collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Opinions/advice needed  (Read 1387 times)

Offline Screaminreelz

• Disclaimer
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
Opinions/advice needed
« on: December 07, 2017, 09:10:47 AM »
Looking for some guidance. Keep in mind this for a Westside late archery elk hunt.

I have one weekend left to late archery hunt elk and found some ground I feel good about. Gates have been locked all year long, elk are known in the area. Not 100% sure quite where as of yet, boots on the ground will determine just exactly where. I am going to be riding my bike in and the first mile or so has quite a few clear cuts with deep draws, running water, and some cover with 5-15 year old jack firs. I'm planning on going beyond 2-3 miles or more then getting into some timber or pursing what opportunities present themselves.

My question is; Should I get in before dark and sit and wait or come in at first day light to glass the cut lines in hopes other hunters are pushing animals? Couple things to factor I guess would be what the walk in pressure has or has not been. People walking in these areas usually don't go more than a mile or two unless riding in like myself.

The weather here has been dry and cold with clear nights and foggy mornings. Weather forecast will be the same for the hunt, mid to low 20s in the morning and mid 40s during the day.

Any advice will be helpful thank you.
Some animals WERE harmed in the making of this Hunter. They were also dragged through the dirt, butchered and tasted delicious fried with butter and bacon.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
Re: Opinions/advice needed
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 09:17:02 AM »
I would think you want to go in early with the clear nights and moon out. Animals feeding at night and you might have the chance of seeing them as they transition to their bedding areas.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline HntnFsh

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2017, 05:51:44 AM »
I would not ride past that first mile without at least giving it a glance. Unless there are already other hunters stationed there. I don't believe in passing prime habitat unless I absolutely have too.

Offline grundy53

• Global Moderator
  • Explorer
  • Learn something new everyday.
    • facebook
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2017, 06:58:55 AM »
I would not ride past that first mile without at least giving it a glance. Unless there are already other hunters stationed there. I don't believe in passing prime habitat unless I absolutely have too.
:yeah:  I'm always amazed how many people travel right past timber patches that have elk in them to go look for elk...

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Molôn Labé
Can you skin Grizz?

The opinions expressed in my posts do not represent those of the forum.

Offline Screaminreelz

• Disclaimer
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2017, 08:23:17 AM »
I agree about not passing, honestly have killed more deer in the first mile than any other mile but no so much for elk. Slowing down and taking the time will be key to being successful.

Thank you all for weighing in!
Some animals WERE harmed in the making of this Hunter. They were also dragged through the dirt, butchered and tasted delicious fried with butter and bacon.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]