collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: old 700, what to do...  (Read 2305 times)

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
old 700, what to do...
« on: December 24, 2017, 07:23:50 AM »
the whole "what have you been tinkering with" thread got my inner gun nut fired up the last day or so.  i've got an old(1965, 150,000ish serial) M700 BDL chambered in .264 mag that i've been tinkering with for a few years now.  i've basically given up on trying to develop a load for it, since even max charges are giving me .260 rem velocities(think 2850 with 140 grain bullets).  it's got the 24" barrel which no doubt contributes to it's lack of velocity, and while the accuracy of the thing is plenty adequate for hunting, it's not really a long range tack driver(especially not in my shaky hands).

i'm trying to weigh the options here, as i don't like having stuff in my gun safe that i don't shoot.  i do have a problem with sentimentality sometimes though(the whole reason i picked up a shot out old .264 mag is that my dad's only hunting rifle is this exact same one, albeit a year older than mine).  i don't think this rifle has much monetary value, since other than the weird caliber and overall age, it's got its issues like the receiver bluing appears to have been "eaten" away by something(not rust, a gun shop told me it was likely blood), and it's got a pit in the bolt face from a blown primer at some point.  however, it does have a somewhat highly figured stock for a 700, and i do like the ergonomics.

i'm trying to decide what to do with this thing:
1) sell it to someone to shoot as-is, or to use the action for a project.  pros - i'd be freeing up space in the safe, cons, i wouldn't have the rifle any more, and likely won't come out too far ahead on it(i think i'd value it at $300).

2). get the action blueprinted and rebarrel in .257 wby or .264 mag(with proper length/twist)  pros - i'd have a custom rifle that'll likely shoot as well as anything, cons - stuck with a magnum bolt face, limits options for chamberings. probably the most expensive option to do right(probably $1000 for everything i'd want done).

3.) buy a factory take-off barrel and get it screwed on by a gunsmith. pros: super cheap(can find a 7mm or .300 mag barrel for under $100 on ebay), cons: don't know if it's worth the effort, not sure if i really want a 7mm or .300 that bad.

4.) re-bore to a different caliber.  pros - cheap($250-ish), could easily turn it into a .338 win or .358 norma, and taking some meat out of the barrel would lighten it up considerably.  cons: i don't have any practical use for a .358 norma, even though it would be cool as hell.

if i sold this thing, i'd be probably replace it with something between .25 and .28 caliber, as my two primary hunting rifles are a savage 99 in .250 savage, and a ruger all weather 30-06.  the .264 was intended for if i ever get back to hunting modern on the east side, i wanted a flat shooter in case i need to stretch things out to say 400 yards. i know the 30-06 will do that in a pinch but what's the fun in that?  i seem to find myself lusting after high speed smallbores and big thumpers(i love shooting my .45-70) lately.

anyone have any great ideas that i've missed?
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
Re: old 700, what to do...
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2017, 07:40:50 AM »
Very often, there are really great rifles posted for sale on this site, so if I was in your shoes I'd be tempted to just sell the 264 for whatever you can get, and then with an open spot in my safe I'd keep my eyes open for something really cool to come up for sale on here.

Of course it would also be a fun project to keep it and possibly send it to Pac Nor for installation of a new 26 inch 264 Win Mag barrel.

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2017, 07:57:00 AM »
that's kind of what i've been leaning on.  trying to keep cash from burning a hole in my pocket so i can jump on a good deal on something interesting when it comes up.

the stone cold reality of things is that i don't get out to hunt or shoot nearly often enough to justify the battery in my gun safe. but i suppose that is the way most of us are here...but it's fun, isn't it? :chuckle:
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2017, 08:20:26 AM »
I have been bit bad by the custom gun bug and very much love accurate rifles. That said I also have a soft place in my heart for a wood stocked bolt gun with nice lines.  The old bdl's are my favorite.  If it was me, I would be sending it to my Smith  (Hells Canyon Armory) for a blue print, new 26" benchmark, trigger, and a bed job.  It would shoot less than half minute yet still have that classic look and feel to it.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2017, 10:46:17 AM »
I have been bit bad by the custom gun bug and very much love accurate rifles. That said I also have a soft place in my heart for a wood stocked bolt gun with nice lines.  The old bdl's are my favorite.  If it was me, I would be sending it to my Smith  (Hells Canyon Armory) for a blue print, new 26" benchmark, trigger, and a bed job.  It would shoot less than half minute yet still have that classic look and feel to it.

:yeah:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline slm9s

• Hunter
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2017, 09:39:07 PM »
Have you borescoped it?  Tried plenty of bullet/powder combos?

I think a new take-off in 264wm, 7rm, 7STW, 7RUM, 300wm, 300H&H, 300RUM would be a cheap trip to plenty of accuracy for a big game rifle.

Good luck.

Offline 257 Wby Mag

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2017, 10:50:06 PM »
I’ll give ya $350 for it...
Tod Riechert fan club.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2017, 11:01:29 PM »
My pops has an early 1960's R700 he got new,  its a M40 replica but it's not correct anymore.   I should get him a 3x9 redfield and make it correct for the era. 

Might be an interesting option seeing the vintage of your R700

Offline Crunchy

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2017, 11:29:59 PM »
Hells Canyon Armory have website?  Didn't pop up when I googled it.  Now that hunting season is over I might send my girl to them to have a little work done.

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2017, 11:30:54 PM »
I’ll give ya $350 for it...

Great donor action.

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #10 on: December 24, 2017, 11:32:26 PM »
Hells Canyon Armory have website?  Didn't pop up when I googled it.  Now that hunting season is over I might send my girl to them to have a little work done.

He was in Wenatchee, I believe he's in Idaho now (Lewiston).

Offline Crunchy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2017, 12:47:03 AM »

So no on having a website?

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #12 on: December 25, 2017, 01:33:35 AM »
Being that it's a long action Rem 700 you can make it just about anything you want and the possibilities, even with its mag bolt face, are nearly endless.

If it were mine, I'd have it rebarreled with a good custom barrel and likely have it chambered in something 7mm or .30 cal.

Offline Karl Blanchard

• Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #13 on: December 25, 2017, 08:10:17 AM »

So no on having a website?
  correct.  He went to Lewiston and moved into Seekins old place.   It's where he built his first rifle years ago.  Fitting he is back now.  As of now no website but that's gonna be a project whitpirate will be working on this spring I believe.  He's on Facebook,  Instagram, and here from time time to time. 

Here's Mike's number.  He's always up for a text or phone call.   509-421-2966
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: December 25, 2017, 08:15:38 AM »
Yep Mike at HCA does a great job !

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]