collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Kitsap county small game/firearms restricted areas  (Read 3842 times)

Offline CJ5K

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Pilgrim
Kitsap county small game/firearms restricted areas
« on: February 11, 2018, 05:09:19 AM »
Hey everyone, I've been lurking for a long time, but this is my first post.

I'm having a hard time figuring out some of the firearms restrictions for kitsap county, in the context of small game hunting. I'm usually long winded, but I'll try to keep things brief. I did use the search, and tried to read through just about every post that's mentioned kitsap county, but I'm still in need of a little direction.

1 - when the regs are describing the limits of the firearms restricted areas, they say one of them goes from newberry hill and sea beck highway north to the big beef creek bridge. I assume that means to the latitude of the big beef creek bridge, and not that the restricted area is triangular, with the roads forming one side of it, and the bridge forming the opposite corner. Can someone confirm?

2 can't post a link right now, but the kitsap county code made it sound like the various "illegal to shoot here" regulations (500 yards from a shoreline, property greater than 5 acres, etc) don't apply if you're legally hunting. So, if a raccoon wonders into my yard in Poulsbo, and I have the appropriate license, can I shoot it with a .22, assuming I can do it safely?

3 i read another post on here where someone was talking about bear hunting possibilities in the north end of the peninsula, around Kingston and suquamish (I'll post a link in the comments) and mentioned that it was a firearms restricted area. looking through the regs, I can't see how it would be, since it's not on brain dead island, and its well north of the Big Beef Creek bridge (as far as I can tell, I'm assuming is the bridge over big beef creek out by seabeck). If someone could point out what I'm missing that would be much appreciated.

Bonus questions:

B1 - looking at the wildlife areas on WDFW, some of them clearly list hunting under approved activities. Others don't mention hunting at all, or just completely lack a list of approved activities all together. Is there an easy way to discern if they are open for hunting (mainly looking at one of the Big Beef Creek areas, or Morgan's Marsh)

B2 - if anyone knows of a place in the north end of Kitsap county where I could shoot rabbits, squirrels, or coyotes with a rifle, I'd be appreciative of that info. I'm not looking for a "go to these gps coordinates, sit on the big stump and face north, you'll see them at around 845" so much as "yea bro, if you go up to this tree farm, you'll be good to go."

Thanks in advance,
CJ5K out

Offline CJ5K

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Pilgrim
Re: Kitsap county small game/firearms restricted areas
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2018, 05:19:43 AM »

Found the original thread that mentioned the north end being firearms restricted. Here's the individual post, along with a link to the read for context.

Great! Thanks for the very productive advice fishngamereaper.  I'm glad to hear the north end of the peninsula is good, because I live in Suquamish, just between Poulsbo and Bainbridge Island.  There is a plot of state land up there, and the only signage is a little sign at the gate that says public trail.  Its just an old logging road.  If I get off the road and look in the timber I suspect there may be bear up there.
.357 or 12 gauge?  Its firearms restricted... or should I break in my new (to me) CVA .50 muzzle loader?  Choices choices... 
Gosh, it really feels good to know there is something big here on the peninsula that I can get out and hunt.  Thanks again!
Any other ideas are helpful...
I don't know if I know how to identify bear scat in spring and again in summer.  Or if its even worth scouting in spring, will they be in the same place come august 1st?

http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php/topic,123391.0.html

Thanks guys

Offline fishngamereaper

• Trade Count: (+6)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 06:11:13 AM »
A lot has changed since 2013.  Go to kitsap Gov website and look at the county map for shooting/no shooting zones. They literally have it by parcel. The firearm restrictions re the hwy and big beef are from WDFW for hunting. Also a lot of the north end timber land is now posted no hunting. Your best bet is to drive down to dewatto and find a red or blue gated road and go from there.

Offline CJ5K

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2018, 07:20:09 AM »
A lot has changed since 2013.  Go to kitsap Gov website and look at the county map for shooting/no shooting zones. They literally have it by parcel. The firearm restrictions re the hwy and big beef are from WDFW for hunting. Also a lot of the north end timber land is now posted no hunting. Your best bet is to drive down to dewatto and find a red or blue gated road and go from there.

Fishngamereaper, I apreciate the quick reply!

Dewatto/tahuya was my previous go to spot, I was hoping I could find something a little closer.

In reagards to the WDFW firearms restriction, I understand that's it's own thing, separate from the county, I'm just looking for clarification that I'm interpreting its borders correctly.

In regards to the no shooting map, I found it and I definitely agree, i clearly can not shoot "just for fun" in a lot of areas. But, if I look at the actual county code, it looks like all of those restrictions (except where the area is designated by petition) would not apply under Kitsap County Code 10.25.030 subsection 4
"(4)    For lawful hunting in accordance with state and federal hunting laws, or responding to wildlife threatening human safety or causing property damage as provided by state law."

I'll probably just take your advise and look in more friendly counties.

The map: https://spf.kitsapgov.com/dcd/CAO_PEP_Images/Areas_of_Prohibited_Shooting.png

Kitsap County Code Chapter 10.25 firearms discharge: http://www.codepublishing.com/WA/KitsapCounty/#!/Kitsap10/Kitsap1025.html#10.25

Offline MADMAX

• Trade Count: (+15)
  • Old Salt
  • I like big bucks and I can not lie
« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2018, 07:38:08 AM »
Buddy, go across the bridge to Jeff county, start walking gates
DO NOT leave anything of value in your truck you cant live without
Dewatto is usually a bust unless you count dogwalkers and joggers, MT bikes etc
I Ain't Captain Walker.
I'm The Guy Who Carries Mr. Dead In His Pocket

What would life be without the thrill of the hunt ?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by jjhunter
[Yesterday at 09:12:44 PM]