collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: The mighty 28 gauge  (Read 9985 times)

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
Re: The mighty 28 gauge
« Reply #15 on: December 17, 2017, 02:16:39 PM »
My absolute favorite load was a Federal 3/4 oz. load of 6's  and if I recall Winchester did have a one oz load of 6's as well.  Shot both.  Still have several boxes of the same Federal shells, but in 7 1/2's for quail and doves.  One box I purchased at the B&I in Tacoma years ago.
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

Offline fethrduster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
    • Mark Larson Gun Art
« Reply #16 on: December 18, 2017, 11:06:07 AM »
I've never owned one, but they look like they would be perfect for quail.  My Husqvarna 16 hammer gun only weighs 6lbs even, so I don't really see any advantage to it.  Would still be fun though. 

Offline 101521

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #17 on: December 18, 2017, 11:39:29 PM »
Couldn't agree more with the 28 being an effective gun. A lot of people don't understand the shot cone on a 28 is better than a 20 but think they are getting more bang for their buck. I'd have to look at the load I shoot out of mine, but it's phez killng machine. I have a Browning Superposed that my father bought new for $175 back in '67 I believe it was. I really only use that gun when I know the country I'll be in and it's flat.  Talk about a sweet shooting gun. I think I shoot the 1oz 6's made by Winchester. 

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2017, 06:55:05 AM »
I am waiting for a SxS or a O/U to show up that I like, but am not actively searching.  There really is no advantage to the 28 when compared to a 20.  Nothing wrong with it at all, but I don't want anything lighter than a 20 when shooting upland.  Felt recoil is about the same.  With those two factors being most important to me, give me the extra shot in a 20 all day.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline tlbradford

• Frontiersman
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2017, 06:56:55 AM »
Had a buddy who's dad hunted pheasant with a 410 and claimed to shoot them in the head only. :dunno:

We all strive for a head and neck shot, but most shots over a pointer are moving away and make it difficult.
Dreams are forever on the mind, realization in the hands.

Offline fethrduster

• Scout
    • Mark Larson Gun Art
« Reply #20 on: December 19, 2017, 09:21:58 AM »
Had a buddy who's dad hunted pheasant with a 410 and claimed to shoot them in the head only. :dunno:

We all strive for a head and neck shot, but most shots over a pointer are moving away and make it difficult.

Truth.

Offline jetjockey

• Longhunter
« Reply #21 on: December 19, 2017, 04:37:28 PM »
I am waiting for a SxS or a O/U to show up that I like, but am not actively searching.  There really is no advantage to the 28 when compared to a 20.  Nothing wrong with it at all, but I don't want anything lighter than a 20 when shooting upland.  Felt recoil is about the same.  With those two factors being most important to me, give me the extra shot in a 20 all day.

Sure there is, speed!  Speed to the shoulder is much faster with a properly framed 28. With all but 1 exception, I’ve never felt “felt” recoils when squeezing the trigger on a bird.  Since RST makes 1oz 28GA loads at 1300fps (hotter than most 20GA loads), I’m a firm believer in the 28.  This coming from a hard core 20ga fan.
« Last Edit: December 19, 2017, 05:02:07 PM by jetjockey »

Offline Fishnfowler

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #22 on: December 19, 2017, 07:46:51 PM »
I grew up shooting a 28, my Dad made me shoot it for years, thinking it would give me some skills.  Perhaps that's why I've never felt attracted to them.  I've owned and shot all the gauges for all the birds.  I even used to shoot decoyed geese with a 410, those we shot in the head.  My go-to gun for quick shooting is a 5-1/4# 20 gauge shooting 7/8oz loads.  I pretty much only take this gun out after quail.  Everything else gets the 12 gauge.  For upland I shoot a light Uggie, and a heavy gun for waterfowl and dove.  I am a fan of patterning my guns and I'm betting the 1oz 28 gauge load at 1300 doesn't pattern as well as 7/8oz at 1200.  I'd speculate that the 3/4oz load going 1150 gives a more even pattern than the other two I mentioned.  Regardless, I recommend those shooting sub-gauge guns to load their own with high antimony, (magnum), shot to avoid deformity and holes in the pattern at the edge of range.   As to speed when shouldering the gun, a balanced gun that fits will come up fast enough for any of us.  FWIW, I generally shoot 1oz loads in my 12 gauges except for geese and chukar.  Both of them get 1-1/4 and 1-1/8 respectively.  Even the ducks get an ounce of tungsten.  I give the chukars extra because I hate them.  Lastly, I've got no hate for Jason and his 28 gauge fetish, the dude is my friend.  The rest of you 28 gauge lovers are a bubble off plumb. 

