collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Backcountry with kiddos  (Read 7710 times)

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Backcountry with kiddos
« Reply #15 on: December 14, 2017, 10:28:56 PM »
Thanks for all your input! I'm definitely not planning on this trip being anything other than a get him out in the woods trip. I think I'm settled (for now) on an area I am very familiar with and a one mile flat hike down an old decomisioned logging road that ends in a meadow with a little creek and a shale cliff I can almost always find goats on.

Definitely going to up my food for the trip but it's just a one nighter so weight should be fine. He has a little backpack and I think I'll let him load a handful of his own stuff so he can feel like he is doing some packing too.

I'm getting really amped up for this trip now.

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #16 on: December 15, 2017, 05:21:55 AM »
Be careful goats have been know to horn people.
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2017, 08:07:02 AM »
There's a lot of good advice on here already...all I will add is be careful with your wishes. I took my oldest son everywhere with me when he was little, fishing, hiking, hunting, etc. and he loved it, until I pushed him too far, too much. My youngest son I pretty much ignored for the first few years where he was old enough to go, sure I took him "once in a while" with his brother (they are 2 years apart) but I made him wait an extra year for hunters ed, an overnight camping trip, and such...my oldest is now 14, only bird hunted one day (he had both multi-season tags and a doe permit...wasted) but my youngest who is 12 has pushed me to my limits in the backcountry this past summer, killed his 4ht deer (first one with a muzzleloader), a turkey (I've never killed one), and a bunch of birds, plus fished buoy 10 and floated the Satsop in the pouring down rain in Nov...and all he talks and thinks about is hunting/fishing/hiking/survival...because I had patience for him it made him desire it even more!

Grade
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2017, 08:13:34 AM »
Well at 14 you know there is 2 legged things out there that are fun to chase. :chuckle:
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline grade-creek-rd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2017, 12:47:24 PM »
I hear ya Sky!!!...he says he's not into girls yet...but looking at his text on his phone, hmm...I see why he grabs it every time the text chime dings! He still likes to shoot guns so I hope someday he'll return to deer camp, until then, I'm reminded every day how much closer he is to getting his drivers permit...

Grade

PS. I need to pick your brain on AK...looking for an early season bou hunt where I can drive up and back with the youngest kid in late August...or just a fishing trip maybe. I know there's one up along the slope (archery only within 1 mile of the road/pipeline).
There's more to life than hunting...there's fishing too!

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Explorer
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2017, 12:52:06 PM »
Yea 5 miles within the Haul rd corridor in most places. It's all about the experience up there!!

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2017, 01:15:01 PM »
When I took my toddler son fishing, he and I would stop at the convenience store, and he could pick out what he wanted to eat and drink.  That was the only time he got to pick things out at a shop at that age, it made a big impression and positive association.  I learned that one from my uncle, when he would take me fishing and I got to eat junk food I was never allowed by my health food Nazi mom.  I can still taste those Yoohoo and Bama mini pecan pies!

Interludes are not big on the toddler fun meter.  The best fishing is for overstocked ponds full of stunted fish that never let a bobber sit still; if they have to wait between bites they need something else fun to do.  Mine loved throwing rocks in water - resist your instincts, you are fishing and having fun.  Like many little ones in potty training, he was fascinated by poop.  Pointing out goose poop and other scat was a neverending source of amusement.

They are knowledge sponges, and it is all new to them.  Don't be afraid to point out flowers, bugs, berries, trees, birds, rocks, etc.  A campfire is an endless source of fascination, day or night.  Your backcountry hike doesn't have to be any further than out of sight of the vehicle.  Keep it fast and fun, and if they get tired or grumpy, stop for a nap.  As long as you keep them warm, dry, fed, hydrated, rested and otherwise comfortable, you're golden.  Not the time for introducing character building.

When I was two, my parents and I camped for most of a year, March through October.  It wasn't until I was in my twenties I realized we'd been homeless!  My dad would leave each day to do odd jobs and look for work, and my mom kept me occupied - in the tent with books from the library and art supplies when it was wet or cold, otherwise outside at our many camping spots by a creek or in the woods.  I have nothing but positive memories from that year of camping, and I give my parents credit for keeping a reasonably desperate situation fun and positive.   My mom was a city girl, and I think she learned most everything she now knows about nature from the constant stream of library books she checked out to keep me engaged and learning.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, ATA Gold-Card Life Member
« Reply #22 on: December 20, 2017, 12:00:07 AM »
Deuter Kid Comfort

Offline E35alex

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Hunter
« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2018, 05:49:10 AM »
Great advice from everyone. Here's my  :twocents:

First time taking my son out, we went on a 5 mile one way hike (10 mile round trip). Elevation 800ft. He was 5. Ran out of energy on .5 mile, after a snack, had enough energy for another .5 mile. Lets just say that most of the snacks were gone by the time we made it to our destination. Long story short, he gets bored if we go on a "flat" or "short" hike.  :dunno:
Planning on doing a 3 say backpack scouting trip in the spring. should be fun.

He wants to do the Pure Elevation course with my this year, he is 9 now. Still can't get him to sit quietly for more then 1 min.  :chuckle:

I guess its all up to how your child acts. no one knows but you. Some like the challenge, others don't.

The closer I get to nature, the farther I am from idiots.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2018, 10:01:00 AM »
I am looking forward to spring and some dryer weather to get out again this year.

Offline AJ Howard

• Pilgrim
    • Albert Jess Howard Jr
« Reply #25 on: January 18, 2018, 03:59:08 PM »
It has been awesome seeing all of the different pieces of advice to offer! I have an 18 month old right now. We did two overnight backpack trips but one thing we are struggling with is their sleeping situation. My wife nor I have a big wnough bag to accommodate one of us and the baby (toddler now). So I am wondering what others have done. Because if it is backpacking, weight doesn't sound enjoyable. But is it just one of those things to do? But is it safe for them to have their own sleeping bag? Just curious what everyone else has done..

Offline Moe the Sleaze

• Hunter
« Reply #26 on: January 18, 2018, 04:17:15 PM »
I had a pair of fleece pants.  Those smaller kids fit right in one of the legs.  Tie a knot where you need it.

Offline Moe the Sleaze

• Hunter
« Reply #27 on: January 18, 2018, 04:27:42 PM »
Second Beach out at La Push is a great place to camp with kids.  The "backpack" down to the beach can be a challenge because there are some stairs, but it's less than a mile.  Build sand castles, fly a kite, watch for Bald Eagles, explore the tidepools, have a nice beach fire.  My kids loved it every time we went.  Supplies are not that far away if you run out of something.

Offline thom9719

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Tracker
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2018, 01:45:00 PM »
It has been awesome seeing all of the different pieces of advice to offer! I have an 18 month old right now. We did two overnight backpack trips but one thing we are struggling with is their sleeping situation. My wife nor I have a big wnough bag to accommodate one of us and the baby (toddler now). So I am wondering what others have done. Because if it is backpacking, weight doesn't sound enjoyable. But is it just one of those things to do? But is it safe for them to have their own sleeping bag? Just curious what everyone else has done..

My wife found a pair of heavy duty sleeping footy pajamas that don't require a sleeping bag. My son was 18 mo at the time and slept between us (with each of us in our own sleeping bag). He was plenty warm at night and so tired from the day's adventures that he passed out immediately!

We now have 2 kids 1 and almost 3, and are looking to try backpacking with both of them. Fingers crossed we can make it work. They both seem to love the outdoors!

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2018, 01:58:12 PM »
Something to suck on so their mouths won't dry out while hiking. I learned that from hiking into the Goat Rocks years ago.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]