collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Pig Feeder... Ideas?  (Read 3637 times)

Offline Machias

• Trapper
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Explorer
Re: Pig Feeder... Ideas?
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2018, 10:04:14 AM »
I made my own feeder for hunting feral hogs in Virginia.  I took a 6 inch PVC pipe, drilled holes all along the sides are various intervals.  Capped the one end and drilled a hole in the capped end.  Ran a piece of 1/8" cable through and attached that to a anchor stake.  Drove that into the ground.  Put a screw on lid on the other end and then filled with corn.  My PVC pipe was 10 feet long.  They roll the pipe around and little bits of corn fall out as they root and roll it around.  Takes them much longer to clean up the corn.  One thing I did learn about the hogs, at least in Virginia, they were almost impossible to pattern.  Too many other food sources there.  They were not predictable at all.  Oh and put a couple of rocks inside the PVC pipe.  They hear them rolling around and think there is still corn in there even when it's empty.
« Last Edit: January 19, 2018, 10:16:19 AM by Machias »
Fred Moyer

When it's Grim, be the GRIM REAPER!

Offline Boss .300 winmag

• FLY NAVAL AVIATION
  • Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • How do you measure trying, you do, or you don’t.
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2018, 10:39:07 AM »
I made my own feeder for hunting feral hogs in Virginia.  I took a 6 inch PVC pipe, drilled holes all along the sides are various intervals.  Capped the one end and drilled a hole in the capped end.  Ran a piece of 1/8" cable through and attached that to a anchor stake.  Drove that into the ground.  Put a screw on lid on the other end and then filled with corn.  My PVC pipe was 10 feet long.  They roll the pipe around and little bits of corn fall out as they root and roll it around.  Takes them much longer to clean up the corn.  One thing I did learn about the hogs, at least in Virginia, they were almost impossible to pattern.  Too many other food sources there.  They were not predictable at all.  Oh and put a couple of rocks inside the PVC pipe.  They hear them rolling around and think there is still corn in there even when it's empty.

Love the rock idea.  :tup:
"Just because I like granola, and I have stretched my arms around a few trees, doesn't mean I'm a tree hugger!
Hi I'm 8156, our leader is Bearpaw.
YOU CANNOT REASON WITH A TIGER WHEN YOUR HEAD IS IN ITS MOUTH! Winston Churchill

Keep Calm And Duc/Ski Doo On!

Offline Vo2max

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
  • Location: Mentally: in the woods. Physically: dreaming of the woods
« Reply #17 on: January 22, 2018, 03:30:46 PM »

This idea is GENIUS! Thank you for sharing. I was going to buy a feeder but this way I'm saving money and making a much more effective draw for the pigs. Thanks again!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

1x scopes vs open sights by nwhunter
[Today at 03:54:47 AM]

10th Annual - 2024 YOUTH TURKEY HUNT CONTEST (enter by Mar 14) by bearpaw
[Yesterday at 11:27:12 PM]

World Record Archery Blacktail by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:09:06 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington bull by huntnnw
[Yesterday at 10:06:34 PM]

Fishing with kids in Wenatchee by HardCorpsHuntr
[Yesterday at 10:03:34 PM]