collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Long Range Heavy Bullet Rifle Help?  (Read 31861 times)

Offline yorketransport

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+12)
  • Frontiersman
  • Preferred pronouns: were/was
Re: Long Range Heavy Bullet Rifle Help?
« Reply #120 on: January 09, 2018, 09:31:05 PM »

No.....took a week off to be sicker than a dog!!   :bash: :bash:  Now on the mend and back to some research.  Pretty sure I am not going 100% custom at this point.  Now just need to put hands on rifles as I see them and see what feels good.  Wish they made the Savage in a stainless...I would buy the 300 win mag lr and put it on a chassis and call it good.   I have seen how they shoot and the cost is right (though this is not my primary concern).  I just really want a stainless rifle as it will be used in inclimate weather.

Why not buy a stainless Savage long action and just rebarrel it? Go pick up a pawn shop SS Savage in 30-06 for $4-500; swap out the trigger, bolt head and bolt handle; sell the factory parts (barrel, stock, bolt head); buy a prefit barrel from the maker or your choice for $450-600 for a top quality barrel.

I'd expect to put together a gun comparable to what you're looking at for about $1600 that I would expect to easily shoot under .5 MOA and likely closer to .3 MOA. I happen to like Savage actions, so custom actions don't offer me much unless I need something special. I'm focused more on function than form most of the time and I'm just not convinced that it's necessary to spend over $2500 to have an accurate 300 Win Mag.

Offline jmscon

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
  • RMEF BHA TRCP
« Reply #121 on: January 09, 2018, 10:43:28 PM »
Northland shooter supply has stainless Remington 700 actions (.532 bolt face) for $425 and stainless hand lapped, match grade, Criterion barrels (for those actions) up to 30” (and pick your contour) at $340 in .300 wm, another $150-200 for a nut, nut wrench, action vice, and some go/no-go gauges.

Just needs glass and a stock

http://northlandshooterssupply.com/match-grade-barrels/criterion-remington-remage/
« Last Edit: January 09, 2018, 10:55:07 PM by jmscon »
My interpretation of the rules are open to interpretation.
Once I thought I was wrong but I was mistaken.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #122 on: January 10, 2018, 07:19:48 AM »
Yep B23 you are right on that, I was ref stock barrel on 338-378. Mine matches my Lapua pushed hard even with 2” shorter barrel and without advantages of lapua brass.   

Offline Antlershed

• Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #123 on: January 10, 2018, 07:27:42 AM »
Northland shooter supply has stainless Remington 700 actions (.532 bolt face) for $425 and stainless hand lapped, match grade, Criterion barrels (for those actions) up to 30” (and pick your contour) at $340 in .300 wm, another $150-200 for a nut, nut wrench, action vice, and some go/no-go gauges.

Just needs glass and a stock

http://northlandshooterssupply.com/match-grade-barrels/criterion-remington-remage/
You can get the Rem 700 stainless actions with the Ultra Mag boot face for $368 from Buds.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/mobile/product/2388/remington_action_700_la_ss_300_ult_mag

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #124 on: January 10, 2018, 04:38:18 PM »
Couple more questions.....

1.  Anyone have experience or opinions on Montana rifle company's rifles?  Specifically the X2
2.  For long range shooting is a sporter barrel sufficient?  I have always thought a heavy barrel (usually fluted) was a better option....but guess I really don't know being I am new to the long(er) range shooting.
3.  What are you thoughts with a 30 Nosler.....looks ballistically very similar to the 300 win mag with a little shorter case. 

thanks

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #125 on: January 10, 2018, 04:50:08 PM »

1.  Anyone have experience or opinions on Montana rifle company's rifles?  Specifically the X2
2.  For long range shooting is a sporter barrel sufficient?  I have always thought a heavy barrel (usually fluted) was a better option....but guess I really don't know being I am new to the long(er) range shooting.
3.  What are you thoughts with a 30 Nosler.....looks ballistically very similar to the 300 win mag with a little shorter case. 

thanks

I can't remember exactly who told me, but I've been told the Montana Rifle Co builds excellent rifles!
I think you would be better off with a more common cartridge, pick a different big magnum, maybe a 300 ultra, it has excellent ballistics, affordable cartridges!
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline Curly

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Legend
« Reply #126 on: January 10, 2018, 04:52:21 PM »

thanks

I have a MRC X2 in .243 Win.  Good rifle.  I like the action.  I like the Pre 64 style of action.  Probably better rifles out there though.  For your described use, I'd prefer to spend the money on a rifle with a 1/2" 100 yd group accuracy guarantee (which MRC does not have).

