collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New pistol advice  (Read 16388 times)

Offline Jpmiller

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
New pistol advice
« on: January 02, 2018, 06:45:52 AM »
So I finally am looking into purchasing a semi auto pistol. Mostly for concealed carry. I'm not super into reloading but my old man has everything for it so I do it. He is set up for .32, 9mm, and .380 so I'd like one of those calibers but I am not set on it (I'll buy a setup for a new caliber if it makes sense).

I've owned several wheel guns but know next to nothing about semi autos. Is there a good gun shop in the greater puget sound area with knowledgeable staff who can answer questions? I dont really have any preferrence and have an open mind but want to make an informed decision, but I also don't want to be sold something by the someone with no clue what they're talking about. Thanks!

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
Re: New pistol advice
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2018, 06:56:26 AM »
357 Sig Sauer cartridge is a very nice caliber. I have the 250 Compact, holds 13+1. Came with Sig Lites (?) ( Night Sights )

You tube iit..

Glock makes a model also.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2018, 07:00:32 AM »
I really like the S&W Shield. I usually try to get something a little more unique, but there is a reason the Shield is so popular. They are VERY dependable, shoot very well, feel great in your hand, and conceal like a champ. They come in 9mm, 40, and 45. I like the 9mm with 8+1 capacity. Pick up an Alien Gear Shape Shift holster and you will be set for any situation.
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline CAMPMEAT

• CAMPMEAT
  • Explorer
  • I love my gun rights in Arizona..
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2018, 07:04:22 AM »
I really like the S&W Shield. I usually try to get something a little more unique, but there is a reason the Shield is so popular. They are VERY dependable, shoot very well, feel great in your hand, and conceal like a champ. They come in 9mm, 40, and 45. I like the 9mm with 8+1 capacity. Pick up an Alien Gear Shape Shift holster and you will be set for any situation.

I've never owned one, but have fondled them.

Idea, go to the local gun store/range and rent couple different models and calibers.
I couldn't care less about what anybody says..............

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2018, 07:10:33 AM »
Yea but no fondling allowed at the range!! :chuckle:
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline biggfish

• Longhunter
  • Groups: NRA
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2018, 07:36:01 AM »
Don't know where you're located, but I like WGS guns in Lakewood. Staff seems to know what they are doing. Surplus ammo and arms in Tacoma has a good staff but they seem a bit pricey to me.

Sent from my LG-K425 using Tapatalk

Now then, get your equipment—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.  Gen. 27:3

Offline wadu1

• Grumpy
  • Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+30)
  • Old Salt
  • RMEF, DU, NRA, PFE, NWTF
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2018, 07:53:21 AM »
I looked at the S&W Shield and the Ruger LC9S both in 9mm. I ended up with the LC9s just because the trigger felt better too me. Purchased an Uncle Mike's LE belt holster that can be arranged R/L or cross draw. Both are good CC firearms get the one that feels good or even better try them out.  :twocents:
"a fronte praecipitium a tergo lupi"

Offline Scheindogg

• Longhunter
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2018, 08:35:52 AM »
I have a Shield 9mm and love it, it’s really nice!

If you decide to go the .380 route I would 100% go for the Glock 42. I wasn’t a fan of Glock until I shot the 42 and realized how AMAZING it handles and shoots!

I also agree with wadu1, if you can try them out first. Go to the range and shoot a half box of your top 2 or 3 and see which gun feels best for YOU.
 8)
I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me -Phillipians 4:13

Offline Fungunnin

• Hunter
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2018, 08:43:47 AM »
If you are a wheel gun fan look at Kahr. The PM 9 is a small slim gun and the trigger pull isvery similar to a Smith double action trigger. They also make a steel framed version. The K9 and KM9

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Offline b23

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2018, 09:10:15 AM »
So I finally am looking into purchasing a semi auto pistol. Mostly for concealed carry. I'm not super into reloading but my old man has everything for it so I do it. He is set up for .32, 9mm, and .380 so I'd like one of those calibers but I am not set on it (I'll buy a setup for a new caliber if it makes sense).

I've owned several wheel guns but know next to nothing about semi autos. Is there a good gun shop in the greater puget sound area with knowledgeable staff who can answer questions? I dont really have any preferrence and have an open mind but want to make an informed decision, but I also don't want to be sold something by the someone with no clue what they're talking about. Thanks!

Do you have somewhat of a price range you'd like to stay within?  Knowing your price range will help make better suggestions.

The M&P Shield is a great choice for a CCW.  I have the M&P Shield Performance Center version in 9mm and like it very well.  I think the trigger in the Shield PC version is the best of any in its class.  The Walther PPS M2 and Glock 43 are both nice CCW but I thought the trigger in the Shield PC was a fair bit better.

One thing is for certain, there is no shortage of options out there to choose from.

Offline Jpmiller

• Frontiersman
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2018, 09:29:47 AM »
Thanks for the input guys. I'm less concerned with price and more with getting something I want that will last. I've so far been able to avoid "collecting" guns so I want whatever I buy to be my CC for a long time.

There was a range up in Redmond or bellevue I went to a few times that had gun rentals I kind of forgot that was an option. Anyone know of any that are farther south? I'm I'm Wilkeson and haven't shot at a range in maybe fifteen years.

Offline Biggerhammer

• Old Salt
  • Powder, primer, bullet JUNKIE.
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2018, 10:17:55 AM »
9mm..

Good luck! Nine out of ten counter guys at gun shops are complete 🤡 CLOWN'S🤡.

I really enjoy milling around a gun shop where I can hear Mr. Slick behind the counter trying to sell a guy whatever handgun has the largest profit margin at the given moment. 

Offline Eric M

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2018, 10:42:46 AM »
:yeah:
The Ruger lcr. 38 hammerless is a wheel gun but a pretty nice ccw. I don't think you can go wrong with lc9 or the m and p shield. The Smith and Wesson bg's are okay too and have a laser on them. 

Offline mossy8352

• Longhunter
  • Ready To Go
    • http://www.facebook.com/arthur.mccahan
    • Mikes Digital Solutions
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2018, 10:49:37 AM »
My friend spent a lot of time shooting various hand guns here.
https://themarksman.store/
Then shopped around for the best deal. Best way to do it really!!

Offline follow maggie

• Frontiersman
  • Just me, just being a nomad
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2018, 11:10:04 AM »
The best thing is to go to a range where you can rent and try out several pieces. That being said, I carry a Ruger LC9 with the integrated laserlite(?) and I love it. It's pretty accurate, light & comfortable to carry concealed. The only thing I would do different is a green laser instead of red.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by duckmen1
[Today at 06:52:09 AM]