Offline Backstrap

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #23 on: December 19, 2017, 08:33:15 PM »
I have 16, 28 and 410 Wingmasters which have never been fired. I guess I was on a Rem 870 kick for a while... But yeah, it was a 28 that knocked the *censored* out of Dick Cheney, so they must pack a good punch.

Everything I do is steel shot only, and I love my super Vinci for that. If they made the Vinci in 20 ga I'd own one.
Step once, look twice...

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #24 on: December 19, 2017, 10:12:54 PM »
Love the 28 gauge, I use a tube set for sporting clays and a Browning 424 30" for clays, skeet, doves and a few ducks. Loaded some #6 Bismuth for decoying ducks and whacked them.
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline merkelman

• Scout
« Reply #25 on: December 20, 2017, 08:04:37 PM »
I grew up shooting a 28, my Dad made me shoot it for years, thinking it would give me some skills.  Perhaps that's why I've never felt attracted to them.  I've owned and shot all the gauges for all the birds.  I even used to shoot decoyed geese with a 410, those we shot in the head.  My go-to gun for quick shooting is a 5-1/4# 20 gauge shooting 7/8oz loads.  I pretty much only take this gun out after quail.  Everything else gets the 12 gauge.  For upland I shoot a light Uggie, and a heavy gun for waterfowl and dove.  I am a fan of patterning my guns and I'm betting the 1oz 28 gauge load at 1300 doesn't pattern as well as 7/8oz at 1200.  I'd speculate that the 3/4oz load going 1150 gives a more even pattern than the other two I mentioned.  Regardless, I recommend those shooting sub-gauge guns to load their own with high antimony, (magnum), shot to avoid deformity and holes in the pattern at the edge of range.   As to speed when shouldering the gun, a balanced gun that fits will come up fast enough for any of us.  FWIW, I generally shoot 1oz loads in my 12 gauges except for geese and chukar.  Both of them get 1-1/4 and 1-1/8 respectively.  Even the ducks get an ounce of tungsten.  I give the chukars extra because I hate them.  Lastly, I've got no hate for Jason and his 28 gauge fetish, the dude is my friend.  The rest of you 28 gauge lovers are a bubble off plumb.
Yep, A bubble off plumb!! 

Offline nutntoit

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Hunter
« Reply #26 on: December 21, 2017, 09:59:23 AM »
I have never had any experience with 28ga, but I did get the opportunity to shoot a round of sporting clays with a Dickinson Estate 16ga. Wow is all I can say. I have been lusting after one in 16 or 20ga every since. Beautiful guns for sure.

Offline merkelman

• Scout
« Reply #27 on: December 21, 2017, 06:07:46 PM »
28ga is a whole new ball game!

Offline joe_dumy

• Hunter
« Reply #28 on: December 22, 2017, 06:45:34 AM »
The 28ga is on my bucket list for sure. But with the gun I will have to get a loader, wads hulls ect. Wife would kill me at the moment. Guess I got to wear down some of these 16ga and have a couple lined up for the gun Smith before I ask. I too have found magnum loads pattern poorly. But magmatitas still gets me once and a while and I try stuffing a 1/4oz more then the gun was designed for every once and a while. I have found addimg 1/2 a shot size to be more effective for more shot in the air. Like try shot size 6 1/2 For Chukar

Offline John B

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Hunter
  • Groups: Master Hunter, NRA, DU
« Reply #29 on: December 22, 2017, 08:34:59 PM »
I love my 28. I originally bought it for quail, but wasn't long before it was my go to gun for every species. I've taken pheasant and chukar, even shot a gadwall with it last year. Last trip out I got the upland grand slam with it.

Benelli now makes a 28 gauge ethos chambered for 3" shells

* Advertisement

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal