collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Tyvek tarps  (Read 2806 times)

Offline Soundbite

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Tracker
Tyvek tarps
« on: December 11, 2017, 04:08:55 PM »
Interested in experience with the tyvek ground cloths with grommets that are available on amazon and such. My thought is that it would be nice to have a way of creating some cover at camp other than a tent does any one know if they would hold up? I am thinking like a small shelter in heavy rain while glassing or just a place to store some grear out of the weather. What does everyone use?

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
Re: Tyvek tarps
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 05:56:05 PM »
I have a Tyvek groundsheet but wouldn't use it as an overhead cover as they are noisy as heck and white.  I made a very light, packable sil nylon tarp for just a few bucks by buying the fabric online and just sewing a double hem over the four edges.  I added a loop of cord at the corners with some lightweight line.  I can string it up at a glassing point to stay out of the rain or sun and also use it at the kill site to either keep the rain/sun off or a clean place to lay quarters and gear.  Works great and packs up to the size of one of the old school 2-d flashlights.

Offline pd

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 06:06:33 PM »
I carry one as a meat ground sheet or emergency shelter. Not noisy at all. Wash in the laundry machine no soap no dryer, crinkle goes away. Don’t buy!  Free from any construction buddies.
« Last Edit: December 11, 2017, 07:52:33 PM by pd »
Si vis pacem, para bellum

Offline GBoyd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 06:25:01 PM »
I would stay away from them for any purpose unless you're really tight on money and it's the only thing you can afford. The noise and stiffness drive me insane.

For tarps, get one made of 1.1 oz silnylon or silpoly. It will be much quieter and nicer to live with.

For groundsheets, meat tarps, emergency shelter, get a SOL emergency blanket. They're cheap and light, and usually last me for a whole season. I use it for my groundcloth in a bottomless shelter or dome tent, and carry another in my kill kit. Great material.

https://www.amazon.com/S-Survive-Outdoors-Longer-Survival/dp/B001MW31XS/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1513045414&sr=8-3&keywords=sol+emergency+blanket

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 06:39:19 PM »
If you check on u tube I am sure you can find a video where they wash the Tyvek many times which quiets it down.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline wendigo

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 07:21:54 PM »
Throw the tyvek in the washer on cold a couple times and it will really cut down the noise.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline j_h_nimrod

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 08:29:49 PM »
Tyvek has its uses fo4 camp and hunting, but it is not perfect. It is tough, light weight, relatively cheap, loud until washed multiple times, comes in big chunks, and is bulky.  It is like most items out there, a lot of pros n cons to weigh out for your personal preference.

I have a chunk for just in case and won’t feel bad if I need to cut it up or pitch it near a fire and risk pinholes.

Offline Soundbite

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #7 on: December 12, 2017, 03:33:44 PM »
Thanks  I think I may try one of the nylon ones. I dI'd not know about the washer trick will keep that in mind and maybe get a buddy to hook me up with some scrap tyvek

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal