collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Looking for some trapping 101 help  (Read 4254 times)

Offline Eric M

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Looking for some trapping 101 help
« on: December 10, 2017, 02:52:08 PM »
I took the class at Cabelas yesterday. Very nice people hosting it. There was some computer issue so we couldn't get our licenses right away. Can I just take the card anywhere else and show them and get it or does it have to show that WDFW knows I took the class? Next I am planning on just purchasing one cage trap this year while I figure this out. Looking through the Tomahawk Live Trap catalog I'm getting a bit confused. I was thinking about the 108.1 Original Series. Is there any reason not to buy this one? Would I be better off with the 108.5 for larger raccoons? The 108.1 looks a little heavier duty but 4" shorter. I am just targeting raccoons or whatever wanders in. Eventually I'd like to get into cats and badgers but this year I want to get a couple coons. Thank you, Eric

Offline fatslinger

• Scout
Re: Looking for some trapping 101 help
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 03:26:34 PM »
Thanks for coming to the class yesterday, lots of info to digest in a few hours. WDFW is still having trouble with their computers today and they still cannot 'select' the trapping license option. They are hoping the IT guys can fix it in the morning so try again tomorrow.
For trap sizes, I like the opening to be at least 15" tall. IMO a 15"x15"x36" is a versatile trap. Northern Industries (I think a branch of Tomahawk) makes a good sturdy trap in that size.
It's big enough for the biggest raccoon, plus I've caught bobcat and many beaver in it. Either way, Tomahawk makes a sturdy trap so you can't go wrong no matter what size you pick.

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 04:27:43 PM »
Thanks for coming to the class yesterday, lots of info to digest in a few hours. WDFW is still having trouble with their computers today and they still cannot 'select' the trapping license option. They are hoping the IT guys can fix it in the morning so try again tomorrow.
For trap sizes, I like the opening to be at least 15" tall. IMO a 15"x15"x36" is a versatile trap. Northern Industries (I think a branch of Tomahawk) makes a good sturdy trap in that size.
It's big enough for the biggest raccoon, plus I've caught bobcat and many beaver in it. Either way, Tomahawk makes a sturdy trap so you can't go wrong no matter what size you pick.
Thanks. Appreciate the help.

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2017, 12:31:43 PM »
If someone could give me the basic reasons behind these styles of trap, I would sure appreciate it. I am looking at the 15X15X36 on Northern Industries site and there are 3 types; double doors, release door, and single door. Is there a preference based on the species you're after? Anyway, hoping someone can assist and give me a little guidance. Thanks.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: December 18, 2017, 12:48:10 PM »
With double door traps you can obviously catch animals coming from multiple locations. It also lets the animal see all the way through the trap, instead of looking at cage wire in the back.

a double door trap can be utilized as a single door but not vice versa, so better utilization.

Last time I looked, singles were cheaper.   

Just guesses. Im sure an expert will chime in shortly 

Online JakeLand

• Trade Count: (+27)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2017, 01:07:57 PM »
Me personally I prefer a single door on all but swim through traps.
I'm able to make them not think about it too much

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2017, 01:42:35 PM »
Thanks for the replies. I'm just trying to catch a couple coons this year. I was leaning towards the single door but wanted to be sure. Thanks.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2017, 01:44:58 PM »
Singles would work just fine unless you had some hole you might be trying to trap. IMO

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2017, 01:47:33 PM »
Singles would work just fine unless you had some hole you might be trying to trap. IMO
I think I'll get the single and use it to figure things out.

Offline TeacherMan

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2017, 02:31:30 PM »
I only use single door traps on everything except beaver. Coon will go into anything and if you want to avoid skunks use marshmallows and vanilla for bait, add some peanut butter put it all in a womans nylon and tie it up in the back of the trap. If you are wanting cats eventually you will want to go with a taller trap. My traps are 10-12" wide, 18-24" tall and 38-42" deep. Cats are good with narrow just not short. Deep ones are nice considering I use beaver as my primary bait. Leaves some room behind the pan. 
If you shoot the first one you will never get that true trophy.

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2017, 03:24:28 PM »
I only use single door traps on everything except beaver. Coon will go into anything and if you want to avoid skunks use marshmallows and vanilla for bait, add some peanut butter put it all in a womans nylon and tie it up in the back of the trap. If you are wanting cats eventually you will want to go with a taller trap. My traps are 10-12" wide, 18-24" tall and 38-42" deep. Cats are good with narrow just not short. Deep ones are nice considering I use beaver as my primary bait. Leaves some room behind the pan.
Thanks. For cats are you usually using these same type of single door traps or are you using the guillotine style door traps?

Offline TeacherMan

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+4)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2017, 03:38:30 PM »
Thanks. For cats are you usually using these same type of single door traps or are you using the guillotine style door traps?

Guillotine style. Look up Yancy bobcat traps. I use several of his actually or ones that them. 
If you shoot the first one you will never get that true trophy.

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2017, 03:54:54 PM »

Guillotine style. Look up Yancy bobcat traps. I use several of his actually or ones that them.
Thanks

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, ATA Gold-Card Life Member
« Reply #13 on: December 28, 2017, 10:18:35 PM »
Conibear 110 all the way for little guys

Offline Eric M

• Sourdough
« Reply #14 on: December 28, 2017, 10:49:30 PM »
Conibear 110 all the way for little guys
Thanks. They aren't legal to use in Washington though.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]