collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Driving to AK  (Read 1979 times)

Offline Jim/WA

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
Driving to AK
« on: December 14, 2017, 11:49:10 AM »
Anyone ever drive up to Prince Rupert and take the ferry to Ketchikan (then to Hollis)? I'm working out the details of a July/August trip to Prince of Wales and have been kicking around the idea of taking my truck/slide-in camper instead of flying + renting a car. The cost isn't much more than the cost of airfare (not counting fuel). Is it worth the effort?

Offline jamesfromseattle

• Longhunter
Re: Driving to AK
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 11:57:39 AM »
I haven't done it, but it sounds like a great trip.  I also did the math and came up with similar numbers.  We are planning on doing a deer hunting trip in 2019 or 2020, but are leaning towards flying due to time constraints.  Sure would be nice to take a truck full of gear, though.  Maybe throw a couple kayaks or an inflatable boat on the roof, too.

Are you going to hunt or fish?

Offline Skillet

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+42)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 12:09:16 PM »
I've done the Bham to Sitka with a vehicle before, and think your plan is a good one.  Be aware you do not get to sleep in your camper on the car deck, but they do allow a few short access periods per day.

Pro-tip: If you have any space, advertise a few weeks in advance on CL in WA and CLand SitNews in AK that you'll be heading their way and can haul something for a small fee.  Freight to Craig and other communities on POW is a killer.  Great way to defray costs and make friends on POW,  :twocents:
KABOOM Count - 1

"The ocean is calling, and I must go."

Offline Jim/WA

• Tracker
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 01:10:51 PM »
-It's intended to be a group fishing trip but I get more time off so I may stay awhile and do an exploratory, solo deer hunt after the August opener. I've got more tolerance for steep, wet, devil's club infested hillsides than my east coast buddies so solo suits me just fine.

-Thanks for the heads up on the freight idea. I probably will have extra room on the way up.

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 01:11:26 PM »
Didn’t take that route, but drove up to moose hunt in AK.  It was a fantastic trip.  Plus I could bring all my gear up and meat home.

Offline Fl0und3rz

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Legend
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 01:26:02 PM »
Good luck on your trip.  In-laws do that trip frequently.  It's beautiful country.

Offline W_Ellison2011

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 04:14:48 PM »
It was 5 years ago but the wife and I did the trip. Lived in Ketchikan for the summer. The drive is super nice. We saw bears, moose, elk, deer, big horn sheep, and a wolverine along our drive up. We went up in May. Just make sure you make your reservations for the ferry in advance and know your total length including trailer, width, and height I believe. My 65 year old parents just did the drive from Onalaska, Wa. up to Prince Rupert this past summer when we all went up for a family fishing trip. The wife and I flew this time but they drove and had TONS of fun. My father was calling me at least 2-3 times a day telling me about bears and moose walking across the road in front of them. Make sure you give yourself plenty of time. They had to go around a couple fires this last summer and it took them a little longer to get up there than expected but they had preplanned a couple extra travel days thankfully. Good luck and ENJOY it! Its a fun drive and the fishing is waaayyyy better than here in Washington. Silvers were averaging 10-14 lbs for us and the pinks run every year up there.

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 04:34:17 PM »
I've done the Bham to Sitka with a vehicle before, and think your plan is a good one.  Be aware you do not get to sleep in your camper on the car deck, but they do allow a few short access periods per day.

Pro-tip: If you have any space, advertise a few weeks in advance on CL in WA and CLand SitNews in AK that you'll be heading their way and can haul something for a small fee.  Freight to Craig and other communities on POW is a killer.  Great way to defray costs and make friends on POW,  :twocents:

POW? :dunno:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline jamesfromseattle

• Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 04:48:01 PM »

POW? :dunno:

Prince of Wales Island.

Offline actionshooter

• Past Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.instagram.com/steve.bell.actionshooter/
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2018, 10:39:02 PM »
I kicked around hauling up a 18' sled but the cost on that was pretty steep. I did do a Caribou/Moose float 3 years ago and drove to Fairbanks from Olympia. Towed a small trailer w/ a freezer and generator for the meat. Works awesome if you have the time.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal