collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Would love some suppressor advice  (Read 5042 times)

Offline SeaRun1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
Re: Would love some suppressor advice
« Reply #15 on: December 31, 2017, 07:23:55 PM »
Having a .30 cal can and a .22lr can, I would say both are equally important. I bought the .30 cal can first, and as soon as I did I realized I wanted a .22 can for the ability to go really quiet.  My question to the OP would be do you want hearing safe or the fun factor? If fun go .22. They are crazy quiet. Especially out of a .22 pistol. If you want to hunt and shoot your AR get a multi can. I would recommend getting both. Once you have one you will want them for all your guns. Do not shoot .22lr through centerfire suppressors. The lead build up is crazy! And having a serviceable.22lr can is extremely important.

I want to shoot quietly for fun.  I want to plink with the wife after work to get her more in to shooting.  I may want a rifle suppressor down the road but I have zero threaded guns at this point in time.

SR1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #16 on: December 31, 2017, 07:27:31 PM »
I want to shoot quietly for fun.  I want to plink with the wife after work to get her more in to shooting.  I may want a rifle suppressor down the road but I have zero threaded guns at this point in time.

SR1

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Makes since  :tup:

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: December 31, 2017, 07:31:39 PM »
Sense

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #18 on: December 31, 2017, 07:31:51 PM »
 :chuckle:

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #19 on: December 31, 2017, 07:40:41 PM »
 :DOH: :lol4:

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
Re: Would love some suppress advice
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2018, 07:01:28 AM »
My GEMTECH is good for 5.56-300 mag. I personally wouldn't waste my time and money on a CAN for a 22.
So is mine buy why would I hange a can that weighs 17oz off the front of my 22/45 , when I could hang 6.5 oz off it  :dunno:

Can't answer except, I don't care because it's a cool factor thing. Lighten up the gun so it all evens itself out.... :dunno: besides, a pound for me means nothing anyhow, because I can't hike anymore.  :chuckle:
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline birdshooter1189

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2018, 09:18:04 AM »
Just get yourself an 80% and avoid all the hassle. Comes with all the collets to finish the machining easy with a hand drill. Sellin em down at Gimme Guns in Selah.
Are 80 % supressors even a thing ? Or are you talking about " Solvent traps " .
How does it avoid the hassle ? You still need a stamp to legally own a suppressor. Getting a can that's 80 % complete would require a stamp to manufacture the rest would it not ?

I don't know about buying an "80% suppressor".  However I have built 2 myself from scratch.

Yes, you DO still need a stamp to manufacture it.  Form 4 stamp for transferring a suppressor, Form 1 stamp for manufacturing one.  Basically the same form with the same details. 

For a Form 1, you fill out the paperwork and send it in just like a form 4.  AFTER you get your approved paperwork back and stamp, then you can manufacture the suppressor per the specs that you listed on the form and then stamp the required information on the side of it. (serial number, model number, etc.).

Do the research yourself if you are considering an 80% suppressor.  But I would think the way it works is that you could buy the 80% parts whenever with no paperwork.  But I would not begin "finishing" it until I had my Form 1 stamp in hand.

Offline Yondering

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
Re: Would love some suppress advice
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2018, 10:29:03 AM »
The TBAC 22 Take down would be my first choice for a dedicated rimfire suppressor closely followed by the Dead Air Mask and Spectre II.  If you plan to use a suppressor on 22lr a lot getting one that you can take apart and clean is better than getting a sealed centerfire suppressor that you can't take apart.  You can clean sealed suppressors also but it's a different process and not nearly as easy as one you can take apart to clean yourself.

What do you think about the design on Gemtech's .22 can? Thought their single piece core looks pretty quick for disassembly and cleaning ! I too am looking at .22 cans and think the tbac and dead air would be hard to beat but the $$$ hurts...

I think the vast majority of them work well, it's just that some are a little quieter and lighter than others.

He's specifically asking about Gemtech's .22 can, the GM-22. Sorry to say, it sucks, don't waste your money. They had a really good performer in the Outback series, but abandoned that and went with this newer monocore design that's cheaper to manufacture. It's a lot louder than my old Outback II; I'd expect anyone that bought one to be disappointed if they've heard other good .22 cans.

I disagree with the recomendations to get a centerfire rifle can instead. There's a huge difference in size and weight compared to a decent .22 suppressor, and if a guy just wants a way to do some quiet plinking with the family, nothing beats a .22 for that.

Offline huntandjeep

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2018, 11:15:36 AM »
Just get yourself an 80% and avoid all the hassle. Comes with all the collets to finish the machining easy with a hand drill. Sellin em down at Gimme Guns in Selah.
Are 80 % supressors even a thing ? Or are you talking about " Solvent traps " .
How does it avoid the hassle ? You still need a stamp to legally own a suppressor. Getting a can that's 80 % complete would require a stamp to manufacture the rest would it not ?

I don't know about buying an "80% suppressor".  However I have built 2 myself from scratch.

Yes, you DO still need a stamp to manufacture it.  Form 4 stamp for transferring a suppressor, Form 1 stamp for manufacturing one.  Basically the same form with the same details. 

For a Form 1, you fill out the paperwork and send it in just like a form 4.  AFTER you get your approved paperwork back and stamp, then you can manufacture the suppressor per the specs that you listed on the form and then stamp the required information on the side of it. (serial number, model number, etc.).

Do the research yourself if you are considering an 80% suppressor.  But I would think the way it works is that you could buy the 80% parts whenever with no paperwork.  But I would not begin "finishing" it until I had my Form 1 stamp in hand.
I know all about being able to make your own can and the different stamps required. Was just questioning  Calvin Rayborn when he said " Just get yourself an 80% and avoid the hassle " . There is still the hassle ( wait  & $ ) of the form 1 .
Anyone that thinks a Glock is better than a 1911 paints his toenails.
Yakima Valley Mountaineers

Offline Yondering

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2018, 02:22:05 PM »

I know all about being able to make your own can and the different stamps required. Was just questioning  Calvin Rayborn when he said " Just get yourself an 80% and avoid the hassle " . There is still the hassle ( wait  & $ ) of the form 1 .

Yes, just as much "hassle" with paperwork, and then more hassle to build it without the right tools, and you end up with a generally inferior suppressor anyway. (If do have the right tools, you can build your own from scratch, that's different.) About the only thing you really save with a solvent trap suppressor build is some cash, but even that doesn't always work out.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]