collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: GLUTEN FREE COOKING  (Read 4125 times)

Online Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
GLUTEN FREE COOKING
« on: December 14, 2017, 05:18:53 PM »
It’s tough having a family member who is gluten intolerant.

Looking for some proven yummy recipes, or if you know of good gluten free products/substitutes.
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline NorseNW

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
Re: GLUTEN FREE COOKING
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2017, 08:17:23 PM »
It sucked pretty badly at the beginning but it's been 10 years now for us and really don't even notice it much.  Lots of recipes on the inter-webs.  Not sure of stores around you but Safeway, Freddies, New Seasons usually have a well stocked section with basics. 

Baking takes a little experimenting but we've found Pamela's brand baking flour to be the best for one for one replacement in most recipes.  Bread you can purchase has been the biggest battle.  Most recently Franz makes two gluten free versions.  Our local Costco carries a two pack which is super convenient.  Udi's is the other brand that makes breads, wraps, muffins, cookies, etc.

Other than the freaking expense of purchasing gluten free stuff it will work out once you find your go to items.

Online Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Explorer
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2017, 08:22:33 PM »
Thanks, we’ve been dealing with it for awhile, plus we have 5Bees Bakery in town which is a dedicated gluten free bakery.

Really looking for dinner type recipes.

"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Offline Chase2008

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2017, 08:32:08 PM »
If wanting to make pizza try the fat head pizza crust. I am not GF but prefer the fat head crust over a. Or so crust.

Online Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2017, 08:35:33 PM »
If wanting to make pizza try the fat head pizza crust. I am not GF but prefer the fat head crust over a. Or so crust.

What store carries that?

Papa Murphy’s has a good gluten free pizza.

Offline lokidog

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2017, 08:50:45 PM »
Thanks, we’ve been dealing with it for awhile, plus we have 5Bees Bakery in town which is a dedicated gluten free bakery.

Baked potato, bacon wrapped backstrap, and fried broccoli... there you go!   :chuckle:

For pizza crust look up a recipe using cauliflower, it's actually pretty good.

Offline NorseNW

• Scout
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2017, 08:53:56 PM »

5 B's!?!  Shoot that was one of the selling points for trying to convince my wife to drive up there for the sockeye fishing in Baker Lake.  Still haven't made the trip.  Maybe this year with some GF goodies to boot

Offline NorseNW

• Scout
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2017, 08:55:10 PM »
Dinner we keep pretty much like lokidog mentioned (minus backstrap because we are having tagstrap this year!).  Just basic meat, vegetable type stuff.  Chili, soups,etc

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2017, 09:21:22 PM »
Costco has gluten free flour and a chocolate chip cookie recipe is on the back.....they are really good cookies. :tup:
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Online Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Explorer
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2017, 09:31:03 PM »
Costco has gluten free flour and a chocolate chip cookie recipe is on the back.....they are really good cookies. :tup:

I didn’t know that they had flour.

Thanks

Offline Chase2008

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2017, 09:57:11 PM »

What store carries that?

Papa Murphy’s has a good gluten free pizza.

Not carried in store. You make it. Here is a link

https://ketodietapp.com/Blog/post/2016/04/06/fat-head-pizza-with-pepperoni-and-jalapenos

Use the recipe for the crust and add whatever you want for sauce and toppings.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #11 on: December 15, 2017, 06:47:06 AM »
Costco actually has a fair bit of stuff. UDIS frozen baggers, Bob's Red mill flour thier 3lb bags of corn chips, several different kinds of crackers, and I think even pasta from time to time.

The Trumpeter in down town MV is where I go when I get a hankering for something fancy... but I often get fish and chips. My mother is a celiac and won't eat most places but goes there most of the time.

One of the things that helped me was the fact that I choose to try and eat less processed food. Makes it much easier to keep from eating gluten.

Mod pizza, pappa Murphies, and I think even dominoes in MV has GF pizza crust.

Keep in mind that the effects of gluten on folks like me are cumulative. Eating just a little  on a regular basis just irritates the villi and makes you more sensetive. 

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #12 on: December 15, 2017, 09:36:05 AM »
My wife is gluten intolerant so I know this well.  Dinner staples include stir fry over rice, enchiladas made with corn tortillas, burritos made with rice flour tortillas, gluten free pizza, rice pasta.  Udi's makes a good pizza crust, it is the one Papa Murphy uses for their pizza.

The Costco gluten free flour mix is a good one and the least expensive option.  For finished bread her favorite is Olivia's multigrain.

The best pasta hands down is Tinkyada, just use a large volume of water to boil and rinse thoroughly after cooking before serving. 

Can't remember the rice tortillas brand, but Fred Meyer carries them in the freezer section in the natural foods.

Krusteaz makes an awesome GF brownie mix, we've found it a couple times at Costco but usually order it from Amazon.  Pillsbury makes great GF cake mixes, we order them from Walmart.

For dining out, Asian and Mexican are your best bets for lots of GF options.  Our favorite Thai restaurant's menu is all gluten free except for one dish (Pad Mee, wheat noodles).  Lots of pizza places offer a gluten free option.  Some Subway shops have gluten free bread.  Red Robin has gluten free buns.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

Offline vandeman17

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Explorer
« Reply #13 on: December 15, 2017, 09:52:17 AM »
just curious for those looking for gluten free. Have you guys/gals actually been tested and have celiac disease or gluten intolerance? The reason I ask is I hear a lot of people looking for gluten free products thinking that it is simply better for them which is false. Not saying any on this thread are like that but just curious.
" I have hunted almost every day of my life, the rest have been wasted"

Offline DOUBLELUNG

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: December 15, 2017, 10:07:33 AM »
just curious for those looking for gluten free. Have you guys/gals actually been tested and have celiac disease or gluten intolerance? The reason I ask is I hear a lot of people looking for gluten free products thinking that it is simply better for them which is false. Not saying any on this thread are like that but just curious.
My wife's intolerance was diagnosed by observed villi damage via endoscopy.  A biopsy to confirm celiac was not conducted as she has bleeding disorders.
As long as we have the habitat, we can argue forever about who gets to kill what and when.  No habitat = no game.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Walked a cougar down by 2MANY
[Today at 08:56:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]