collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Would love some suppressor advice  (Read 5043 times)

Offline SeaRun1

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
Would love some suppressor advice
« on: December 30, 2017, 02:35:28 PM »
My first 2018 purchase will be a suppressor.  Never owned one or shot one to date.  Would love to get some advice on a suppressor for a 22 Long Rifle.

I have done a little research and like the Silent SR from Ruger and the Dead Air suppressor.  They are both $449 which seems really expensive to me when you add in the $200 fee for getting one from the government.

Can I buy one for a 223 and use it for 22 LR?  How quiet are they?  Do you have one that you can recommend?

Thanks for the advice.

SR1
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 10:50:39 PM by SeaRun1 »

Offline huntandjeep

• Trade Count: (+13)
  • Frontiersman
Re: Would love some suppress advice
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 02:56:21 PM »
No opinion on the 2 you listed but I have an SWR Spectre 2 for my .22's. I went with this one because it can be took apart for cleaning, and is rated for .17/.22 and 5.7.  On my CZ 455 with CCI quites all I here is the firing pin drop   :chuckle: same on my 22/45 Mark 3. Using it with my .17HMR it sounds about like a Gamo pellet rifle.  Usually I shoot CCI mini mags in my .22's which sounds like using 22 shorts in a non suppressed rifle.
 You could buy one rated for .223 and use it for a .22 but they are heavier and bigger. That's what I 1st did . Then decided to get a dedicated .22 can.
Anyone that thinks a Glock is better than a 1911 paints his toenails.
Yakima Valley Mountaineers

Offline ASHQUACK

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2017, 03:17:26 PM »
Look into a multi gun suppressor. Something along the lines of the silencerco hybrid that way you're not stuck with one gun.

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2017, 03:36:50 PM »
The TBAC 22 Take down would be my first choice for a dedicated rimfire suppressor closely followed by the Dead Air Mask and Spectre II.  If you plan to use a suppressor on 22lr a lot getting one that you can take apart and clean is better than getting a sealed centerfire suppressor that you can't take apart.  You can clean sealed suppressors also but it's a different process and not nearly as easy as one you can take apart to clean yourself.

Offline swordtine

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Tracker
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2017, 04:47:42 PM »
The TBAC 22 Take down would be my first choice for a dedicated rimfire suppressor closely followed by the Dead Air Mask and Spectre II.  If you plan to use a suppressor on 22lr a lot getting one that you can take apart and clean is better than getting a sealed centerfire suppressor that you can't take apart.  You can clean sealed suppressors also but it's a different process and not nearly as easy as one you can take apart to clean yourself.

What do you think about the design on Gemtech's .22 can? Thought their single piece core looks pretty quick for disassembly and cleaning ! I too am looking at .22 cans and think the tbac and dead air would be hard to beat but the $$$ hurts...
"He is no fool who gives what he cannot keep to gain what he cannot lose."

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2017, 05:06:28 PM »
My GEMTECH is good for 5.56-300 mag. I personally wouldn't waste my time and money on a CAN for a 22.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline huntandjeep

• Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2017, 05:38:26 PM »

What do you think about the design on Gemtech's .22 can? Thought their single piece core looks pretty quick for disassembly and cleaning ! I too am looking at .22 cans and think the tbac and dead air would be hard to beat but the $$$ hurts...
Gemtech is GTG. I have one for 556. Only thing I don't like about monocore i s if you have baffle strike in a baffle can you can replace a couple baffles cheaper than having to replace the entire monocore .

Offline huntandjeep

• Frontiersman
« Reply #7 on: December 30, 2017, 05:46:30 PM »
My GEMTECH is good for 5.56-300 mag. I personally wouldn't waste my time and money on a CAN for a 22.
So is mine buy why would I hange a can that weighs 17oz off the front of my 22/45 , when I could hang 6.5 oz off it  :dunno:

Offline Fungunnin

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Hunter
« Reply #8 on: December 30, 2017, 07:34:41 PM »
I have 3 cans. One for 22's one for rifle up to 30 cal and one for center fire pistols up to 45. Those three pretty cover any gun I would want to suppress as I have no plan on buying a rifle larger than 30 cal.
Of the 3 cans the 22 gets shot about 75% of the time. It is a blast to shot 22 quiet.
I have an SWR Sparrow and love it. Mono core is easy to disassemble and clean. Which I believe it pretty much mandatory on a 22 can. They get super dirty.
The difference between a cheap 22 can and a top of the line can is only a few hundred bucks. You might as well spend the extra money because after waiting 10 months for your paperwork to clear the worst thing would be to wish you had the lighter/quieter/easier to clean model.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline aaronoto

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #9 on: December 30, 2017, 07:37:04 PM »

Gotta agree here, I would never recommend a .22 can as your first one to get.  Go multi-caliber and get one that will cover your centerfire rifles.  I'm partial to AAC although my next will either be Surefire or TBAC.  You'll pay more, but considering it can cover 3-4 rifles, makes it worth it in my opinion.  But I guess if you only shoot a .22 then go for it.

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: December 30, 2017, 08:15:17 PM »

I think the vast majority of them work well, it's just that some are a little quieter and lighter than others.

I have TBAC and SAS rifle suppressors with a Dead Air Ghost as my pistol suppressor.  Both TBAC and SAS are some of the quietest, lightest, and most accurate cans on the market so for me, they are what I have and use.

If I were starting all over again, I'd get a TBAC 22 Take Down suppressor to use on everything in the rimfire line as well as the 17/22 Hornet and 5.7x28 then look at getting a TBAC Ultra7 .30cal can to use on all my centerfire rifles .30 cal and smaller.  With those two suppressors a person would cover a pretty wide range of guns.

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #11 on: December 30, 2017, 09:01:03 PM »
I've shot a 22 with a CAN on it and it really didn't give me the "WOW" factor, if you want to call it that.

The Silencershop is always having specials, so maybe you could pickup 2 for under a $1300 including the tax stamp. :dunno:

Setup a Trust too.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline DJ_Mack

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Scout
Would love some suppressor advice
« Reply #12 on: December 31, 2017, 08:55:36 AM »
Having a .30 cal can and a .22lr can, I would say both are equally important. I bought the .30 cal can first, and as soon as I did I realized I wanted a .22 can for the ability to go really quiet.  My question to the OP would be do you want hearing safe or the fun factor? If fun go .22. They are crazy quiet. Especially out of a .22 pistol. If you want to hunt and shoot your AR get a multi can. I would recommend getting both. Once you have one you will want them for all your guns. Do not shoot .22lr through centerfire suppressors. The lead build up is crazy! And having a serviceable.22lr can is extremely important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
The beauty of the Second Amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it.

If you stand for nothing, you will fall for anything.

Offline Calvin Rayborn

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA Life Member, ATA Gold-Card Life Member
Re: Would love some suppressor advice
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2017, 09:04:34 AM »
Just get yourself an 80% and avoid all the hassle. Comes with all the collets to finish the machining easy with a hand drill. Sellin em down at Gimme Guns in Selah.

Offline huntandjeep

• Frontiersman
Re: Would love some suppressor advice
« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2017, 06:29:06 PM »
Just get yourself an 80% and avoid all the hassle. Comes with all the collets to finish the machining easy with a hand drill. Sellin em down at Gimme Guns in Selah.
Are 80 % supressors even a thing ? Or are you talking about " Solvent traps " .
How does it avoid the hassle ? You still need a stamp to legally own a suppressor. Getting a can that's 80 % complete would require a stamp to manufacture the rest would it not ?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw