collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Long Range Heavy Bullet Rifle Help?  (Read 31826 times)

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
Re: Long Range Heavy Bullet Rifle Help?
« Reply #75 on: January 03, 2018, 10:55:16 PM »
Oh hi jrebel,  totally forgot you were here  :hello:

Well you know.......a guy steps away for a couple hours and the pissing contest begins.  Kind of surprised a sponsor would get down in the weeds with another member to sling mud.  Probably should have taken the high ground.  Both had valid points and should have let it go at that.  Not sure what skin Karl had in the game but two on one is kind of not fair.  Oh well......back on track. 

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #76 on: January 03, 2018, 10:58:19 PM »
https://www.gunbroker.com/item/733360137

Fierce might be worth a look. Looks to be pretty good for the money.

Chambered in 300 WINCHESTER MAGNUM
FIERCE'S OWN TRIAD ACTION, Chrome Moly, Cerekoted in Titanium Gray, Polished One-piece Bolt, and Fierce's LastGuard Weatherproof Application
26” Hand-lapped, Stainless Steel, Match-grade, Button Rifled Barrel, Target Crown, with 1-10 Twist, With Fierce's LastGuard Weatherproof Application
Pillar Bedded
FIERCE's Proprietary CARBON FIBER Monte Carlo-style Stock, Black with Grey Spiderwebbing
FIERCE's 42-Hole, 15-degree Forward Slant Muzzle Brake - Up To 55% Recoil Reduction
Adjustable (2-4 lbs), Match-grade Trigger
Three-position Safety
FIERCE's Speed-box Magazine
FIERCE's Scope Bases (Picatinny-style) INCLUDED
1” Recoil Pad
Weight = 7lbs
Comes With 1/2" Group Accuracy Guarantee

$2,000
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 11:52:36 AM by Curly »
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #77 on: January 03, 2018, 11:05:09 PM »
Back on track with the discussion at hand. Take the carbon fiber pissing match elsewhere.
Thanks,
The management.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline Biggerhammer

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #78 on: January 03, 2018, 11:16:33 PM »
Oh hi jrebel,  totally forgot you were here  :hello:

Well you know.......a guy steps away for a couple hours and the pissing contest begins.  Kind of surprised a sponsor would get down in the weeds with another member to sling mud.  Probably should have taken the high ground.  Both had valid points and should have let it go at that.  Not sure what skin Karl had in the game but two on one is kind of not fair.  Oh well......back on track.

WoW! When I read that I felt like I was watching CNN. Go with a .300 Win Mag and call it good. It isn't overly complicated and you have plenty of factory ammo offerings in case reading everyone else's opinion takes up your time.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #79 on: January 03, 2018, 11:22:48 PM »
When I had my last magnum rifle built I wanted something not over 10# w scope that I could shoot 20 rounds through without having to wait 5 or 10 mins for barrel to cool between shots like I have to w fluted sporter barrel on my 338-378 for 1/2 moa accuracy.   I got one of Mikes barrels and it does exactly what I hoped.  The STEEL cools so quick my chamber evev stays much cooler now.  I wouldnt have believed it either if I hadnt seen it.  I don’t abuse it but its got a few hundred rounds down the pipe.  Love the cold bore performance and I cut shooting time by more than half. 

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #80 on: January 03, 2018, 11:38:58 PM »
BTW- I really enjoyed the discussion on CF barrels. I thought it was all good info on both sides. :twocents:
 :tup:
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
« Reply #81 on: January 03, 2018, 11:42:05 PM »
When I had my last magnum rifle built I wanted something not over 10# w scope that I could shoot 20 rounds through without having to wait 5 or 10 mins for barrel to cool between shots like I have to w fluted sporter barrel on my 338-378 for 1/2 moa accuracy.   I got one of Mikes barrels and it does exactly what I hoped.  The STEEL cools so quick my chamber evev stays much cooler now.  I wouldnt have believed it either if I hadnt seen it.  I don’t abuse it but its got a few hundred rounds down the pipe.  Love the cold bore performance and I cut shooting time by more than half.

I'll take it! You bring that rifle over or I'll come there. If you can run a 20 shot string under 1" at 100 yards, it should be everything you expected. I'll put 1K on the table, along with your 1K. 👍
« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 09:02:25 AM by Biggerhammer »

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #82 on: January 03, 2018, 11:45:31 PM »

I'll take it! You bring that rifle over or I'll come there. If you can run a 20 shot string under 1" at 100 yards, it should be everything you expected. I'll put 1K on the table, along with your 1K. 👍

what time frame?  20 shots in 1hr   or  20 shots in 20 minutes?

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
« Reply #83 on: January 03, 2018, 11:53:27 PM »

What part about a 20 shot string do you not understand. Ooooooh maybe this is the Clinton definition of "String" ? Do I need a attorney? I have them but I would rather spend my money on primers, powder, bullets and cute things that look good and smell better than Moose in the rut.

Offline mountainman

• Frontiersman
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2018, 11:58:57 PM »

Yep, his barrels are pretty amazing. Mike has perfected the lay up/resin application. Not all wraps are created equal!

Johnny, if not a build, there are many sporters, when chambered in an appropriate caliber, can fill those needs with little or no tweeking. Just get a few to your shoulder to feel what fits. I know how you like your Savages👍
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #85 on: January 04, 2018, 12:24:29 AM »

What part about a 20 shot string do you not understand. Ooooooh maybe this is the Clinton definition of "String" ? Do I need a attorney? I have them but I would rather spend my money on primers, powder, bullets and cute things that look good and smell better than Moose in the rut.
I was going to call it the 20/20 challenge

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
« Reply #86 on: January 04, 2018, 12:34:33 AM »
Your on to something?

There you go. Maybe you can start the 20/20 challenge shoot.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2018, 06:35:37 AM by Biggerhammer »

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #87 on: January 04, 2018, 07:15:14 AM »
BTW- I really enjoyed the discussion on CF barrels. I thought it was all good info on both sides. :twocents:
 :tup:

Someone is more than welcome to start a carbon fiber barrel thread. It's clearly off track of what the OP had in mind and he's made it clear he doesn't have any interest in a CF barrel.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2018, 08:48:25 AM »
What's your budget on this rig?
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2018, 09:00:07 AM »
NOW CAN WE GET THIS BACK ON TRACK........what rifle???  Pretty sure the caliber has been decided (99% on 300 win mag).  Barrel length will be 26".  What rate of twist for a 200-210 grain bullet.......9?? Or 10??

A 1-10 twist will be plenty fast enough for those bullets and even heavier, too.

In a 26in. tube built gun, my vote would be for the 30 Nosler followed close by a 300 Win.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by high_hunter
[Yesterday at 10:31:08 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by actionshooter
[Yesterday at 09:43:51 PM]

Walked a cougar down by MADMAX
[Yesterday at 08:31:53 PM]

Which 12” boat trailer tires? by timberhunter
[Yesterday at 08:22:18 PM]

Lowest power 22 round? by JakeLand
[Yesterday at 08:06:13 PM]