collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Timber farm bear hunts 'illegal,' Humane Society says  (Read 10031 times)

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
Re: Timber farm bear hunts 'illegal,' Humane Society says
« Reply #30 on: December 06, 2017, 04:08:17 PM »
I actually hope HSUS sticks it to the wdfw. Then the Wdfw has to play the card that the law itself unjust. Wa state constitution says a law cannot have two subject matters.

I agree that the law should have never been upheld. But who I see this hurting the most are the hound hunters who still had a way to hunt their dogs. That is why HSUS wants to stop this.
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #31 on: December 06, 2017, 04:10:58 PM »
The state should push for more public hunting and access on that land as a first means of control before they go to any of the methods mentioned.  There should be a way to strike a deal, maybe say the timber company can allow 50 free access special permit draw hunts and then the department will trap/shoot/bomb/whatever an equal amount of bears?  I would look for a win/win/stick-it-to-HSUS option here.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #32 on: December 06, 2017, 04:15:08 PM »
The state should push for more public hunting and access on that land as a first means of control before they go to any of the methods mentioned.  There should be a way to strike a deal, maybe say the timber company can allow 50 free access special permit draw hunts and then the department will trap/shoot/bomb/whatever an equal amount of bears?  I would look for a win/win/stick-it-to-HSUS option here.
This is what the timber companies should push for...

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #33 on: December 06, 2017, 04:17:14 PM »
feel free 2 hunt -  or they can  :pee:
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 04:39:17 PM by KFhunter »

Offline hhack

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #34 on: December 06, 2017, 04:38:38 PM »
I actually hope HSUS sticks it to the wdfw. Then the Wdfw has to play the card that the law itself unjust. Wa state constitution says a law cannot have two subject matters.

I agree that the law should have never been upheld. But who I see this hurting the most are the hound hunters who still had a way to hunt their dogs. That is why HSUS wants to stop this.

I don't see why hound hunters can't just chase bears without killing them. They can have a buddy tag along and wack the bear. Wdfw would have a fun time proving that if people were clever.

Offline Humptulips

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Old Salt
    • Washington State Trappers Association
  • Groups: WSTA, NTA, FTA, OTA, WWC, WFW, NRA
« Reply #35 on: December 06, 2017, 05:01:10 PM »
Legally the Department cannot force anyone to open their land to public hunting.
That should be a requirement before Special Permits are written except in unusual circumstances. See my post on the first page.
Now the department has nothing to give to strike a deal. Give them power to deny permits so they have some bargaining power.
Bruce Vandervort

Online JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #36 on: December 06, 2017, 05:07:49 PM »
It would only affect state houndsmen.  Tribal houndsmen would have another monopoly.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #37 on: December 06, 2017, 06:01:53 PM »
The Humane Society is one of the biggest frauds in the USA. They kill more animals than what they save.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #38 on: December 06, 2017, 06:32:55 PM »
Legally the Department cannot force anyone to open their land to public hunting.
That should be a requirement before Special Permits are written except in unusual circumstances. See my post on the first page.
Now the department has nothing to give to strike a deal. Give them power to deny permits so they have some bargaining power.

Not force, make a deal.  I'm not sure if they are legally required to help with bear damage the same way they do with wolf damage, so they may have some bargaining chips.  If nothing else, they could stop today until the lawsuits are over and settled.

Offline fireweed

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Sourdough
« Reply #39 on: December 06, 2017, 06:51:05 PM »
I don't feel sorry for the timber companies one whiff.  First off, they CHARGE for hunters to come and kill their problem bears, even for damage tags like west side spring bear.  Its ridiculous--complaining to the state about bear damage, then charging hunters access fees to kill their bears.

Where were they back 20 years ago when this was passed?  Did you see them out working with sportsmen to stop the initiative?  Nope--they got their open ended carve out courtesy of their lobbyists at WFPA, so they didn't care one bit that it passed.  And you can bet the HSUS and other anti-hunting sponsors were happy to put in that carve out to keep big timber money from fighting their initiative. 

This current bear situation is exactly why big timber needs the support of sportsmen, and visa versa.  But timber companies have turned their back on that win-win relationship, and now their gonna pay (too). 
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 06:57:58 PM by fireweed »

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #40 on: December 06, 2017, 07:45:04 PM »
I don't feel sorry for the timber companies one whiff.  First off, they CHARGE for hunters to come and kill their problem bears, even for damage tags like west side spring bear.  Its ridiculous--complaining to the state about bear damage, then charging hunters access fees to kill their bears.

Where were they back 20 years ago when this was passed?  Did you see them out working with sportsmen to stop the initiative?  Nope--they got their open ended carve out courtesy of their lobbyists at WFPA, so they didn't care one bit that it passed.  And you can bet the HSUS and other anti-hunting sponsors were happy to put in that carve out to keep big timber money from fighting their initiative. 

This current bear situation is exactly why big timber needs the support of sportsmen, and visa versa.  But timber companies have turned their back on that win-win relationship, and now their gonna pay (too).

Here here! :tup:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline HntnFsh

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #41 on: December 07, 2017, 05:34:47 AM »
can a private land owner hold the state liable for damages done to private property caused by state owned (the people) wildlife

Yes. The state does crop damage mitigation all the time.

Offline HighCountryHunter88

• Sourdough
« Reply #42 on: December 07, 2017, 07:25:58 AM »
can a private land owner hold the state liable for damages done to private property caused by state owned (the people) wildlife

Yes. The state does crop damage mitigation all the time.

so then the state really doesnt have anything to bargain with  :dunno: if they take away the hounds and snaring then the timber companies can just sue them for the damages... is what im guessing
-Matt

Online pianoman9701

• Mushroom Man
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Legend
  • WWC, NRA Life, WFW, NAGR, RMEF, WSB, NMLS #2014743
    • www.facebook.com/johnwallacemortgage
    • Apply for a loan
« Reply #43 on: December 07, 2017, 07:31:36 AM »

Here here! :tup:
:yeah: x2 Although, it'll probably be the taxpayers who pay for wildlife damages.
"Restricting the rights of law-abiding citizens based on the actions of criminals and madmen will have no positive effect on the future acts of criminals and madmen. It will only serve to reduce individual rights and the very security of our republic." - Pianoman

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #44 on: December 07, 2017, 08:53:40 AM »

Bearpaw is spot on.  It will be a sad day in Washington when there are no houndsmen to call after someone is mauled by a cougar.  Karelian bear dogs can't do everything.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 08:43:32 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]