collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Educate me on bottom fishing please  (Read 4197 times)

Offline MHWASH

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
Educate me on bottom fishing please
« on: December 11, 2017, 07:25:24 PM »
For Christmas we want to take our boys bottom fishing this up coming year. I've been a couple times myself, but I had no part in the planning.

I'd like to know when to go
Where to go, I have no idea how sea worthy my boys are, for this reason I'd like to go somewhere with calm seas.

Offline Mfowl

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Educate me on bottom fishing please
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2017, 08:48:06 PM »
I suggest Westport between May and July. Bring rain gear and sea sick pills. If you're lucky the ocean will be calm but if not the boat stays out, sick or not, until the fishing is done. Better safe than sorry! Theres a number of good boats and captains out if Westport and bottom fishing charters are reasonably priced compared to salmon or halibut.
Fish hard, hunt harder!

Offline jamesfromseattle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 11, 2017, 09:00:47 PM »
If you have concerns about sea sickness, if possible, try to find a smaller boat to go on. Generally, these will be advertised as a “six pack”, as the captain is only legally allowed to have six guests.

These boats tend to be faster and not roll as much, which will likely make them less susceptible to seasickness. You may also be able to fill the whole boat with your own people, which means the trip will be more at your pace (I.e. you can call it early if you’ve got a couple youngsters puking over the rail the whole time).

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2017, 09:25:41 PM »
Unfortunately there aren't great options in protected water, at least not in WA.  The ocean is where most of the charters are.  You can catch ling cod on charters in Puget Sound and the San Juans (May and June), but that's pretty limited.  If you can find a six pack out of Neah Bay that will stay inside Tatoosh Island (border with the ocean) if the water is rough, that would be a great option.  Just don't know if there are any six packs working out of Neah Bay, and you'd probably need to book the full boat to have that flexibility.  Best timing would be May - September, primarily for weather. 

Offline jamesfromseattle

• Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2017, 09:29:56 PM »
If you can find a six pack out of Neah Bay that will stay inside Tatoosh Island (border with the ocean) if the water is rough, that would be a great option.  Just don't know if there are any six packs working out of Neah Bay, and you'd probably need to book the full boat to have that flexibility.  Best timing would be May - September, primarily for weather.

Just shot you a PM saying essentially the same thing and with a couple names for reputable six pack boats. 

Offline fishngamereaper

• Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 10:03:23 PM »
How old are the kids....neah bay would be best...and not during halibut season.... Westport is hit and miss on the weather since the only way to fish is to cross the bar. Lapush can be really good with fishing right in front in shallow water. But weather can be a factor.

Offline jamesfromseattle

• Longhunter
« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2017, 10:11:15 PM »
How old are the kids....neah bay would be best...and not during halibut season.... Westport is hit and miss on the weather since the only way to fish is to cross the bar. Lapush can be really good with fishing right in front in shallow water. But weather can be a factor.

Agreed that it's best to skip hali season.  Not a very kiddo friendly fishery.  Lingcod/black rockfish are great for kids, though, because you don't fish too deep, the fish aren't too big (compared to halibut), and you get a ton of action.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 10:26:20 PM »
I've done Westport once, we caught a ton of rockfish and the boat hooked a few lings.  Near constant action and not very far out. 

I don't know about the weather or compared to Neah Bay, but I would be looking for a summer rockfish trip.  The bonus is they are a bunch cheaper and easier to book than Hali trips.

If you don't want to go that far, a few Puget Sound guides do ling trips and I think they do quite well judging from what I've seen and heard.

If you aren't stuck on bottom fish, hit Buoy 10 for guaranteed action but that one can be tricky with weather and water conditions if you go on a smaller boat.

Offline MHWASH

• Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 08:38:00 AM »
Very good information, thanks.

Boys will be 12 & 16 by the time we are on the water. I've got  a pretty weak stomach, so hopefully I'm the weak link.

Offline cohoho

• Trade Count: (+9)
  • Frontiersman
  • Sturgeon Time Yet????
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 08:54:27 AM »
I ran charters out of Westport for All Rivers for Halibut/Lingcod season last year.  We ran every day and really one day that was really a coin toss to go or not, but these were in 29ft boats and if you do not know how to cross the bar - don't until you go with someone..  I would highly suggest NOT doing Halibut (Fishing at 400-650ft with 3lb weights and a grind) as your first trip - way too many five gallon bucket fillers on their first trip last year!  Take a Sea bass/Lingcod trip with All Rivers Charters, Offshore Northwest, Tailwalkers, etc...  just to see how the boys do in the water first.  With a Ling/Sea bass trip you'll be relatively close to shore, shallow water and they will catch limits of sea bass and lings..  It is a great trip for first timers and super fun as limits are gained rather easily.    Heck if I officially decide to jump into the charter game after the first of the year - I'll take you out for that same trip.

Offline Wetwoodshunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 09:31:31 AM »
MHWASH,

One of my good friends runs a charter out of Neah Bay. He specializes in bottom fishing and runs trips in 4b all year. If I were you I would book one of his shallow water lingcod or 4b rockfish trips. 4A is the ocean out of Neah Bay and 4B is the straits, fishing in the straits you typically can have better weather and currently the fishing is phenomenal and is open all year although its currently only open for black rockfish. His bottom fish trips on the ocean run from April - whenever lingcod closes but the shallow water trips the runs are short and fishing is hot, if you go when deepwater lingcod is open there is a spot that is close yet awesome and is by far my favorite spot to fish lingcod.

Neah Bay may be a longer drive but has benefits. 1. There is no bar to cross. 2. The straits are protected and fishing is great. 3. Tom's boat is a 6-pac boat so your experience is different. 4. He is used to taking kids, if the weather cooperates we will take a 3 and 5 year old out this weekend. 5. He is an awesome captain, about 80% of his customers are returning customers, that says a lot. 6. He likes taking 3-5 people if your booking as a group of 4 you can have the whole boat to your group.

Either way, that's my plug. I'm sure others on this site have had great experiences with him.

Here are his two websites he runs the boat, his wife runs the inn. I believe there is a discount if you get a room and a trip.
http://excelfishingcharters.com/
http://www.theinnatneahbay.com/

Offline jamesfromseattle

• Longhunter
« Reply #11 on: December 12, 2017, 09:55:37 AM »
MHWASH,

One of my good friends runs a charter out of Neah Bay. He specializes in bottom fishing and runs trips in 4b all year. If I were you I would book one of his shallow water lingcod or 4b rockfish trips. 4A is the ocean out of Neah Bay and 4B is the straits, fishing in the straits you typically can have better weather and currently the fishing is phenomenal and is open all year although its currently only open for black rockfish. His bottom fish trips on the ocean run from April - whenever lingcod closes but the shallow water trips the runs are short and fishing is hot, if you go when deepwater lingcod is open there is a spot that is close yet awesome and is by far my favorite spot to fish lingcod.

Neah Bay may be a longer drive but has benefits. 1. There is no bar to cross. 2. The straits are protected and fishing is great. 3. Tom's boat is a 6-pac boat so your experience is different. 4. He is used to taking kids, if the weather cooperates we will take a 3 and 5 year old out this weekend. 5. He is an awesome captain, about 80% of his customers are returning customers, that says a lot. 6. He likes taking 3-5 people if your booking as a group of 4 you can have the whole boat to your group.

Either way, that's my plug. I'm sure others on this site have had great experiences with him.

Here are his two websites he runs the boat, his wife runs the inn. I believe there is a discount if you get a room and a trip.

Agreed on all fronts. They run a great operation and the winter trips would be perfect for first timers.

Offline WAcoueshunter

• Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: December 12, 2017, 10:35:30 AM »
That's the trip to do, right there.  I'd wait til ling cod is open too, but a six pack out of Neah Bay tailored to your family is what you want to do.   :tup:

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #13 on: December 12, 2017, 10:41:30 AM »
You won't be able to keep rockfish, but the lingcod fishing is pretty good in the San Juans and the seas will not be an issue for your kids.  Highliner Charters out of Anacortes puts his people on fish pretty consistently, from what I have seen at the dock.  Season doesn't open until May 1 though.

Offline Mark Youngblood

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
  • Groups: RMEF
« Reply #14 on: December 13, 2017, 04:26:26 PM »
I run seabass/lingcod combo trips out of Ilwaco starting in May, these are "near shore" trips but it is i the ocean.  I run halibut out of Ilwaco as well starting in May and I do provide electric reels for all my Halibut halibut charters so depth is not an issue.

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #15 on: December 13, 2017, 08:10:05 PM »
Whatever you decide to do just make sure to check reviews and make sure that the captains are good. couple years back I talked my family into going on a charter out of west port.. it was cheap and supposed to be rockfish, lingcod, and salmon.. all we did was rockfish and then some salmon fishing. On top of that the guy kept turning the boat sideways into the rollers. Needless to say we had several of us pitching over the side. I have been 30 miles off shore on smaller boats halibut fishing off of Vancouver Island and NEVER got sick but with that guy I ended up chumming the water. Hell my father who has done a LOT more offshore fishing than myself and was in the Navy during Vietnam ended up puking and he has an iron gut! I myself might hit the suggested guide in Neah Bay up for a lingcod/rockfish trip! Good luck!

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #16 on: December 23, 2017, 10:14:35 PM »
Before the trip see your doc & get a prescription for transderm scop and sea sickness won't be a problem.

Offline Come Get Some

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 25, 2017, 06:25:10 AM »
I also run bottom fishing trips out of Lapush from March until June. We fish ,Halibut, Lingcod, Rockfish. I have a 41' boat, Very comfortable and dry. Lots of good opportunities for good water conditions. I have taken many young kids out as small as 4-5.
  EPIC-fishing.com. I do agree with the smaller six pack option. Alot more fun. Not a cattle boat.

Offline Crunchy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: December 25, 2017, 09:52:22 AM »
MHWASH,

I agree with most of this.  I would just caution anyone going out during hali season at Neah Bay to check the weather.  Some of the roughest seas I have fished in have been at Neah Bay. Ive never tossed my cookies, but Neah Bay had me on that fine line.

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #19 on: December 25, 2017, 10:14:06 AM »
Before the trip see your doc & get a prescription for transderm scop and sea sickness won't be a problem.
Ive tried every seasick remedy, the only thing that has worked for me is zofran, a prescription.  But even in very rough water I still got sick, but it works 90% of the time.
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline lokidog

• Explorer
« Reply #20 on: December 25, 2017, 10:22:53 AM »
Ive tried every seasick remedy, the only thing that has worked for me is zofran, a prescription.  But even in very rough water I still got sick, but it works 90% of the time.

People are often afraid to go out with a full stomach, from my experience, it is better to have food in there.  And, for me, when I have felt like crap, I just take a nap and feel much better when waking up.  I think sleep allows your brain/ears to equalize. I was pretty much seasick for two months once on a 75 foot boat and this is what helped me get through it.  Sleep, eat, slowly feel like crap, nap, eat, slowly feel like crap, nap eat, slowly feel like crap... repeat.

Offline Fungunnin

• Hunter
« Reply #21 on: December 25, 2017, 02:53:30 PM »
MHWASH,

I agree with most of this.  I would just caution anyone going out during hali season at Neah Bay to check the weather.  Some of the roughest seas I have fished in have been at Neah Bay. Ive never tossed my cookies, but Neah Bay had me on that fine line.
You must have had bad weather out of Neah Bay because I think it is one of the friendlier ports for those with motion sickness. Ilwaco tops my 'make you toss your cookies' list.
Small boat nearshore ling and bottom fish July-August and you have a pretty good chance at decent weather.
A couple other awesome small boat charters to check out are Jambo Sport Fishing out of Neah Bay and Todd's Extreme Fishing out of everywhere (he moves around depending on fish).
I have been on the ocean since I was a toddler and still get sick sometimes. Bring lots of snacks. Water, crackers, sandwiches, sports drinks, pretzels .... Anything that is easy on the stomach. If anyone gets sick the worst thing to do is not eat. Keeping eating or at least drink water. Catching fish helps too!
Have fun!

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline MHWASH

• Sourdough
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2018, 06:50:23 AM »
The boys were very excited Christmas morning when we told them what we had planned. Nothing is set in stone yet. I really appreciate all the suggestions/advice. We will definitely not be halibut fishing.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]