, 2017, 08:46:40 AM »

Non resident capped tags are 10% of the total # for that unit.  Do the math and roll the dice on whether non-resident will sell out. Just my opinion :tup:

Also keep in mind the unsold outfitter allotted tags get rolled into the capped non res. quota late in the summer. I think this year most all the non res capped tag units had left over tags in August. I would have to look but I think only a couple sold out.

Online Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #34 on: December 07, 2017, 01:28:14 PM »
I drew a Idaho Non-Resident Hound Permit for 2018!!  So I'll be chasing lions, bobcats and then bears in the spring and fall!
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #35 on: December 07, 2017, 04:51:17 PM »
I drew a Idaho Non-Resident Hound Permit for 2018!!  So I'll be chasing lions, bobcats and then bears in the spring and fall!
Along with an auto cannon and wolf tag I hope...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Online Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
« Reply #36 on: December 07, 2017, 07:40:59 PM »

Yep!!!!
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #37 on: December 07, 2017, 10:02:33 PM »

Yep!!!!
Stackem like cord wood!

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: December 08, 2017, 06:25:34 AM »
Personally if I were starting from scratch. I'd look as success rates of controlled hunts that start 1 Oct and then go archery hunt one of the units with super high success rates on those hunts.
For rifle I'd just look at success rates in the units for the limited quota zones.
For hunting I'd get off my ATV or side-by-side...careful this tactic is highly frowned upon.
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline ballpark

• Salty
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2017, 02:36:35 PM »
2018 Nonresident Elk Quotas

Nonresident Deer and Elk Quotas

Quotas - Last update 12/4/2017.
Tag Type                   Quota        Available
General Deer Tag   12,015   11,856
White-tailed Deer Tag   1,500   Not available until nonresident general deer are sold out

Elk Zone Name                          Quota   Available

TOTAL Nonresident Elk Tags   10,415   9,453

Bear River Zone - B Tag               55   SOLD OUT
Diamond Creek Zone - A Tag       643   SOLD OUT
Dworshak Zone - B Tag               215   197
Elk City Zone - B Tag                     326   308
Lolo Zone - A Tag                       216   211
Lolo Zone - B Tag                       222   218
Middle Fork Zone - A Tag               174   167
Middle Fork Zone - B Tag               267   248
Salmon Zone - B Tag                       830   734
Sawtooth Zone - A Tag                 43   NOT AVAILABLE
Sawtooth Zone - B Tag               167   NOT AVAILABLE
Selway Zone - A Tag                       254   253
Selway Zone - B Tag                       284   254
Weiser River Zone - A Tag               150   104
Weiser River Zone - B Tag               430   413
All Other Zones                           6,719   6,140

Offline beav1980

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Hunter
« Reply #40 on: December 28, 2017, 02:05:01 PM »
Are the elk season dates posted as well?

Offline Cougeyes

• Longhunter
« Reply #41 on: December 28, 2017, 02:38:11 PM »
Does anyone know when IDFG will crunch their harvest statistics and post it online for the 2017 harvest?

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #42 on: December 28, 2017, 02:52:18 PM »
Are the elk season dates posted as well?
Same seasons as last year. They run 2 yer cycles in Idaho

Offline beav1980

• Hunter
« Reply #43 on: December 28, 2017, 03:26:59 PM »
Thanks

Offline beav1980

• Hunter
« Reply #44 on: December 28, 2017, 07:40:39 PM »