collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New Sponsor, Elk Hunt Consulting  (Read 15497 times)

Offline Indian Summer

• Business Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Tracker
New Sponsor, Elk Hunt Consulting
« on: January 11, 2018, 05:02:44 PM »
For a couple years now a good friend from Washington has been pointing elk hunters, or wannabe elk hunters, from this forum in my direction. So after some consideration and poking around on here I’ve decided to shell out a few bucks and become a sponsor. Dale from Bearpaw Outfitters and I are old aquaintences from crossing paths at outdoor shows in the past.

A little about myself: Originally from Pa, home of giant bulls that you’ll never draw a tag to hunt, I’ve been chasing elk in western Montana for over 30 years. I was a licensed outfitter there and owned Indian Summer Outfitters for 13 years. I’ve also done some guiding in Wyoming as well as Washington’s west side around Naselle and Rosburg. So I know a place or two to kill elk. I sold my outfit in 2012 to a good friend from Montana who worked for me the entire time I owned the business. That’s when the fun began!

I punched my elk tag every year up there and then I had the time to start doing the same down in Wyoming. I’ve helped a lot of people do the same along the way as well. So one day as I debated on where I would hunt the following year it dawned on me that I can’t hunt all of my honey holes.... but I could probably find some interest from others who might want to. With the rising cost of elk tags I decided to start a business that would hopefully at least pay for my own elk hunt each year. So Headin’ West Hunt Consulting was born!

I had always enjoyed teaching and weaned lots of my clients on to hunting elk on their own. So the do it yourself hunter is who I cater to. I provide detailed hunt plans for both Montana and Wyoming to hunters with a wide variety of goals and abilities. From young guys to old, veteran hunters and rookies my job is to set my clients up with a plan that fits. I include a set of topo maps for each member of your group marked with all kinds of information including hunting routes to work the area. You also get a set of written instructions to walk you through how to hunt the area. I’ll tell you everything from where to park and camp, or set up your pack in camp to how to access the hot spits as well as everything you need to know down where to have your elk processed locally if you want to. Once you purchase a hunt plan you are free to email, text, or call as often as you want for as long as you need to so I can answer any questions you or your partners might have to make sure you are ready to put your plan to good use. I’ve had guys text me saying “Spotted 2 bulls bedded at the head of the X Creek drainage right NOW... what should we do?” I enjoy doing whatever it takes to help my hunters score.

You can look up some of my reviws on Bowsite dot com. I can provide references if you want them. My elk hunters have an extremely high success rate. With the cost of an elk license and considering how valuable your vacation time is let me help speed up your learning curve. Get started hunting elk in a place you’ll look forward to calling home and going back to year after year instead of driving home disappointed with empty coolers. Quit paying an outfitter every year when you can do this on your own way cheaper.

When I first started this business I thought my main customers would be the newbies. The guys with no experience who didn’t know where to begin. I was wrong. It’s the hunters and their partners who have tried it 2 or 4 times with little or no luck who are the ones who realize the value of what I have to offer. I always smile when those rookies more often than not call me back a year later telling me about their elkless elk hunt down in Colorado.

By the way I still book outfitted hunts for the owner of my old business if you want a guided, semi guided, or drop camp hunt. Enough for now. Good luck to all in the drawings and best wishes with your 2018 hunting adventures!
Joe Ferraro
www.headinwest.net
Pass It On!

Offline WapitiTalk1

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+9)
  • Old Salt
  • Groups: RMEF, NRA, US Army (R)
Re: New Sponsor, Elk Hunt Consulting
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2018, 06:10:49 PM »
Oh hell, there goes the neighborhood 😎
Darton Archery Maverick II
Traditions Vortek StrikeFire Smoke Pole
Weatherby VG-2 Boomstick
"Poking at a campfire with a stick is one of life's great satisfactions." Patrick F. McManus

Offline dwils233

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2018, 08:53:20 PM »
Sounds like a new business model, good luck!

Did I miss the price on your site? Or that based on the hunt?
A promise made is a debt unpaid, and the trail has its own stern code

Offline Indian Summer

• Business Sponsor
  • Tracker
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2018, 09:09:37 PM »
Oh hell, there goes the neighborhood 😎
2935 posts Wapiti Talk.... I have some catching up to do!  ;)
Pass It On!

Offline Mudman

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Old Salt
  • Get R Done.
« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2018, 10:27:27 PM »
Cool idea.  Its funny I was just talking to my wife about why nobody with the knowledge has done this.  I was thinking GPS tagged photos of the "Big Boy" in the area along with the maps to stir excitement.  Bone addicts photos came to mind!!  Great idea hope it goes well. :tup:
MAGA!  Again..

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Explorer
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 05:18:58 AM »
So Joe I didn't see what states we are talking. Is there a specialty you have i.e. wilderness, lodge, private, public land hunts?
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

Offline teanawayslayer

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Frontiersman
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2018, 05:54:46 AM »
So Joe I didn't see what states we are talking. Is there a specialty you have i.e. wilderness, lodge, private, public land hunts?
website says Wyoming and Montana
Happiness is being in the woods!!!

Offline cem3434

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+29)
  • Frontiersman
  • Groups: NRA, MDF, RMEF, NWTF, PF, RGS, WSF, WSTA
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2018, 06:35:49 AM »
Do you have mule deer plans as well?
The best friend a guy could have asked for. RIP chasing pheasants in heaven Denali girl.

Offline White Pass Outfitters

• High mtn hunter
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Scout
    • Kent Dinelt
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2018, 06:54:33 AM »
Just one question, you said Wyoming and Montana. But non res cant even hunt the wilderness in Wyoming without a guide. So you must be talking  non wilderness land in wy. Sounds really cool I try and do the same for hunters in wa st. I just dont charge them. lol
KD

Offline trophyhunt

• Forum Sponsor
  • Trade Count: (+11)
  • Explorer
  • Groups: Wa Wild Sheep Life Member
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 07:13:37 AM »
I think its a great idea for those who don't have time or those who just don't want to take the time to do research.  I think the price will be the tipping point, if you can nail the right price to draw the average hunter in, you'll be successful.  The idea of having a good starting point, camp spot, and map of the exact area will be very handy to us guys looking for out of state hunts.  Not everyone can drive 12-18 hours to scout to only find out the roads been washed away or there was a gate 10 miles before your starting point. Not everyone likes to give up their honey holes, good luck with your business adventure.  My only gripe is an old one, there is way too much information on good spots on the net.  There will always be secret holes, but they shrink more and more with easily accessible info.  But it sure is nice to get info when you need it!  :chuckle:   
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 08:34:53 AM by trophyhunt »
“In common with”..... not so much!!

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #10 on: January 12, 2018, 08:56:28 AM »
Where does this fall on the spectrum of the new "Selling GPS coordinates" law that's being passed around in WY?
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline Elkcollector82

• Work to live, not live to work.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
  • Hunt hard by laying boot tracks, Not tire tracks
« Reply #11 on: January 12, 2018, 08:59:39 AM »
Where does this fall on the spectrum of the new "Selling GPS coordinates" law that's being passed around in WY?

Might be a loop hole. Instead of selling the gps coordinate. He just selling the whole drainage.  :bash:

Offline Indian Summer

• Business Sponsor
  • Tracker
« Reply #12 on: January 12, 2018, 09:41:33 AM »
Do you have mule deer plans as well?

Yes! In 2 different regions depending on how many points you have.
Pass It On!

Offline Indian Summer

• Business Sponsor
  • Tracker
« Reply #13 on: January 12, 2018, 09:44:36 AM »
Just one question, you said Wyoming and Montana. But non res cant even hunt the wilderness in Wyoming without a guide. So you must be talking  non wilderness land in wy. Sounds really cool I try and do the same for hunters in wa st. I just dont charge them. lol

Yes they are non wilderness areas. Anyone with exin Wyoming will tell you that there are a million square miles of area offering great hunting that is not wilderness. I do hunt some places designated as Wilderness Study Areas but non residents ate allowed to hunt them without a guide.
Pass It On!

Offline Indian Summer

• Business Sponsor
  • Tracker
« Reply #14 on: January 12, 2018, 09:54:05 AM »

I used to give some gps coordinates. Mostly of wallows bedding areas and other areas worth checking out. But I no longer do that in light of the bill just to be safe. Right now the bill is just a proposal but I wouldn’t want to give coordinates now that would be used after the bill passes if it does. I don’t believe I would be in violation because I don’t give coordinates of a specific animal. Who does that!!! But when it comes to game laws I don’t take chances. Good question!
Pass It On!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Blacklab
[Today at 02:04:10 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw