collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Long Range Heavy Bullet Rifle Help?  (Read 31865 times)

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
Re: Long Range Heavy Bullet Rifle Help?
« Reply #105 on: January 04, 2018, 09:57:22 AM »
The problem I have with custom builds is simply the cost.....for very little benefit to accuracy.  My 6.5 creedmoor savage will puch .87" groups at 300 yards with my hand loads pushing 140 grain accubonds 2710 fps.  This is with me behind the wheel....and I guarentee I am the weakest link.  A custom may give me a smother bolt or lighter rifle, but accuracy surely can't get much better with me pulling the trigger.  Maybe I am wrong....convince me to buy / build a custom that will take the place of all my old warhorses.   :tup:

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #106 on: January 04, 2018, 09:59:53 AM »
I've been eye balling these for a while now.  Much nicer than today's rem 700's. As much as I love rem their qc has sluffed off last few years

http://www.bergarausa.com/bergara_premier_series_long_range_rifle.php
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline Duckslayer89

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #107 on: January 04, 2018, 12:52:47 PM »
The problem I have with custom builds is simply the cost.....for very little benefit to accuracy.  My 6.5 creedmoor savage will puch .87" groups at 300 yards with my hand loads pushing 140 grain accubonds 2710 fps.  This is with me behind the wheel....and I guarentee I am the weakest link.  A custom may give me a smother bolt or lighter rifle, but accuracy surely can't get much better with me pulling the trigger.  Maybe I am wrong....convince me to buy / build a custom that will take the place of all my old warhorses.   :tup:

You may have shot a .87inch group once with it but does it repeat that over and over at 300 yards?

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #108 on: January 04, 2018, 01:03:00 PM »

You may have shot a .87inch group once with it but does it repeat that over and over at 300 yards?

So the .87 is my best, but will repeat sub 1.5" with all groups if I do my job. 

Offline Duckslayer89

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #109 on: January 04, 2018, 01:05:15 PM »

I'd be happy with that. Been looking for a little 6.5 lately for a family gun. What model savage? I've been looking at the Ruger American  predator

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #110 on: January 04, 2018, 01:10:39 PM »
Savage Stealth 6.5 creedmoor topped with a NF shv 5-20x56. 

Offline highside74

• Trade Count: (+11)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #111 on: January 04, 2018, 01:12:46 PM »
Ruger American Predator in the 6.5 has some really good reviews for accuracy and the price range is excellent.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #112 on: January 04, 2018, 01:23:57 PM »
I have a savage long range hunter 6.5-284 that is a real good shooter 1/2-5/8 moa consistently and am selling it to fund my next custom with zero regrets or second thoughts. A custom can be exactly what you want in every way possible.

Offline opdinkslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #113 on: January 04, 2018, 01:29:23 PM »

I'd be happy with that. Been looking for a little 6.5 lately for a family gun. What model savage? I've been looking at the Ruger American  predator

Take a look at the new savage 110 accufit models. The tactical dessert tan or predator in 6.5 creedmoor would be pretty sweet and an upgrade over an ruger American in every way but cost.  :twocents:

Offline Reidus

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #114 on: January 05, 2018, 09:44:53 AM »

I think you'll notice more of a difference in accuracy with the bigger calibers. Usually the harder the they recoil....the harder they are to get to shoot. Find an off the shelf 300 magnum that shoots that well.... It's a little more rare. I also think a custom gun that's put together right is going to shoot more consistent in different conditions and strings of shots due to less stress in all the components. factory guns tend to be a lot more finicky. Also if you get a chamber that's spec'd right and custom dies to match it, you probably won't be able to wear out your brass.   :twocents:

Online mountainman

• Frontiersman
« Reply #115 on: January 09, 2018, 09:16:08 AM »
Have you made a decision which direction?
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #116 on: January 09, 2018, 09:45:20 AM »
Have you made a decision which direction?

No.....took a week off to be sicker than a dog!!   :bash: :bash:  Now on the mend and back to some research.  Pretty sure I am not going 100% custom at this point.  Now just need to put hands on rifles as I see them and see what feels good.  Wish they made the Savage in a stainless...I would buy the 300 win mag lr and put it on a chassis and call it good.   I have seen how they shoot and the cost is right (though this is not my primary concern).  I just really want a stainless rifle as it will be used in inclimate weather. 

Online mountainman

• Frontiersman
« Reply #117 on: January 09, 2018, 04:02:56 PM »
Shoot, hope your on the mend! Flu is never fun 😞
You know how I like .338 caliber. I would opt for a semi-custom on a stainless Rem action in the Edge.  Does what the 300 win will do, and much more with more authority. They can be light, they can be heavy. But they reach and hit hard👍
You pick barrel, chassis, trigger and your good to go.
That Sword is more important than the Shield!

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #118 on: January 09, 2018, 04:47:19 PM »
Shoot, hope your on the mend! Flu is never fun 😞
You know how I like .338 caliber. I would opt for a semi-custom on a stainless Rem action in the Edge.  Does what the 300 win will do, and much more with more authority. They can be light, they can be heavy. But they reach and hit hard👍
You pick barrel, chassis, trigger and your good to go.
The Edge is amazing - gets Lapua Improved velocity and well exceeds 338-378  speed with 10 grains less powder.  A 300 grain pushed by H1000  drives tacks and has elk authority past 1100 yards and easy to build - just an expanded 300 Rum.  But its a Big Boy. - not a plinker even with a big break.   

Online b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #119 on: January 09, 2018, 07:38:35 PM »
I'm a big fan of the 338 Edge, probably one of the best 338's out there and not only do they always shoot extremely well with very little load development but they are probably the best 338 build if you are trying to stay within a certain budget, but they're generally 200 fps under the 338 Lapua Imp. velocities, unless you are comparing a 338 Edge +P from Defensive Edge to a 338 Lap. Imp. then there is only around 100 fps difference but those 338 Edge +P's are definitely not your typical 338 Edge.  And in all fairness to the 338-378, you can't go by the velocities they get with Weatherby's factory built guns with those buggy whip 26 inch barrels because those things just don't do the big Weatherby justice.  A properly built 338-378 with a decent length barrel and contour is certainly no slouch.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by dilleytech
[Today at 04:04:01 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]