Others will have to answer 2 and 3.  (although, my opinion would be to stick with the win instead of nosler)
May I always be the kind of person my dog thinks I am.

><((((º>` ><((((º>. ><((((º>.¸><((((º>

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #127 on: January 10, 2018, 04:55:20 PM »

thanks

I can't remember exactly who told me, but I've been told the Montana Rifle Co builds excellent rifles!
I think you would be better off with a more common cartridge, pick a different big magnum, maybe a 300 ultra, it has excellent ballistics, affordable cartridges!

Interesting you say 300 ultra.....the two they had in stock today that I got to fondle were 30 nosler and 300 ultra.  Maybe I will have to look more into the ultra mag.   :tup:

Offline bearpaw

• Family, Friends, Outdoors
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Legend
  • "Rather Be Cougar Huntin"
    • http://www.facebook.com/DaleDenney
    • Bearpaw Outfitters
  • Groups: NRA, SCI, F4WM, NWTF, IOGA, MOGA, CCOC, BBB, RMEF, WSTA, WSB
« Reply #128 on: January 10, 2018, 04:58:19 PM »

thanks

I have a MRC X2 in .243 Win.  Good rifle.  I like the action.  I like the Pre 64 style of action.  Probably better rifles out there though.  For your described use, I'd prefer to spend the money on a rifle with a 1/2" 100 yd group accuracy guarantee (which MRC does not have).

Others will have to answer 2 and 3.  (although, my opinion would be to stick with the win instead of nosler)

Before I bought my last Weatherby I almost bought a Fierce, they have a 1/2" guarantee and are pretty nice feeling rifles. Sportsman Warehouse carries Fierce now! If you want the very best accuracy you might want to get a gun built! If you want to carry the gun all over the mountains you will have to consider the weight of a heavy barrel verses the accuracy you want/need?

thanks

Interesting you say 300 ultra.....the two they had in stock today that I got to fondle were 30 nosler and 300 ultra.  Maybe I will have to look more into the ultra mag.   :tup:

You can buy 300 utra ammo almost anywhere now, much easier to find, and I think better ballistics!  :tup:
Americans are systematically advocating, legislating, and voting away each others rights. Support all user groups & quit losing opportunity!

http://bearpawoutfitters.com Guided Hunts, Unguided, & Drop Camps in Idaho, Montana, Utah, and Wash. Hunts with tags available (no draw needed) for spring bear, fall bear, bison, cougar, elk, mule deer, turkey, whitetail, & wolf! http://trophymaps.com DIY Hunting Maps are also offered

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #129 on: January 10, 2018, 05:29:18 PM »
Buy freezerfull's gun and be done with it Dale. AR10 6.5 Creedmoor
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline CarbonHunter

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: RMEF, WSB
« Reply #130 on: January 16, 2018, 07:09:30 PM »

thanks

How’s your research on the 30 Nosler vs 300 RUM coming?  I’m thinking of getting a custom and am trying to decide on a caliber.  My research is leading me to believe I can get near 300 RUM results with less powder and recoil using the 30 Nosler.

Does anyone else have experience with these 2 calibers?

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #131 on: January 16, 2018, 07:22:27 PM »

thanks

How’s your research on the 30 Nosler vs 300 RUM coming?  I’m thinking of getting a custom and am trying to decide on a caliber.  My research is leading me to believe I can get near 300 RUM results with less powder and recoil using the 30 Nosler.

Does anyone else have experience with these 2 calibers?

The 30 nosler looks to be almost identical to the 300 win mag.  You just get a shorter fatter case.  The RUM  and 30 nosler are apples to oranges. 

Now the 300 ultra mag and weatherby mag are similar. 

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #132 on: January 16, 2018, 07:22:48 PM »
Moving up to some big magnums now - mandatory brake . 

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
« Reply #133 on: January 16, 2018, 07:46:33 PM »
I just picked up another custom. I have a 30-378 already so I wanted a smaller 30 that was lighter weight. I went over tons of data.

I went with a 30 nosler. Depending on bullet weight and powder choices. It will out run the 300 win and you can for sure get 300 rum performance out of it.
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Online jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
« Reply #134 on: January 16, 2018, 07:48:08 PM »
I just picked up another custom. I have a 30-378 already so I wanted a smaller 30 that was lighter weight. I went over tons of data.

I went with a 30 nosler. Depending on bullet weight and powder choices. It will out run the 300 win and you can for sure get 300 rum performance out of it.

Even with the heavy bullets?  210 grain

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10