collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: What do I need to know?  (Read 3753 times)

Offline SniperDanWA

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, WFW
Re: What do I need to know?
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2017, 07:22:27 AM »
I’d go to Doug at Great NW Archery in Puyallup.  Doug will Help size you, allow you to shoot, give you advice.  I bought several bows and accessories there.
"We would accomplish many more things if we did not think of them as
impossible." - Vince Lombardi

Offline usmc74

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA (Life), RMEF, SAF (Life), American Legion (Life), Master Hunter
« Reply #16 on: November 19, 2017, 08:48:51 AM »
Yes, go to a pro archery shop.  If we don't use them, buy stuff, they won't be here anymore

Offline Coug18

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #17 on: November 20, 2017, 06:26:04 PM »
Im in the same boat as OP but would like to buy a bow that I wont have to replace a few years in because I have out grown it. What are your thoughts on buying new or used bows over the internet on places like Ebay. Is not having the warranty but saving money by going that route worth it?

Offline SniperDanWA

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, WFW
« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2017, 06:06:31 AM »
I’ve bought three bows via eBay.  I was burned on one and now can find better deals locally on OfferUp, HuntWA, or at pro shops on previous year models.   The one I was burned on was due to my lack of knowledge at the time.  I personally think the warranty isn’t worth the money.  There are a lot of sites that are better than eBay though.  Take for instance, HuntWA.  Several bows for sale, many just like new.  Unlike others who might buy a new bow every year, I was buying every few months for kids as they were growing - lefty and righty. 

When my son turned 19, he bought a Hoyt Charger, new.  At the same time, I bought a PSE Stinger.  We both bought new.  The speed is comparable.  The weight of mine is slightly more.  The accuracy, well, I think that depends on the eye and release used, but I can shoot his a bit cleaner and more on target than mine.  These bows will last us for a few years, mine probably is the last I’ll buy.

Research, go to a pro shop and handle bows, ask questions, and see if they have any used ones for sale.  I also joined an archery range, which gave me access to shoot more often and in different terrain, as well as to people (many who mentored my children, wife and I).  After being there for several months, I bought three bows, two recurve (1 new) and a compound.  The big box stores seem to rotate staff too often for me.  Occasionally there is someone behind the desk with great knowledge and application of the trade.
"We would accomplish many more things if we did not think of them as
impossible." - Vince Lombardi

Offline Hot Lunch

• Hunter
« Reply #19 on: November 26, 2017, 07:22:12 PM »
Bow technology hasnt changed much in the past 10 years. I would buy a used flagship Hoyt, bowtech, Prime, PSE whatever and go from there. If you are wanting to hunt elk and deer get a 70 lb bow and turn it down to start. I would pickup a used bow off archery talk. Bows lose value crazy fast, devaluing 30% in a year, then 40-50% years 2-4. buy quality targets and arrows. Geek out, I build my own arrows and have learned a lot from NockOn archery. I would shoot a variety of releases, including back tension, tension, thumb and hinge.  If you grab a strap you will be punching the trigger in no time and set up for failure long term.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]