collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: More blood and guts  (Read 52875 times)

Offline Elkcollector82

• Work to live, not live to work.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Hunt hard by laying boot tracks, Not tire tracks
More blood and guts
« Reply #135 on: January 04, 2018, 07:44:13 PM »
Are you doubting his hunting methods or abilities?

Both. Only seeing one elk a year in 513.  :chuckle: must have super dark tinted windows.  :dunno:
I hike quite a bit in that unit. I also guarantee that I spend more time in that unit than you do every year. Maybe you should take your crappy comments elsewhere and let the grown ups have a conversation instead of trying to bash my comments. Ohh and btw.. with a 15% or lower blacktail kill percentage in that unit I have killed deer in there every year except for this year when I hunted Kapowsin instead. I have seen with my own eyes the "natives" killing more animals up in those hills than you probably have seen in a whole year of scouting and hunting up there.

You blame the natives for driving around and jumping out and shooting 8-10 elk. Well that statement is most likely false. That area is to brushy near the roads. To be able to pull that off. Unless it’s in a thinned out area. Even then it most likely was 2-3. That’s some pretty good shooting to dump 8-10 elk on a dead run through the timber. Should of asked them for shooting tips. You also claim that elk/deer numbers went down over the years. That I agree with. But natives have been doing what they do for a very long time. So let’s look at what other things have changed and accured.

Back in 96. Hound hunting was banned. Banning of hounds to hunt bears and cougars. Noticeably in the first few years nothing was noticed. Let’s say year 10 after the ban took place. Everyone started to notice the lack of elk/deer numbers. Now I know your scratching your head at this point. The over population of predators does far more damage to the elk/deer numbers then ANY truck load of natives could do. One single cougar kills an elk/deer a week. Bears do their part on fawns/calf’s. Washington state quota is what a few hundred cougars a year. Early season starts September 1st tell December 31. Then late season starts January tell April. But half the units are closed come January 1st.  So in those areas the cougars don’t even get a dent put in them. You take 5 cougars out of let’s say unit 101. For the 5 taken. How many more Cubs are born. Way more then 5. So the predators will always grow in this state. Bears are a little better managed. But yet season is over November 15th. The wdfw offer very little spring bear tags and only for a select number of units. That’s a problem. Should be more tags and every unit has a spring bear season. So before you go bashing the natives for shooting an elk on feeding grounds. Maybe you should educate yourself on just how much damage the predators are doing. That’s not even considering the over population of coyotes and then the wolves.

Also last year. The wdfw some how miss placed half million fish on cowlitz. That’s gonna have a huge impact. Again way more then any native can dip, catch or whatever method they use. The wdfw says their hands are tied. I’m sure to a point that’s correct. Yet if the natives are in the spot light to us hunters. It takes it off of wdfw.

You can take it for what it’s worth. Are the tactics that a hand full of natives do effect the elk/deer numbers. Yes but very small part.  But the bigger problem is predators hands down. Without predator control. Our elk/deer have no chance.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 09:25:59 PM by jackelope »

Offline ribka

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Old Salt
  • That's what she said
Re: More blood and guts
« Reply #136 on: January 04, 2018, 07:52:02 PM »

Keep it on track and leave the personal attacks out of it.

:peep:
you got it. My bad. I shouldn't have let him pull me into that.

Back on topic. We have FAR too many variables ticking away at our herds of animals. Poachers being a big one and the excessive taking of game from other groups as well as the wolves and other apex predators in this state. We need EVERYONE to start reporting the animals they harvest and I mean that as in not just us sportsmen and women but also tribal.

x2  :tup:

Offline cryder

• relic01
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • elk down
« Reply #137 on: January 06, 2018, 07:04:12 AM »
I have a native friend that keeps asking me to go elk hunting with him on tribal lands , never have cuz of the jail time factors , but what would you guys do ? Is this a no no I'm not a state legislature guru , so I don't no , I'll try to find the end of this jiggernot , to check your info , very interested , he gets elk every year so , I'm somewhat interested , or I could just go fishing ?
loction location location ! perzackly !

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #138 on: January 06, 2018, 07:58:10 AM »
I have a native friend that keeps asking me to go elk hunting with him on tribal lands , never have cuz of the jail time factors , but what would you guys do ? Is this a no no I'm not a state legislature guru , so I don't no , I'll try to find the end of this jiggernot , to check your info , very interested , he gets elk every year so , I'm somewhat interested , or I could just go fishing ?

I suspect it would depend on the tribe. My father in law is registered Yakama, and my husband can go with him on tribal land as a family helper.

P.S. they've hunted elk together for 3 years there and have yet to bring one home.

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #139 on: January 06, 2018, 09:05:44 AM »
 :yeah:

If he is your friend and an ethical hunter I say why not go.

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #140 on: January 06, 2018, 10:27:22 AM »
I would hunt year around if I could but not at the bait station aka feed lot.  It would result in one dead elk every 1.5 years as that is what my family consumes.
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline Jpmiller

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #141 on: January 06, 2018, 12:34:57 PM »
I would hunt year around if I could but not at the bait station aka feed lot.  It would result in one dead elk every 1.5 years as that is what my family consumes.

Me too.

Until I realized I could make deer and elk a maistsy of my diet. I probably wouldn't eat much beef again. My family could go through at least a few deer and an elk in a year.

Come to think of it my mom would probably thing having a deer and elk in her freezer was nice too so I could get her some as well.

It's real easy for my to see how one person shoots multiple animals a year.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #142 on: January 06, 2018, 12:57:46 PM »

Me too.

Until I realized I could make deer and elk a maistsy of my diet. I probably wouldn't eat much beef again. My family could go through at least a few deer and an elk in a year.

Come to think of it my mom would probably thing having a deer and elk in her freezer was nice too so I could get her some as well.

There's more than a few on here that travel to three or more states a year killing elk in all three as well as deer.  But they also have to report harvests so numbers can be used for management.

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #143 on: January 06, 2018, 04:31:13 PM »

Me too.

There's more than a few on here that travel to three or more states a year killing elk in all three as well as deer.  But they also have to report harvests so numbers can be used for management.

In a perfect world there would be record but hunting without a license year round makes data gathering difficult. I also don't like the stories I hear of animals being sold or of waste of meat, but I think the taking of multiple animals at a time or over the course of a year is more understandable than outrageous.

Offline Duckslayer89

• Frontiersman
More blood and guts
« Reply #144 on: January 06, 2018, 07:29:45 PM »

Me too.

In a perfect world there would be record but hunting without a license year round makes data gathering difficult. I also don't like the stories I hear of animals being sold or of waste of meat, but I think the taking of multiple animals at a time or over the course of a year is more understandable than outrageous.

My cousin worked as a prison guard in Orofino Idaho for 20+ years and use to clean up the reservation houses on projects. Said there would be stacks of rotten untouched carcuses in the backyards of these homes. Stewards of the land my —-
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 08:27:11 PM by jackelope »

Offline ribka

• Old Salt
  • That's what she said
More blood and guts
« Reply #145 on: January 06, 2018, 09:10:29 PM »

Me too.

My cousin worked as a prison guard in Orofino Idaho for 20+ years and use to clean up the reservation houses on projects. Said there would be stacks of rotten untouched carcuses in the backyards of these homes. Stewards of the land my —-.

i grew up next to a chippewa rez in NW WI and used to play on rez

Revealing how dogs, horses and sometimes children are treated , plus the game wastage, - Take a drive out sometimes on the special land and let your eyes and ears take in what is really happening -real shame

replying to your stewards of the land remark
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 08:27:42 PM by jackelope »

Offline Time Immemorial 1855

• Hunter
« Reply #146 on: January 31, 2018, 03:03:50 AM »
I'm going to leave this here and say no white guy will specifically drive to the Nile feeding station to shoot elk in the daylight.

If a white guy poaches deer or elk on public land this time of year, he does it at night unless it is in his own yard.

You guys do know that it's not just white people that hunt public ground.

I'm white, but it makes this thread sound kind of ignorant when I keep reading about white people vs natives.

I don't know why you need to see pictures? We've all seen dead deer and elk and we all know that this goes on, the real unfortunate thing is that we live next to one of the greediest tribes in the state if not country and they do whatever they want whenever they want and don't give any thought to where the majority of the funding for these resources is coming from. The Yakamas have done a lot for the salmon and steelhead, but they are raping and pillaging our deer and elk herds without a second thought.

I know of a guy that was in a meeting with the Yakamas about the Muckleshoot tribe coming over the pass and hunting. In that meeting one of the Yakama elders told the whole meeting that the Yaks will have to shoot every deer and elk so that the Muckleshoots won't come over and hunt their ceded land. That kind of sums up the thought process that goes on over there. I'm not saying that all of them are like this, but the ones that are have branded natives with a horrible reputation in most of the outdoor communities
I doubt that was ever said, an I am pretty sure that this meeting never happened in the first place

• Hunter
« Reply #147 on: January 31, 2018, 03:20:48 AM »
Cavemann,

I think we agree.

As I said, I think the US gov't should use EVERY available lever to renegotiate the treaties.   

And I certainly don't think that having a few people harvest wayyyyyyy more than what they need is an OK plan. 

But, a deal is a deal. So let's use the leverage we have to renegotiate......   because we can't just walk away from the treaty.
Id be willing to support a pay off, give each member 100,000 to follow state rules off the reservation, including all waters.
If any member took the money, they would no longer be a member either

• Hunter
« Reply #148 on: January 31, 2018, 03:36:33 AM »
So how come no one has said this...
Legally as it maybe out of glen wood and trout lake the yaks are getting 75$ for a deer and 150+$ for elk.. non tribesman are paying them for this. Growing up around some of the Indians if they make money at it they will do it. So is that legal? I asked a game warden about it.. he said he couldn’t do anything about it... so how are his hands tied?

This is an interesting point...the other day I spoke with an enrolled member down here on the yakama res who told me he asked someone on the council whether he could sell the meat from elk he shoots and was told if he is selling it to feed his family it is just another way he is providing a living....which I guess in principle I do agree with but the problem I have with it is the extremely finite nature of the resource he is utilizing. Wild game can be so easily overharvested, and cannot be propagated to match harvest in the same ways domesticated livestock can...

I asked the fellow how hard it would be for him to harvest say, 10 elk in a year,  and he kind of just chuckled and said 10? That's easy.

In all fairness I do believe this man is providing meat for several families not just his own, however, he had a medium sized cow elk in his truck bed and told me he shot a 6x7 bull as well as another bull at the same time way up oak creek somewhere the week before. And had already bagged multiple cows before these... But he only had until the 1st to take cows so he was going back up..........

I say all of this not to incite jealousy or hatred, but simply to state the obvious: if there are even only one or two dozen members of every tribe "playing by the rules" which this man is, doing this and harvesting upwards of a dozen elk every year or more, how can we hope to see and enjoy a thriving population of these animals for generations to come?
I can bet that no councilmen ever said that about selling game, it's  against our law to do so

• Hunter
« Reply #149 on: January 31, 2018, 03:38:16 AM »
The bashing never ends.   So sad.  You can’t pick your parents, when or where you are born. Some are born to privilege some to poverty.   Some are working and never getting ahead, some have no worries or wants. Just because it is not fair to you doesn’t mean it’s not fair. Get educated and stop the hate. Yes I’m 100% European decent. My family moved onto the Yakama Rez in 1917 on my mother’s side. 1931 on my fathers side. I am the 4 th generation of Satus area farmers. I have no more rights on the Rez than someone living in Seattle . I have seen the good and bad in Native and non Native. It’s easy to point fingures at the Natives cause they do hunt in the daytime within their treaty rights . There is way more damage done at night by non natives. I shake my head at how fast members of this forum throw out the whole box when it’s a limited few who are rotten.   SO SAD. NUFF SAID
:yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah: :yeah:
Thank you

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal