collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Late season 627  (Read 1170 times)

Offline t2shortb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
  • Groups: PSA Ocean Anglers, Bloody Decks
Late season 627
« on: December 07, 2017, 09:50:38 PM »
Now that I have hooked an audience! .....
I wanted to introduced myself.
Todd here, known to some as shortround. Im a 35 year old active duty Submarine cook stationed at Bangor.  Father of 2 beautiful kiddos and married to my best friend. I'm an avid offshore fisherman and up until about three moths ago my only hunting has been done on the water. Over the past several years I have been interested in getting into archery hunting mostly due to a few close friends. Fast forward and I am now all dialed in and I purchased my first license and tag for late season archery a couple of days ago. I'm gonna be poking around 627 for the rest of the month in hopes of finding something, but if not I will still enjoy the rime in the woods. Anyway, I wanted to say hi and I hope to learn and share what I can with the group! Not starting this thread in hopes of gathering information,  but I am pretty humble and if anyone were to throw some tips and pointers my way I wouldn't turn them down! Thanks for having me here and I look forward to becoming involved with the group!

Sent from my SM-G900P using Tapatalk

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Late season 627
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2017, 12:07:12 AM »
I'd check with the base MWR to see if it is open to active duty archery deer hunting.  That program comes and goes based on the base Commander's desires.  Bangor has a large deer population so it might be a relatively easy tag to fill if you had access. 

The surrounding areas in 627 have lots of deer, but most of the land is private, so you need to knock on doors or contact the owners by mail/phone for access.  Tahuya Forest is all DNR as is much of the area surrounding Gold Mt. south of Bremerton.   There's also DNR and Green Diamond lands open on HWY 3 south of Allyn.  wdfw.wa.gov website, hunting section, GO HUNT has maps showing public land ownership.

Archery hunting techniques this time of year require that you know where the deer are feeding regularly and sitting on the downwind side of fresh sign, or just going out in the woods close to a well used clearcut and moving so slow that you appear to be motionless as you scan the woods for movement.  Slow and quiet, standing more than moving.

Read as many posts as you can using the search funtion on this forum regarding blacktail hunting.  You'll soon have a pretty good idea how to get out and feel like you're being productive.  It's a tough time of year as the rut is winding down and the deer metabolisms are slowing.  They move less and need less food in the winter, so most of their time is spent bedded and hidden.  They are out there though, and there still should be a few bucks moving around for a few more weeks.

Have fun.  Keep expectations low.  Fishing used to be my game too, but once I started hunting, I lost all desire to go fishing.
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]