collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Long Range Heavy Bullet Rifle Help?  (Read 31855 times)

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+126)
  • Legend
Re: Long Range Heavy Bullet Rifle Help?
« Reply #150 on: January 16, 2018, 09:22:33 PM »
 :chuckle: Being a long distance driver. I have found poor results with slapping and pulling at distance. If it gets you the desired results that your cup of tea. I just don't have that much luck slapping it in there :chuckle:
Owner: SPLIT DIAMOND TACTICAL
Firearms/Transfers/Parts/Optics
2011 HW Head Competition Winner

Offline Biggerhammer

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #151 on: January 16, 2018, 09:23:09 PM »
I just picked up another custom. I have a 30-378 already so I wanted a smaller 30 that was lighter weight. I went over tons of data.

I went with a 30 nosler. Depending on bullet weight and powder choices. It will out run the 300 win and you can for sure get 300 rum performance out of it.

Even with the heavy bullets?  210 grain

Not at all... When it comes to heavy for caliber bullets. It's about total case capacity. Just like big block motors. There's no replacement for displacement.

Like I said it depends on bullet choice and powder choice. Lets take retumbo on nosler data run a 200 with both guns. A 24" barrel 300 rum is listed max at 3070 and a 26" barrel 30 is listed at 3080. That's tick for tack note there is 2" of barrel difference but the point I am making is you CAN get 300 RUM results in the 30 nosler. Depending on bullet choice and powder choice.

Kind of like the old .300 WSM gives .300 Win Mag performance. Not! Own them both. Taken game with both, like them both. Same size hole in game with both. .300 WSM matching .300 Win Mag performance. In the same barrel configuration.  NEVER!

Does it matter for hunting? NO.. Run what you BRUNG! If I had to have two rifles for Northwest big game or for the planet, for that matter. It would be a .300 Win Mag and a .375 H&H. If I could sneak a third in, it would be a 7x57.
As someone more recoil sensitive than the rest of you, I think I'll stick with the 7MM Rem Mag.

Great chambering! Took my first buck with one and a handloaded 160gr Nosler Partitian. 32 years ago.👍 Even back then, I had to listen to all the good'ol boys snivel about magnums as they drug their anemic 30-06 and .270's around.

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
« Reply #152 on: January 16, 2018, 09:23:58 PM »
:chuckle: Being a long distance driver. I have found poor results with slapping and pulling at distance. If it gets you the desired results that your cup of tea. I just don't have that much luck slapping it in there :chuckle:

A little more trigger time and you'll figure it out.👍

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #153 on: January 16, 2018, 09:27:16 PM »
Of course, this is the crazy guy that has zapped everything from blackbuck to elk the last 2 years with his 6.5 stw who would have thought a 6.5 could kill all those animals with that tiny bullet :chuckle:

I just went through the whole list and did a lot of thinking. I have a monster 30 and wanted a smaller light weight gun around 9lbs with a 26" barrel that would run a 200eldx as a target bullet at 3k or better. I looked at the powders that I have and what I like to run and compared ballistics and I settled on the 30 nosler.

Sounds like the nosler was a great choice.  Now why not step down on recoil to the 28 Nosler, or maybe extend energy downrange with the 33 nosler ?  How did you decide on the 30 ?

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
« Reply #154 on: January 16, 2018, 09:28:08 PM »
Of course, this is the crazy guy that has zapped everything from blackbuck to elk the last 2 years with his 6.5 stw who would have thought a 6.5 could kill all those animals with that tiny bullet :chuckle:

I just went through the whole list and did a lot of thinking. I have a monster 30 and wanted a smaller light weight gun around 9lbs with a 26" barrel that would run a 200eldx as a target bullet at 3k or better. I looked at the powders that I have and what I like to run and compared ballistics and I settled on the 30 nosler.

Sounds like the nosler was a great choice.  Now why not step down on recoil to the 28 Nosler, or maybe extend energy downrange with the 33 nosler ?  How did you decide on the 30 ?

Now theirs a brain twister!!!

Before I get labeled "Caliber racist" by the far left, soft gun owner types here. I like them all!

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #155 on: January 16, 2018, 09:30:41 PM »
I can only hope :chuckle:

I slapped a scope on the 30 last night. I am hoping to find some time next week to start burning some power and I will try to give some feedback and what I am seeing. I scored some crazy deals on factory 30 loadings with the 180 accubonds. So I need to burn some of them up and shove some 200's in them necks.

Super easy!!!!! Wanted a 30 I could run my can on as well and I have a 7STW and a 340wby. Pretty easy choice really :chuckle:

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #156 on: January 16, 2018, 09:39:08 PM »
Gotcha! Looks like you have the bases covered.   I have a sentimental 340 Bee also wondering what to make it into....   Have a custom Lapua so don't need a duplicate.

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
« Reply #157 on: January 16, 2018, 09:42:03 PM »
I can only hope :chuckle:

I slapped a scope on the 30 last night. I am hoping to find some time next week to start burning some power and I will try to give some feedback and what I am seeing. I scored some crazy deals on factory 30 loadings with the 180 accubonds. So I need to burn some of them up and shove some 200's in them necks.

Super easy!!!!! Wanted a 30 I could run my can on as well and I have a 7STW and a 340wby. Pretty easy choice really :chuckle:

I could understand the attraction to a current chambering and the latestest powders compared to the other two, 7 STW & .340 Weatherby. I really enjoyed the .340 Weatherby, until I had a .338 Ultra built.

Offline JimmyHoffa

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Explorer
« Reply #158 on: January 16, 2018, 09:42:23 PM »
I just picked up another custom. I have a 30-378 already so I wanted a smaller 30 that was lighter weight. I went over tons of data.

I went with a 30 nosler. Depending on bullet weight and powder choices. It will out run the 300 win and you can for sure get 300 rum performance out of it.

Even with the heavy bullets?  210 grain

Not at all... When it comes to heavy for caliber bullets. It's about total case capacity. Just like big block motors. There's no replacement for displacement.

Like I said it depends on bullet choice and powder choice. Lets take retumbo on nosler data run a 200 with both guns. A 24" barrel 300 rum is listed max at 3070 and a 26" barrel 30 is listed at 3080. That's tick for tack note there is 2" of barrel difference but the point I am making is you CAN get 300 RUM results in the 30 nosler. Depending on bullet choice and powder choice.
Many instances, not a lot of difference can be seen in short for cartridge barrels that are only a couple inches between each other.  It is about pressure, and you can do mixes and matches on the shorter side and get comparable results.  Once you start increasing barrel length, the larger capacity cases can maintain the higher pressure for longer and start to break away from the smaller cases.

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #159 on: January 16, 2018, 10:46:22 PM »
Yes of course. Per my build and my barrel length that I set out for. A rum with extra powder to burn was not necessary to achieve my goals. When I can run right at what a rum with my same powder and bullet would be doing. The longer pipes are great for them to use all that powder and pressure. I have a 30 on my 30-378 lol

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #160 on: April 23, 2018, 12:25:45 PM »
Well....decided to try the Christiansen Arms Ridgeline in 300 Win Mag.....26" tube 1:10 twist.  Now to start working a load.  Gonna try the heavies first and see how they shoot 190-210 grain.  Reportst to follow. 

:tup: :tup:

Offline carpsniperg2

• Site Sponsor
  • Global Moderator
  • Legend
« Reply #161 on: April 23, 2018, 12:33:36 PM »
Sweet a friend ones one with 180 accubonds with great results. If you have to go down to 180 let me know and I can get some details for ya.

Offline BULLBLASTER

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #162 on: April 23, 2018, 12:56:21 PM »
Well....decided to try the Christiansen Arms Ridgeline in 300 Win Mag.....26" tube 1:10 twist.  Now to start working a load.  Gonna try the heavies first and see how they shoot 190-210 grain.  Reportst to follow. 

:tup: :tup:
Need to get you some of these and a big ol jug of h1000!  :tup:

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #163 on: April 23, 2018, 03:52:23 PM »
:yeah:
My 300wm loves the 210's and h1000
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #164 on: April 23, 2018, 05:30:23 PM »
I would also check out the eld-x. Either 200’s or 212’s. They have been easier for me to find a load for than the bergers and perform very similar. Definitely H1000 though

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 11:47:13 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]