collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: With all this custom rifle talk....Range Report Updated 06-16-18  (Read 13801 times)

Offline 7mmfan

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Old Salt
    • https://www.facebook.com/rory.oconnor.9480
Re: With all this custom rifle talk....Range Report Updated
« Reply #90 on: April 23, 2018, 09:07:54 AM »
just name it BMF. Self explanatory.
I hunt, therefore I am.... I fish, therefore I lie.

Offline h20hunter

• Trade Count: (+16)
  • Legend
« Reply #91 on: April 23, 2018, 09:10:31 AM »
Lets see if this works.......cold clean bore typically is just under a qtr inch impact difference compared to shooting a fouled pipe. I still kept it two shots clean and fully cool....3 shots was my max consecutive string. Here is my 15 shot group so far.

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
« Reply #92 on: April 23, 2018, 09:11:53 AM »
Pic should be rotated 90 degrees clockwise.

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #93 on: April 23, 2018, 09:27:26 AM »
Not yet.....so far I just say "the seven".
You can’t put too much thought into naming things like rifles.  :chuckle: just go about life and someone will say something that just sticks with it.

That’s how one of mine got named the MBG “manbungun”  :chuckle: and another “PD” but I can’t elaborate on that one without getting banned.

Looks like a sweet set up you have there!  :tup:
you're welcome 8)
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #94 on: April 23, 2018, 10:03:53 AM »
Time to stretch its legs? Looks good! :tup:

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
« Reply #95 on: April 23, 2018, 10:14:52 AM »
Yup. I need to the barrell up to speed then should be able to dope it pretty easily.  Time to get a few buddies together for a cold bore challenge fun.

Offline 92xj

• Trade Count: (+26)
  • Frontiersman
  • Kill 'em
« Reply #96 on: April 23, 2018, 10:37:41 AM »
Time to stretch its legs? Looks good! :tup:

What's that, 2...300 yards?

I'm kidding h2o, good shooting!
"If you have to be crazy to hunt ducks, I do not wish to be sane."

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
« Reply #97 on: April 23, 2018, 10:44:30 AM »
 :tup:

I'm taking it slow.  I did poke the 6 inch plate at 220. Knocked it up and back so hard that it swung it high enough to life the plate and chain off its hooks. Hits hard.

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
Re: With all this custom rifle talk....Range Report Updated 06-16-18
« Reply #98 on: June 16, 2018, 04:49:53 PM »
Before I get going on this update first things first. Thank you to @cougforester for hosting myself and the bro in law at the Nisqually Gun Range. Very cool place and if I had one complaint it was those pesky deer that kept wandering around creating the need for a cease fire. Terrible. So anyway, today was the first day I was able to stretch my 7 out past the steel plates I normally plink at during my visits to the home range. I love my range but 220 yards just isn't long enough. Today we were able to shoot anywhere from 100 out to the known distance of 550 and the guestimate distance of about 575 or 580. The dirt berm behind the known distance target quickly became the primary interest. We began with my first attempt at the cold bore shot at 450. I had previously zeroed the gun on the plates at 220 so I have a basic dope sheet printed out. We got settled in and made some scope adjustments and loaded round number one. Took aim at the smaller plate target at 450, touched it off, rang the bell. Very nice. Known plate target at 500 that you can just see the top few inches of plate. It, the plate stand, had taken a long beating and was sagging pretty bad. I figured if I aimed at what I could see the round would drop down and hit just below my line of sight. Made the scope adjustment, let her fly, rang the bell. Very nice. Now for the long range seasoned vets out there I imagine you may yawn a bit. I understand. For me, this was exciting. This is my second ever trip to a range taking shots this long. I've never taken a shot much past 100 on game so this is all very new to me. We banged the known targets at 450, 500, and a smaller plate at 510 for a bit then had to run the deer off. While downrange we put up some paper at 550 and a few other spots and headed back to the line. Got all settled in, made some adjustments, and got my first round downrange at 550. It was a hit but low and right....maybe 8 inches off. The target was black with white lines and I was having a hard time seeing my reticle on paper. Coug says well just aim at that clay pigeon to the left. Of course I should. We figure the dirt was about 25 yards past the known distance of 550. I did have a rangefinder in the truck but never crossed my mind to get it. Settled in, no more pigeon. Now I'm excited. Bro in law had his 6.5, man bun, and handloads and was taking shots as well. There was one remaining intact pigeon. He was right on it, an inch or two off  here, inch or two off there. I load a round, no more pigeon. Now I'm probably borderline irritating those around me with my grinning. We than began picking off pieces of pigeons. Now I did not hit every chip I was aiming at but I was well over 50% impact on the smaller pieces we were picking off. I did a little tracking test...take a shot at distance, bring the scope back to 200 zero, whack the plate, run it back up to 575 (7moa up from zero), let er rip. Repeatability was dead on shot after shot. Repeatability of the gun, dead on. Repeatability of my handloads, dead on. Coug just kept shaking his head, saying man that is nuts. Yep, dead on nuts. He took a poke, first shot for him behind the gun. Found a chip of pigeon, held, fired, no more pigeon. Gun is now broken in as I've go just over 100 rounds down the pipe. @rbros Travis said break it in, get it done right the first 20 or 25 rounds, then run it and get the barrel up to speed. Well Travis, done and done. I was happy when I got the gun, I was happy when I began getting used to the gun. Now, not only am I happy as ever but I am confident that I am heading in the right direction. I'm getting good data for putting together a true dope chart for the gun and if all goes well I'm told we may get to go again next month. I hope so as I'll be bringing a case of clays to put on the berm and won't leave my rangefinder in the truck. Great trip, well worth the drive, Coug I know I said it a few time but thank you again for the offer. Next time we gotta get my bum knee @bknilvr00 down there to see what he and his man bun sporting 6.5 and do. I'll bring the clays.

Offline h20hunter

• Legend
« Reply #99 on: June 06, 2019, 09:27:03 AM »
Well good morning. Only update is the gun is a tack driver and I love watching a few folks get behind it cold and whack a target quite a ways off.

My question us this.....can I get a recommendation or two on a brand or type of buttstock accy. I'd like just a touch of cheek padding and ideally a dope card window.

@rbros Travis......only a few months from now we are gonna have a dead moose and a bloodied rifle.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2019, 09:33:33 AM by h20hunter »

Online Karl Blanchard

• Trade Count: (+22)
  • Explorer
  • Jonathan_S hunting apparel prostaff
  • Groups: Sitka Gear Fan Boy for LIFE
« Reply #100 on: June 06, 2019, 09:56:18 AM »
I've got a tactical sharpshooter on my 6mm. I was the same. I needed just a touch of height.
It is foolish and wrong to mourn these men.  Rather, we should thank god that such men lived.  -General George S. Patton

Aaron's Profile:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;u=2875
Aaron's Posts:  http://hunting-washington.com/smf/index.php?action=profile;area=showposts;u=2875
Aaron's Facebook:  https://www.facebook.com/aaron.blanchard.94

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10