collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Rabbit cuts, advice wanted  (Read 3527 times)

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
Rabbit cuts, advice wanted
« on: December 31, 2017, 09:21:11 PM »
I helped a friend butcher some rabbits earlier this weekend and am hoping to cut them up this weekend and store them.
I'm thinking about keeping all the belly flaps together for jerky, front legs for wings, debone the saddles for sausage, and keep the rear legs whole for smoking or slow cooking. The rest can go in the "soup" pile.
Does this sound like a good approach? Or alternate suggestions? I've never pieced out multiple rabbits before. Thanks!

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
Re: Rabbit cuts, advice wanted
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2017, 09:24:41 PM »
Yes, that's almost exactly what I did.

You'll love rabbit wings  :tup:

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 09:26:29 PM »
If you got them young enough you can use those saddles like a chicken breast

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2017, 09:35:24 PM »
Thanks KFhunter. Glad to hear I'm on the right track.

Several were a little older than usual. The owner had health issues that has impaired their ability to butcher on their own. I want to be able to give them some of the finished packages as well.

Offline Bigshooter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 08:09:01 PM »
Those saddles are the back straps.  It's my favorite part of the rabbit.  I love them fried like chicken.  No way I would turn that into sausage.
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline GBoyd

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #5 on: January 01, 2018, 08:23:17 PM »
https://honest-food.net/how-to-cut-up-a-rabbit/

This is how I do it. I usually throw away the belly flap though because whatever recipe that I'm doing using the other pieces won't be good for that loose meat.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #6 on: January 01, 2018, 09:32:33 PM »
I split them length ways too, I've done it a lot of ways.

When your transitioning store bought chicken eaters into rabbit eaters you don't want those rabbits past 5 weeks of age, especially if you're substituting saddles for chicken breast; it's just too big of a leap. Anything over 5 or 6 weeks of age goes into soups, or gets cut into small pieces, or sausage.

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 07:04:51 AM »
Yeah, I ended up keeping most of the backstraps in whole pieces. The ones that weren't very tender or had a lot of thick silver skin went into the sausage pile.
The front legs went into packages of 6 each for "wings", rear legs into packages of 2 each, loins into packs of about 4 or 5 each. The belly flaps will probably be made into jerky this weekend, and I will smoke a half dozen rear legs (probably another weekend). Anything else I could get off the bones went in to the sausage pile, and all of the bones are in a huge bag to make soup and pressure can stock.  :drool:  :IBCOOL:

Offline runamuk

• Explorer
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 05:13:49 PM »
Fried chicken style is pretty easy to pass off as like chicken.  Also I would think cooking it up chicken and dumpling style also would be pretty acceptable to most palates.

Offline Redstar

• Business Sponsor
  • Scout
    • https://www.facebook.com/Makerneer/
    • Makerneer
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 06:16:51 PM »
That link for cutting up a rabbit is great, I remember looking at it when I butchered my first few rabbits.

I really like rabbit curry. I do more of a Japanese style curry. Cut isn't as important since you end up basically boiling the meat until it's tender. Add some carrots, onions and whatever other veggies you like and serve over rice.

Hot S&B Golden Curry Sauce Mix is my favorite. Safeway usually has it, here's the amazon link because I can't find it on safeway's website. http://amzn.to/2CH0vIc
Need a thing-a-majig? I can help!

3D printing, CNC routing and machining, Laser cutting and engraving, Vinyl cutting, Metal work, Woodwork, custom shirts, a bit of everything!

Now featuring a large format CNC router capable of 4' x 16' and gigantic 3D printing capacity of 16 cubic feet, yes you read right cubic feet!

Checkout more of what I'm up to here https://www.makerneer.com/blog

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2018, 07:17:23 AM »
Did a quick weeknight meal of rabbit legs (herb rubbed in the morning, pan seared and oven finished), risotto from a package and brussels sprouts last night. The legs were a little tougher than chicken thighs probably more due to it being an older animal and a rushed cooking, but the husband said it tasted just like chicken.

I'll have to try the curry. I had been wondering about that. And the fried style is on my list too.

Offline Bigshooter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2018, 07:35:47 AM »
I split them length ways too, I've done it a lot of ways.

When your transitioning store bought chicken eaters into rabbit eaters you don't want those rabbits past 5 weeks of age, especially if you're substituting saddles for chicken breast; it's just too big of a leap. Anything over 5 or 6 weeks of age goes into soups, or gets cut into small pieces, or sausage.

I usually butcher at 12 to 16 weeks.  They dressed at about 6 - 8 pounds and are super tender.  Fooled a lot of people into thinking they were eating chicken.
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2018, 07:43:28 AM »
Threads like this make me wish the females in my house were ok with us eating rabbits.

I can verify that crock pot pulled rabbit is awesome and might be a good way to utilize the older rabbits.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jennabug

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2018, 08:07:29 AM »
Threads like this make me wish the females in my house were ok with us eating rabbits.

I can verify that crock pot pulled rabbit is awesome and might be a good way to utilize the older rabbits.
:sry: I wish you could too.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2018, 08:12:20 AM »
It's all good. At this point, me selling her excess animals pays a good part of her feed bills.

:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal