collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Blacktail Second Estrus  (Read 3813 times)

Offline TriggerMike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
Blacktail Second Estrus
« on: December 12, 2017, 10:46:23 AM »
Anyone seeing any second estrus activity? It should be starting right around now.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
Re: Blacktail Second Estrus
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2017, 11:51:55 AM »
I haven't seen any activity yet the does appear to be by their selves but that's just in my area.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline brokentrail

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2017, 11:57:53 AM »
I think that already started/happened where I am.  I saw a couple neighborhood bucks in the daylight that I've never seen before with does on December 6th.  Saw two more on December 8th.

Offline DaveMonti

• Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: December 12, 2017, 02:03:07 PM »
Had a buck wander through my property a few days back.  I have him on cam.  I usually see ZERO all year until the 3-4 days of heavy rutting in late November, so one showing up 3 weeks later is rare.  I have to think he was cruising. 

Offline Mallardmasher

• Scout
  • IBEW LU 46
  • Groups: CCA WWA
« Reply #4 on: December 12, 2017, 06:21:06 PM »
The one I got on Sunday had his nose glued to a big does butt, and his neck is still thick and he was STINKY
USN 1985-94, IBEW Local 46 1994-Present
Matt

Offline Turner89

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2017, 10:11:26 PM »
I saw a 2point buck with 1doe on saturday, a nice buck with 3 does on Sunday, 5 does by themselves yesturday, and 4 does alone today. A friend shot a nice 3 point Sunday that his daughter doe bleeted in out of the timber.
 Prior to saturday I couldn't find a deer to save my life. Lol
 Something has changed.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

" if your a 20 year old and not a liberal, you don't have a heart. If your a 40 year old and not a conservative,  you don't have a brain"

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: December 13, 2017, 05:39:50 AM »
Ethan I thought you were muzzle loading hunting for deer?
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 11:02:11 AM »
Presumably there's still a little activity going on through the end of the month.  Something like 98% of the does have been bred by the end of the first week of December.  Depending on the number of doe in an area, there still could be one or two animals still estrus cycling, which will keep at least a few of the bucks up and searching through the end of the month. 

In an area with low deer numbers, the chances are getting slimmer by the minute that bucks are still rutting, though one of the great hunters here told me that he rattled in a big buck for a friend on New Years Eve years ago.  Never say die!
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline Whitenuckles

• Transplanted Cajun
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 05:36:04 PM »
Happened over here around the 2nd.
GEAUX TIGERS

Offline kodiak 907

• Sourdough
  • Groups: U.S. Navy/Combat Recon, NRA, DU
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 09:32:32 PM »
Saw 3 mature bucks today hanging out in the neighbors yard. Seems like all the does around town have been bred.
Spider 2 Y banana

Offline TriggerMike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 11:24:52 PM »
Presumably there's still a little activity going on through the end of the month.  Something like 98% of the does have been bred by the end of the first week of December.  Depending on the number of doe in an area, there still could be one or two animals still estrus cycling, which will keep at least a few of the bucks up and searching through the end of the month. 

In an area with low deer numbers, the chances are getting slimmer by the minute that bucks are still rutting, though one of the great hunters here told me that he rattled in a big buck for a friend on New Years Eve years ago.  Never say die!
Just out of genuine curiosity, where does that 98% number come from? Is there research backing that number?

Offline fishnfur

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2017, 05:26:32 PM »
Glad you asked.  This is a book/study published by the SOW back in the 50s.  I got this copy for a buck on Amazon "new and used".  Chock full of good biological info. on BTs.  I was a little lucky to correctly quote the percentages in my earlier guess.

BTW, an interesting side to this information - these are dates that the does conceived.  Other studies indicate that BT does don't normally don't conceive on the first estrus period, which means that if you count 21 days (+/-) forward (into Oct), the first estrus of many does occurs anywhere from mid-Oct through the end of that month, some a bit earlier, which accounts for the early showing of bucks we often see around 13 Oct - 20 Oct. 

« Last Edit: December 17, 2017, 06:04:05 PM by fishnfur »
“When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.”  - Will Rogers

Offline np205

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2017, 03:28:20 PM »
I saw 2 bucks fighting on Saturday in a meadow. Heads down and going at it. Pretty cool.

Offline TriggerMike

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2017, 11:22:17 PM »
Glad you asked.  This is a book/study published by the SOW back in the 50s.  I got this copy for a buck on Amazon "new and used".  Chock full of good biological info. on BTs.  I was a little lucky to correctly quote the percentages in my earlier guess.

BTW, an interesting side to this information - these are dates that the does conceived.  Other studies indicate that BT does don't normally don't conceive on the first estrus period, which means that if you count 21 days (+/-) forward (into Oct), the first estrus of many does occurs anywhere from mid-Oct through the end of that month, some a bit earlier, which accounts for the early showing of bucks we often see around 13 Oct - 20 Oct.
Wow that looks pretty interesting! I need to find a copy of that study somewhere.

Offline pope

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2017, 07:38:41 AM »

Wow that looks pretty interesting! I need to find a copy of that study somewhere.

Definitely will have to find a copy of that. Nice find, Fishnfur!  :tup:

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal