collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Wyoming Elk  (Read 10311 times)

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
Re: Wyoming Elk
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2018, 06:18:42 AM »
The muddy waters are starting to clear up for me, thank you guys.  So can I put in for my hard to draw type 1 unit 62 as my first choice, then do a type 9 easier draw unit as my second? And if drawn for my second choice, keep my 10 points? 
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2018, 06:24:46 AM »
The muddy waters are starting to clear up for me, thank you guys.  So can I put in for my hard to draw type 1 unit 62 as my first choice, then do a type 9 easier draw unit as my second? And if drawn for my second choice, keep my 10 points?

That's correct you lose your points only by drawing first choice.
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2018, 06:58:59 AM »

That's correct you lose your points only by drawing first choice.
Dang, all these years I've only put in for my one choice!!  Anyone know a good second choice for archery I should be putting in for, doesn't have to be a trophy unit?

Offline ffbowhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2018, 08:01:29 AM »
I would double check that you can even draw a type 9 second choice with a regular tag.

Offline Netminder01

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2018, 08:26:55 AM »
tag

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2018, 08:32:46 AM »
I would double check that you can even draw a type 9 second choice with a regular tag.
ok, I will call when I can, thanks for the help

Offline Bob33

• Global Moderator
  • Legend
  • Groups: SCI, RMEF, NRA, Hunter Education
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2018, 08:36:33 AM »
https://wgfd.wyo.gov/Hunting/WGFD_APPNARRATIVE.pdf

For nonresident full price elk, deer and antelope, preference points can be accumulated either by submitting the applicable fee when applying for the initial limited quota drawing for licenses or by purchasing a preference point during the preference point only application period as per the dates on page 3.

If the nonresident applicant wants to accumulate preference points in the initial license drawing, they must select the fee option that includes the preference point fees for full price elk, deer and antelope licenses. The preference point fees that must be remitted are $52 for elk, $41 for deer and $31 for antelope ($10 for youth for each species). These applicants will be awarded a preference point if unsuccessful in drawing their first choice.

For nonresident full price elk, full price deer and full price antelope, an individual’s accumulated preference points are only considered in the initial drawing for the applicant’s first choice in the preference point drawing.

If the applicant submits the appropriate preference point fee with their license application for the initial license drawing and does not draw their first choice, they will be awarded a preference point for the year in which the application was submitted. Drawing a license for your second or third choice does not cause preference points to be deleted and the applicant will still be awarded a preference point for the year.

For nonresident full price elk, full price deer and full price antelope, an applicant will lose all accumulated preference points if they draw their first choice license in the initial limited quota drawing or if they fail to purchase a preference point in the initial drawing or during the appropriate application period for two (2) consecutive years.

For party applications, all of the applicants’ preference point totals will be averaged to determine the preference point ranking used in the initial preference point drawing.

There are no preference points for reduced price cow/calf or reduced price doe/fawn licenses. Applicants for reduced price licenses do not lose their preference points if successful in the reduced price license drawing, nor do they accumulate preference points if they are unsuccessful drawing these license types.

Some suggestions when applying for licenses with the preference point option: to maintain your preference points, do not apply for an easy-to-draw area as your first choice. If you do and are successful, then all of your accumulated points will be deleted and the odds of drawing a license in a hard-to-draw area will be diminished for several years until you build up 14 preference points again. If you desire to hunt more often without sacrificing your preference points, continue to apply for your preferred (hard-to-draw) hunt area as a first choice and apply for easy-to-draw hunt areas as your second choice. By reviewing the random drawing odds from previous years, you can find hunt areas with good odds of drawing a license as a second and possibly a third choice. On the other hand, it is nearly certain you will draw a license in a hunt area with 100% odds listed for the second choice drawing. However, be advised that drawing odds can and do change from year to year as applicants shift their preferences for specific hunt areas. The prior year’s drawing odds are a useful indicator of relative odds, but provide no absolute guarantees.

Nature. It's cheaper than therapy.

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2018, 09:41:00 AM »
Don’t forget, you can decide if you want to be special.
My interpretation of the rules are open to interpretation.
Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

Offline ffbowhunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2018, 10:00:14 AM »
Well my app is in time to roll the dice!

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Explorer
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2018, 10:09:20 AM »
Well my app is in time to roll the dice!
best of luck!

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2018, 02:56:51 PM »
My great hope is that sometime in the near future people will start calling em "archery" instead of "type 9". I also hope I draw a archery tag in WY sometime soon...
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline Bigshooter

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #26 on: January 03, 2018, 07:41:50 AM »
My great hope is that sometime in the near future people will start calling em "archery" instead of "type 9". I also hope I draw a archery tag in WY sometime soon...

Since almost every type 1 tag has an archery season attached to it what do you call the type 1 tags?  Archery tags, rifle tags or type 1? 

So do you want to draw a type 9 tag sometime soon or a type 1 tag?  Since both most likely will have an archery season.
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: January 03, 2018, 09:23:46 AM »
True dat. Maybe "archery only" tag. I'm looking to draw a archery only tag :)
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline Bigshooter

• Old Salt
  • High Wide And Heavy
« Reply #28 on: January 03, 2018, 12:41:24 PM »
True dat. Maybe "archery only" tag. I'm looking to draw a archery only tag :)

:chuckle:
Welcome to liberal America, where the truth is condemned and facts are ignored so as not to "offend" anyone

"Borders, language, culture."

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #29 on: January 03, 2018, 01:13:29 PM »
So if this is dumb I apologize but I'm having a hard time communicating with my family out there to find what unit he typically hunts. If he can buy a general otc elk tag as a resident can I apply for a general elk tag as a nonresident and hunt wherever he is or since I'm non resident I need to specify a unit to apply?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Taco280AI
[Today at 03:45:23 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]