collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New F 150 Diesels  (Read 14192 times)

Offline 2MANY

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
Re: New F 150 Diesels
« Reply #60 on: November 01, 2020, 12:16:44 PM »
Towing with an F-150??!!??
Perhaps a small trailer and a lawn mower.
These threads crack me up.

Offline Stein

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
« Reply #61 on: November 01, 2020, 01:29:50 PM »
Yeah, 1/2 ton is now 13,200 pounds tow capacity for the 3.5 vs 11,500 for the diesel, same as the 5.0.  Payload capacity is smaller for the diesel than the 3.5, 5.0 or 2.7!  Like 1,200 pounds less payload than the 3.5 or 5.0 which is insane. 

Less torque, less towing, less payload...
Ford is notorious for putting crappy class iii hitches on their half ton trucks that are only rated to 5k lbs. I might have a pic of the ratings sticker on the hitch of the 2018 ecoboost I just got rid of. After towing with an ecoboost, no way would I want anywhere near 13k lbs behind it. So a 2k lb difference in towing capacity is not a deal breaker with the extra 10 mpg the diesel gets. Anyone really towing 13k needs to be stepping up to a 3/4 ton. 1/2 ton diesel definitely has its place.

Where is it's place?  I agree that if I was towing near max I would step up, I just don't see what conditions would exist where the 1/2 ton diesel is the logical choice.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Trade Count: (+27)
  • Legend
  • Groups: jackelope
« Reply #62 on: November 01, 2020, 06:28:48 PM »
-0- experience towing with an ecoboost.

3-4 times a year I make a trip to Newberg, OR from Duvall to pick up animal feed for a group of 4-H kids. I rent a pickup because at this point in time I don’t own one. I drove a 2020 F150 with the 3.5 EB.  On the way down empty I got 24.6 mpg. On the way back I got 22.4 mpg with 1440 pounds of feed in the bed.
Last time I went was last Saturday. I rented a hemi Ram 1500. Got 21.5 on the way down and 19.9 on the way back. Still impressive.

I see a lot of trucks every day. We see 40-50 appointments a day and a solid portion of those are F150’s. I have seen 3 diesels in the last year that I can think of offhand. If you ask me, they’ve been a flop. The oil change on them alone is super expensive. Fuel filters every 15k and tire rotations make me have zero interest in owning one.
:fire.:

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

My posts, opinions and statements do not represent those of this forum

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #63 on: November 01, 2020, 06:29:45 PM »
Yeah, 1/2 ton is now 13,200 pounds tow capacity for the 3.5 vs 11,500 for the diesel, same as the 5.0.  Payload capacity is smaller for the diesel than the 3.5, 5.0 or 2.7!  Like 1,200 pounds less payload than the 3.5 or 5.0 which is insane. 

Ford is notorious for putting crappy class iii hitches on their half ton trucks that are only rated to 5k lbs. I might have a pic of the ratings sticker on the hitch of the 2018 ecoboost I just got rid of. After towing with an ecoboost, no way would I want anywhere near 13k lbs behind it. So a 2k lb difference in towing capacity is not a deal breaker with the extra 10 mpg the diesel gets. Anyone really towing 13k needs to be stepping up to a 3/4 ton. 1/2 ton diesel definitely has its place.

Where?

" In today's instant gratification society, more and more pressure revolves around success and the measurement of one's prowess as a hunter by inches on a score chart or field photos produced on social media. Don't fall into the trap. Hunting is-and always will be- about the hunt, the adventure, the views, and time spent with close friends and family. " Ryan Hatfield

Offline Pnwrider

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
New F 150 Diesels
« Reply #64 on: November 01, 2020, 08:55:19 PM »

Where is it's place?  I agree that if I was towing near max I would step up, I just don't see what conditions would exist where the 1/2 ton diesel is the logical choice.
I am probably a good example. People that need a truck but also use it as their primary commuter. In a half ton I feel like I’m giving up enough in towing that I would prefer better fuel economy (to a point). Yes, they require more maintenance, def, fuel filters, etc, but I have always done way better on resale with my diesels. Admittedly, I don’t keep cars long enough to break even on fuel economy savings, but the resale alone is worth it to me.

Although, I must admit, my last F150 was just about free thanks to the great job by Ford engineers. I still can’t believe they designed a fuel system that wouldn’t allow the truck to run on a hill with a 1/4 tank of fuel.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2020, 11:06:44 PM by Pnwrider »

Offline Pnwrider

• Longhunter
« Reply #65 on: November 01, 2020, 09:17:31 PM »
-0- experience towing with an ecoboost.

3-4 times a year I make a trip to Newberg, OR from Duvall to pick up animal feed for a group of 4-H kids. I rent a pickup because at this point in time I don’t own one. I drove a 2020 F150 with the 3.5 EB.  On the way down empty I got 24.6 mpg. On the way back I got 22.4 mpg with 1440 pounds of feed in the bed.
Last time I went was last Saturday. I rented a hemi Ram 1500. Got 21.5 on the way down and 19.9 on the way back. Still impressive.

Set the cruise at 55? I’ve never seen better than 23 mpg and that was when I got stuck behind a bunch of RVs on the way to hunt camp last year.

Offline jackelope

• Administrator
  • Legend
« Reply #66 on: November 01, 2020, 10:12:34 PM »
I run 3-5mph over the speed limit everywhere. So mostly 63 ish and 73 ish down I-5.

Offline Jingles

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #67 on: November 02, 2020, 06:26:13 AM »
With the modifications and programmer I'm using my F250 with a 6.7 has jumped from 17 MPG to 23 MPG local driving getting ready to make another highway trip and expect (hope for) even better increased mileage.
HMC/USN/RET
1969 -1990
The comments of this poster do not reflect the opinions of HUNTWA Administrators or Moderators unless they so state.

The duty of a Patriot is to protect his country from it's government

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #68 on: November 02, 2020, 07:13:14 AM »
It is beyond me why ANYONE would buy a modern diesel with all the emissions crap on them Fleets are moving back to gas because of reliability. Don't get me wrong Id love to get my hands on one of these at about 100k miles and put a delete kit on it for a personal rig, but no chance I would buy one new.
In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Old Salt
« Reply #69 on: November 02, 2020, 07:28:26 AM »
It is beyond me why ANYONE would buy a modern diesel with all the emissions crap on them Fleets are moving back to gas because of reliability. Don't get me wrong Id love to get my hands on one of these at about 100k miles and put a delete kit on it for a personal rig, but no chance I would buy one new.

I would sell any small diesel at the 100k mark.  Repair costs make out of warrany use on these lil guys an unacceptable risk.

Offline Special T

• Truth the new Hate Speech.
  • Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+13)
  • Legend
  • Make it Rain!
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
    • Silver Arrow Bowmen
« Reply #70 on: November 02, 2020, 11:39:45 PM »

I would sell any small diesel at the 100k mark.  Repair costs make out of warrany use on these lil guys an unacceptable risk.
If that is the case then i cant imagine why anyone would/should buy one!

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

In archery we have something like the way of the superior man. When the archer misses the center of the target, he turns round and seeks for the cause of his failure in himself. 

Confucius

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:35:54 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw