collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: New Sponsor, Elk Hunt Consulting  (Read 15507 times)

Offline lord grizzly

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Longhunter
Re: New Sponsor, Elk Hunt Consulting
« Reply #15 on: January 12, 2018, 10:08:45 AM »
seems like an unsustainable business but probably good while it s lasts for you. interesting to see this type of stuff pop up. inevitably you'll run out of info to sell or sell the same info multiple times. but there's enough people out there looking for a free lunch that I bet you pay for your elk hunts for a while anyway.

Offline bobcat

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+14)
  • Legend
    • robert68
« Reply #16 on: January 12, 2018, 10:27:36 AM »
The owner of the monster muley's forum sells coordinates to trophy mule deer bucks in Wyoming. That's why they're trying to pass that new law in Wyoming.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline boneaddict

• Site Sponsor
  • Administrator
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Legend
« Reply #17 on: January 12, 2018, 11:34:22 AM »
Cool idea.  Its funny I was just talking to my wife about why nobody with the knowledge has done this.  I was thinking GPS tagged photos of the "Big Boy" in the area along with the maps to stir excitement.  Bone addicts photos came to mind!!  Great idea hope it goes well. :tup:
It’s been suggested to me, that and finders fees.  That’s a new market.  I suppose I could make some money, especially when some of the bucks I’m filming get found and shot for free, but no thanks.  Good luck in your venture. Welcome as a new sponsor

Offline Hot Lunch

• Hunter
« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2018, 08:38:03 PM »
Robby Denning of Rokslide has a we scout for you program. There is several location selling businesses around.

Offline hogslayer

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: Bloody decks
« Reply #19 on: January 12, 2018, 10:52:13 PM »
I am in the boat of being interested in this.  I am not a beginner hunter, but don’t have a lot of time.  I own a electrical business with employees have a 4 years old, and the wife works full time.  To have enough time to go scout out of state isn’t an option.  To take a gamble and learn and area for a few years and come home empty handed doesn’t sound like to much fun either.  I have been researching google earth and onx maps non stop for Idaho mule deer.  If I could increase my chances by talking to someone who knows the area, that’s worth something to me.  It’s taken years to consistently pull elk out of a Washington archery spot. 

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #20 on: January 13, 2018, 09:01:39 AM »
Could you give an example of prices?
Say OTC Colorado elk, archery, raghorns, just looking for success??
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #21 on: January 13, 2018, 09:13:43 AM »
Am I missing the price sheets somewhere?  Selling a product needs a price and I cannot find them.
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline Elkcollector82

• Work to live, not live to work.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Hunt hard by laying boot tracks, Not tire tracks
« Reply #22 on: January 13, 2018, 09:40:42 AM »
Am I missing the price sheets somewhere?  Selling a product needs a price and I cannot find them.

If the price isn’t listed. Means we can’t afford it.   :chuckle:

All kidding aside. Price probably varies. Depends on what the hunter is seeking. One hunter might only want some maps with camp sights marked. Why other hunters want everything under the sun. Probably why the price isn’t listed.  :dunno:

Offline dscubame

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Frontiersman
  • 2013 Idaho Elk Hunt
« Reply #23 on: January 13, 2018, 09:48:18 AM »

All kidding aside. Price probably varies. Depends on what the hunter is seeking. One hunter might only want some maps with camp sights marked. Why other hunters want everything under the sun. Probably why the price isn’t listed.  :dunno:

Different pricing for different services and products would be great, fantastic to have options.  List the options with prices however.  Fishy business tactics I smell. 
It's a TIKKA thing..., you may not understand.

Eyes in the Woods.   ' '

Offline Elkcollector82

• Work to live, not live to work.
  • Non-Hunting Topics
  • Longhunter
  • Hunt hard by laying boot tracks, Not tire tracks
« Reply #24 on: January 13, 2018, 10:33:31 AM »

Different pricing for different services and products would be great, fantastic to have options.  List the options with prices however.  Fishy business tactics I smell.

Least a range of prices. Doesn’t have to be spot on tell you actually sell. But a ballpark range would be nice for those that are interested. But as Mark Cuban would say. “I’m out”

Offline CaNINE

• Trade Count: (+5)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #25 on: January 13, 2018, 04:19:37 PM »
I suppose there is a niche market for this service.  Hopefully the profit margins will make it worth your effort.  Does selling information about where to hunt on public land require an outfitters license?  Curious how this form of guiding is regulated.
The lazy do not roast any game, but the diligent feed on the riches of the hunt.

Proverbs 12:27

Offline idaho guy

• Frontiersman
« Reply #26 on: January 13, 2018, 04:43:16 PM »

[/quote

That statement is really ignorant how’s it fishy?

Offline Mr Mykiss

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #27 on: January 13, 2018, 07:39:26 PM »
Wyoming general license bull elk, rifle, any bull will do. Price?
It is hard to follow one great vision in a world of darkness and of many changing shadows. Among these shadows men get lost.
-Black Elk

Offline Indian Summer

• Business Sponsor
  • Tracker
« Reply #28 on: January 14, 2018, 08:52:59 AM »
seems like an unsustainable business but probably good while it s lasts for you. interesting to see this type of stuff pop up. inevitably you'll run out of info to sell or sell the same info multiple times. but there's enough people out there looking for a free lunch that I bet you pay for your elk hunts for a while anyway.

Give me a minute to catch up to you guys. I’ll back up and address this comment first. It’s a very smart one! First of all After 3 decades of pursuing elk I have a ton of spots. But yes there is a limit to that number. So I need to continue to aquire new ones. I do this two different ways.

One is by having friends who are still guiding full time. They feed me spots. They will call and say “I got into this new area. It’s loaded with elk but I just can’t get the average client there” They’ll give some details on where they were and what they saw. Then either during the summer or that fall I’ll go out and either camp at the truck, hike in and camp, or ride horses in and basically hunt the area logging everything I see and dropping waypoints on my gps to reference later. I love this method because I already know it’s going to be a good spot and a worthwhile investment of my time.

The other method can be a waste of my time. I do the same thing any out of state hunter might do except that I’m probably more familiar with the nearby area, the habits of the elk, and the amount of hunting pressure during open season. I eye up spots from the road while I’m out doing my own hunting. Then during the off season I sit down and start staring at topo maps and Google Earth. I also use Game Planner maps because I can overlap topos with satellite imagery. Then I put together a hunt plan. When I head out in the fallI go hunt the place. I might day hunt it from the truck or depending on the type of plan I might pack a wall tent camp way in and hunt the back country. I might find elk. I might kill a bull. I might strike out! Sometimes areas that look like they have it all just don’t hold elk for whatever reason. I’ve been in spots where a drainage has good hunting. Another one has great hunting. But the one between those two barely has an elk track in it. In that case I say to myself this is what makes my service worth the money. I help people avoid the realization that the spot they checked out and dreamed about all summer turned out to be worthless. Then I pack up my gear and either go check out another new area.... or I go to the place where I’ve killed bulls before and do my real hunting. I call that method “prospecting” It’s like a gold miner sampling likely looking spots hoping to find some color!

As far as reselling plans here’s how that works: I never sell the same plan to more than one party in the same year. Once a client purchases a plan it is his exclusively for at least 3 years. After three years he should know the lay of the land well enough to have an advantage over any newcomers. All a client has to do is tell me that he is going back each year and I will not resell the plan. You have to realize that not everyone ends up being an elk hunter for life. There are guys who hunt elk one time and scratch it off their list. Next year they are hunting deer in Illinois or doing a hunt in Africa or chasing caribou somewhere. Some just find out that they can’t handle elk hunting physically or they don’t find it to be as fun as seeing 30 deer a day like they do back home. So that plan is back up for grabs. If down the road a group of BOW ONLY HUNTERS calls me and I think a particular plan that was sold three years ago to a party of GUN ONLY HUNTERS I may consider selling them the same plan. But I’ll take the time to contact the bow guys and see if they are still hunting the area first. Some people continue to hunt their spot but don’t let me know that which is why I check first. If they are still hunting the area lots of times they tell me that they’ve expanded well beyond the plan over the adjacent ridges or even coming from a different direction or something so someone who starts at at square one with the original plan would have no effect on them. Very rarely though do I even consider reselling a plan. I don’t have to so far.

Great question and I hope that answers it for you!
Pass It On!

Offline Indian Summer

• Business Sponsor
  • Tracker
« Reply #29 on: January 14, 2018, 09:06:31 AM »
I suppose there is a niche market for this service.  Hopefully the profit margins will make it worth your effort.  Does selling information about where to hunt on public land require an outfitters license?  Curious how this form of guiding is regulated.

The short answer is no. It is not a form of guiding. First of all in states where guide and outfitter licenses are required a guide cannot freelance. He has to be working for a licensed outfitter. A license is required to provide services for any type of compensation, not just money, on public land. That means directly enabling a hunter by providing a camp, packing them in, packing game out, or obviously accompanying them afield for any reason.

A company who leases horses cannot drop them off at a trailhead or a campsite on National Forest unless they are licensed and have a US Forest Service user permit. A company can rent gear which is common in Alaska where shipping your own up there can be expensive, but they cannot set a camp up for you unless they are licensed. I’ve had clients ask me if I can set a camp for them or show them around for a day and the answer is no. That would be considered guiding or providing a service on public land which requires a license, a user permit, and insurance.
Pass It On!

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

SimplePortal 2.3.7 © 2008-2024, SimplePortal