collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Anyone CDS  (Read 3388 times)

Offline kentrek

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Anyone CDS
« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2017, 10:55:48 PM »
Thats exactly what i do....id rather miss a shot opportunity and play my chances at getting another then hope my cds is spot on for the random conditions that day just to get lead in the air.

Its just not worth it

Close range is different tho...range it...crank it within a few clicks and kill it....this crank and kill range is going to be different from hunter to hunter as my min accuracy requirements maybe different then yours....and thats a personal decision, not mine

This is another problem with the cds....it makes things look very simple for the average shooter...but the more ya learn the less you realize you knew

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #16 on: December 06, 2017, 11:22:24 PM »
I will have to use it for myself i guess because i have those same standards when shooting game.if it is spot on though within the window that is,Then i will come back to this thread and praise it.if its not well then everyone will hear about that also.

I will add this,i don't hunt with my hornady book and i dont have cell service in every area that i hunt so if you are the same and you are a hunter who has his or her ballistics taped to the side of rifle then you are also using the same ballistics as whats in my new dial.  :twocents:
The people i talked to about the cds say it is within 1 moa.
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline Oh Mah

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #17 on: December 06, 2017, 11:38:55 PM »
Thats exactly what i do....id rather miss a shot opportunity and play my chances at getting another then hope my cds is spot on for the random conditions that day just to get lead in the air.

Its just not worth it

Close range is different tho...range it...crank it within a few clicks and kill it....this crank and kill range is going to be different from hunter to hunter as my min accuracy requirements maybe different then yours....and thats a personal decision, not mine

This is another problem with the cds....it makes things look very simple for the average shooter...but the more ya learn the less you realize you knew
I think we agree for the most part,My dial will only go out to 700 yards.I was told it will hold between .5 inches and 2 inches between the 0 and 700 yard range.if it does this then it will be within my standards.My 2014 deer was 850 yards through the boiler without the c.d.s.if it works as good with and i am left with figuring the ballistics on a couple hundred more yards when that time arises then so be it.
"Boss of the woods"
(this is in reference to the biggie not me).

Offline Miles

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2017, 03:17:24 AM »
I didn't say it bye the way but anyway,time,time time,how long does it take most to figure the dope and keep an eye on their quarry?

1)range it

2)get the app out

3)figure the ballistics

4)did it move while you were getting the dope figures?

5)get range again ?

if your alone who does this while hunting?Unless the animal is bedded down your going home empty most of the time.  :twocents:

I just print a card for the area I’m hunting.   Range, look at card, dial, shoot.   The second step takes all of 1 second and by now I pretty much have it memorized.   My benefit with Moa turrets is the ability to change variables before a hunt and print a new card.  You are stuck with the cds and whatever information you had Leupold input.  I can hunt Washington at 2,000’ or Colorado at 11,000’ with the same turrets...  try that with a set of cds dials.

Offline Timberstalker

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • Just one more ridge
« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2017, 04:25:06 AM »
I didn't say it bye the way but anyway,time,time time,how long does it take most to figure the dope and keep an eye on their quarry?

1)range it

2)get the app out

3)figure the ballistics

5)get range again ?

if your alone who does this while hunting?Unless the animal is bedded down your going home empty most of the time.  :twocents:

I just print a card for the area I’m hunting.   Range, look at card, dial, shoot.   The second step takes all of 1 second and by now I pretty much have it memorized.   My benefit with Moa turrets is the ability to change variables before a hunt and print a new card.  You are stuck with the cds and whatever information you had Leupold input.  I can hunt Washington at 2,000’ or Colorado at 11,000’ with the same turrets...  try that with a set of cds dials.

Bingo on all accounts.
If you aint hunting, you aint livin'

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2017, 05:00:37 AM »
Ranging with newer rangefinders gives you an angle and elevation adjusted “range” to use for your CDS.  If properly tuned to your turret this works within 1/2 moa .   Also try the free Hornady ballistic app.   For wind just hold off or dial x moa for every 2.5 mph.  X = 1/10 round number of yards ie  .5 for 500, .7 for 700,  1 for 1000.    ( tweak 2.5 mph wind to your rifle)
« Last Edit: December 08, 2017, 06:27:44 AM by Magnum_Willys »

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2017, 09:16:21 AM »

1)range it

2)get the app out

3)figure the ballistics

5)get range again ?

That is probably my biggest concern.

Mostly I’ll be using it up to 500 yards or so, not going past that....yet.

If the scope went on a different rifle I could get new dials made for $60-70, or just go with Mia and not worry about it.

Seems like there is less thinking involved with the cds, which is better for me  :chuckle:
My interpretation of the rules are open to interpretation.
Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

Offline lord grizzly

• Longhunter
« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2017, 09:45:44 AM »

1)range it

2)get the app out

3)figure the ballistics

5)get range again ?

I was going to say range cards are still a thing right? mines on the side of my rifle and if its a hunt that will span multiple elevations/conditions the appropriate adjusted range cards are in the pocket of my pig rifle stock pack. if your 100% reliant on an electronic device out there your asking for it...

Offline fillthefreezer

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
  • @adventure_sd
« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2017, 09:59:04 AM »
CDS turrets can be a good thing, as long as they are well verified and their limits adhered to. theyre only as good as the data theyre made with though. for true long range shooting, MOA and a ballistic app is the way to go(or mils is actually my preference), but in a hunting situation where the range is moderate, many of the variables are not going to play such a large factor, here the faster CDS turret will be plenty serviceable.

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2017, 10:05:32 AM »
I have the CDS on my vx3I 4.5-14. I've shot it to 650 yards and it was spot on. I have yet to shoot an animal where I had to dial it, but I'm confident that when the time comes I'll be able to. I'm not a big long range guy, I just got it as more of a contingency plan for when the day comes that I really need to shoot at 500 yards.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Online The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2017, 10:17:04 AM »
They can work well. But you need to practice with a lot. You can also get Moa and custom on the same dial. Roughly for every 3000’ in elevation is half moa off. I use one when I go to Montana because where I hunt it doesn’t change much in elevation. Another option is the custom turret tape you can get them made for different elevations. I personally would not shoot past 400yds with a custom turret, the main reason is barometric pressure is the biggest factor and all the info you enter gives you a generic number for it.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #26 on: December 09, 2017, 07:36:06 PM »
Son pulled his 338-378 out this afternoon and rang a 10" steel at 1000 yards cold bore with his vx3 CDS with 8mph wind first shot.  He likes it. 

Offline hogslayer

• Longhunter
  • Groups: Bloody decks
« Reply #27 on: December 09, 2017, 10:45:28 PM »
Thanks for the invite

Offline JohnVH

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #28 on: December 10, 2017, 10:17:16 PM »
VX3L with CDS. Works great. Recommended!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw