collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Cabelas Big Horn tent  (Read 4886 times)

Offline Gamehunter034

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Cabelas Big Horn tent
« on: December 04, 2017, 07:13:51 PM »
Looking for some insight on pros and cons on the big horn tent. It would occupied by 2 maybe 3 hunters. My father has the 12x12 alaknak which I do like and have hunted out of but I'm considering getting one for myself. I might have the opportunity to pick up a big horn so I'm considering it however have never been in one and not sure on overall space. I have not decided on heating source yet as far as going with a stove or using mr buddy heater. I have a travel trailer but but would like the option of a tent depending on area and accessibility I decide to hunt. Thanks in advance!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A bad day hunting or fishing is better than a good day at work"

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
Re: Cabelas Big Horn tent
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2017, 07:20:33 PM »
We had a bighorn and I liked it overall. We heated it with buddy heater which was nice but condensation was an issue sometimes. The one thing I didn't care for was the overall shape and how to efficiently use the shape. Between cots, tables etc it felt like the shape led to wasted space.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2017, 07:23:57 PM »
We had a bighorn and I liked it overall. We heated it with buddy heater which was nice but condensation was an issue sometimes. The one thing I didn't care for was the overall shape and how to efficiently use the shape. Between cots, tables etc it felt like the shape led to wasted space.
I don’t care for the shape inside either, I think the Alaknak utilizes the space better. Wood stove is always the way to go!
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Gamehunter034

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2017, 07:26:10 PM »

Yeah i know the condensation can potentially be an issue but I think thats with most tents. Looking at pictures I figure without a stove and proper organization I could get 3 medium size cots in there if I needed to.

Offline carlyoungs

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2017, 07:27:10 PM »
Just bought one a couple weeks ago. I like it better than the alaknak since it has no center poles. It is really easy to set up too. I have a wood stove that came with it. The only problem is the thing burns wood way too fast. It was super cold out and it didn't have a tarp over it. It is perfect for 2-3 people in it. A big buddy heater would probably keep it warm. I would get it

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2017, 07:28:53 PM »

Yeah i know the condensation can potentially be an issue but I think thats with most tents. Looking at pictures I figure without a stove and proper organization I could get 3 medium size cots in there if I needed to.

3 medium cots will be fine but any full or oversized cots and you have to practice your geometry skills to try and be efficient
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline Gamehunter034

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2017, 07:28:53 PM »
I don’t care for the shape inside either, I think the Alaknak utilizes the space better. Wood stove is always the way to go!

I agree the woodstove is definitely nice to have natural warm heat, if I hunt early archery I don't think I would need the stove depending on elevation that is. If I get into late hunt and its just me or a buddy then I would go stove route. If it were me and 2 buddies to save space I feel like it would be easier to run propane and save on some space.

Offline Gamehunter034

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2017, 07:39:30 PM »

3 medium cots will be fine but any full or oversized cots and you have to practice your geometry skills to try and be efficient

Lol great. I suck at math! I'll make someone sleep outside lol

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #8 on: December 09, 2017, 01:52:13 PM »
I love ours, it is a palace for one guy, very nice for 2 and cozy for three.  That assumes cold weather hunting conditions, earlier in the season is a different story if you don't need a stove and a ton of gear.

If you don't have cots yet, look at the bunk ones, they work great for when I take the family.

With three guys, I would want to have the vestibule to be able to hold coolers and gear out of the weather to free up space inside.

Offline syoungs

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 10:37:53 AM »
I wanted a bigger tent, so went with the alaknak 12x20. but the big horn was a close 2nd, the quality of both is awesome, and I LOVE my alakanak. eventually I will buy another 12x12 alaknak to use as extra gear storage/bunk house, or for when im only going solo or with 1 other guy.

I don't think youll be disappointed with the big horn if the size works for you.

Offline Gamehunter034

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 07:43:35 PM »
I love ours, it is a palace for one guy, very nice for 2 and cozy for three.  That assumes cold weather hunting conditions, earlier in the season is a different story if you don't need a stove and a ton of gear.

If you don't have cots yet, look at the bunk ones, they work great for when I take the family.

With three guys, I would want to have the vestibule to be able to hold coolers and gear out of the weather to free up space inside.

thank you for the info!

Offline Gamehunter034

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 07:44:39 PM »
I wanted a bigger tent, so went with the alaknak 12x20. but the big horn was a close 2nd, the quality of both is awesome, and I LOVE my alakanak. eventually I will buy another 12x12 alaknak to use as extra gear storage/bunk house, or for when im only going solo or with 1 other guy.

I don't think youll be disappointed with the big horn if the size works for you.

12x12 is nice my father has one we've easily fit 3 guys in it and still had plenty of room. 12x20 must feel like a mansion lol. Thanks man

Offline blackveltbowhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
  • BLAM
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 06:46:17 PM »
I picked up a bighorn and have been very happy overall. I agreee the shape is not the most efficient use of space. But for the size it was the easiest for me to setup solo, which was an important factor for me. I have used a full size outfitter cot with a rack, and bunk cots and a small table along with a stove. 2 of us had tons of room. And my family of 5 is comfy without the stove. I plan to get a vestibule and along with a pop up out front would leave plenty of room to cook and store gear.  I would encourage using a tarp if planning prolonged exposure to inclement weather.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 06:50:54 PM »
Why chose these cables tents over wall tents? :dunno:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline syoungs

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2017, 07:42:55 PM »
I chose the alaknak based on a few things. I don't have a large spot to dry a wet tent, and at times my schedule will unexpectedly pull me away for a day or 2. The alaknak is much more forgiving of being put away wet/damp. storageand transport was another reason. I looked at a 14x16 wall tent, and it was a much larger package to pack around and store.
Using it in the summer, I was told the alaknak wouldnt be so hot/stuffy, no first hand experience with that though

The biggest reason for me, I just liked the alaknak more then canvas.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]