collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Canada Lynx delisting  (Read 7036 times)

Offline jager

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
Re: Canada Lynx delisting
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2018, 08:18:58 PM »
Thought some of you might like to see this.
Its been a while...

Im sure we'll never see this again.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2018, 08:27:38 PM »
That's awesome  :tup:   No, we won't bee seeing that again. 

Offline Kit Carson

• WA State Trappers Association
  • Trade Count: (+8)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, WSTA, NTA
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2018, 08:39:43 PM »
That's cool  :tup:

Offline hunter399

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Old Salt
  • If you know me,then you know I give zero #&$@$
  • Groups: NRA RMEF
« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2018, 08:51:27 PM »
I would like to see the wall come down on logging , or setting aside forest land for there recovery, but at the same time keep them listed and protected ,In not gonna kill off a small population just cause they don't or can't recover due to all kinds of factors.so that's how I stand.

Pro logging ,tree thinning,forest mangement.
Pro keeping lynx listed.

My remark about getting taller cages was tongue in cheek, no one is thinking about killing off the lynx, that's ludicrous.   We're talking about federal delisting, that's a long, LONG ways away from actually hunting or trapping them. 

We don't need to "set aside" forest land for their recovery, that would hurt the population.  Lynx (if you took the time to read about them) prefer new growth and multi-layered forest because that's what the rabbits like.   Rabbits don't like old growth crap that nothing grows under, old growth forest doesn't have yummy branches on the ground for hares, if you wanted to help the lynx then talk about logging and controlled burns, snowshoe love lodge pole pine and they like them small and young with branches right on the floor. 
They eat it, then partially digest it, then eat it again right out of their own anus, sort of like a cow chews it's cud. 

So no, we don't need to set aside anything.  We need to slash and burn and log and send the older lodge pole to the paper mills for news paper and paper towels and let new lodge pole grow to keep the rabbit numbers up.   And we need to cage more bobcat in lynx territory, and of course cougar needs reduced as well.   Even taking big male lynx would help them rebound so they kill less kits.   

This is all very simple, but the stuff I talk about doesn't help lock up more wilderness and control people access to the woods.

I for one would love to see far more lynx, they kill wolves.

I said I was pro logging KF ,i totally agree on forest mamagment with ya.I work in forest production plant ,turning forest products into useable products. :tup:

noun: pro; plural noun: pros
an advantage of something or an argument in favor of a course of action.
"the pros and cons of joint ownership"
preposition & adverb
preposition: pro; adverb: pro
in favor of.
"they were pro the virtues of individualism"
« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 09:03:05 PM by hunter399 »
I rather piss in the wind,then have piss down my back.

Offline one more

• one more
  • WA State Trappers Association
  • Scout
  • Author, as DZ Wirth, of e-book: MOUNTAIN IGLOO,
« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2018, 08:55:52 PM »
 :chuckle:  Eat Wolves!!  Very funny!  Wish it were true.  Any way, you people have pointed out why lynx are not abundant in WA: low numbers of rabbits due to less logging and regrowth, and too much competition by mountain lions and bobcats.  Lynx would be easy to catch in a cage trap and release, too.  Take pictures if you do.
Diane
NWTF, WSTA, NRA, RMEF, NAHC, WF.
Author,  as DZ Wirth, of e-book:  MOUNTAIN IGLOO, an Alaska adventure, survival, wildlife and romance novel,
at most e-book stores.

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2018, 09:06:03 PM »
I threw that in there for good measure, there was a study done on lynx and wolves being together, due to the rumors that wolves were killing lynx.   

Turned out it was lynx killing lynx.  The big males (like a lot of cats) kill kits. 

However during this study they were shocked to find that lynx kill wolves, specifically pups.  They had video of a big male going into a wolf den and killing the pups, they also found other pups up to about 4 months old that had been killed by lynx. 

https://sidorovich.blog/2017/09/06/wolves-and-lynxes/

but to say "lynx kill wolves" is a stretch,  it's true  - but implies that it's some frequent occurrence which I doubt. 

« Last Edit: January 12, 2018, 09:48:29 PM by KFhunter »

Offline KFhunter

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Legend
« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2018, 09:52:20 PM »
I would like to see the wall come down on logging , or setting aside forest land for there recovery, but at the same time keep them listed and protected ,In not gonna kill off a small population just cause they don't or can't recover due to all kinds of factors.so that's how I stand.

Pro logging ,tree thinning,forest mangement.
Pro keeping lynx listed.

My remark about getting taller cages was tongue in cheek, no one is thinking about killing off the lynx, that's ludicrous.   We're talking about federal delisting, that's a long, LONG ways away from actually hunting or trapping them. 

We don't need to "set aside" forest land for their recovery, that would hurt the population.  Lynx (if you took the time to read about them) prefer new growth and multi-layered forest because that's what the rabbits like.   Rabbits don't like old growth crap that nothing grows under, old growth forest doesn't have yummy branches on the ground for hares, if you wanted to help the lynx then talk about logging and controlled burns, snowshoe love lodge pole pine and they like them small and young with branches right on the floor. 
They eat it, then partially digest it, then eat it again right out of their own anus, sort of like a cow chews it's cud. 

So no, we don't need to set aside anything.  We need to slash and burn and log and send the older lodge pole to the paper mills for news paper and paper towels and let new lodge pole grow to keep the rabbit numbers up.   And we need to cage more bobcat in lynx territory, and of course cougar needs reduced as well.   Even taking big male lynx would help them rebound so they kill less kits.   

This is all very simple, but the stuff I talk about doesn't help lock up more wilderness and control people access to the woods.

I for one would love to see far more lynx, they kill wolves.

I said I was pro logging KF ,i totally agree on forest mamagment with ya.I work in forest production plant ,turning forest products into useable products. :tup:

noun: pro; plural noun: pros
an advantage of something or an argument in favor of a course of action.
"the pros and cons of joint ownership"
preposition & adverb
preposition: pro; adverb: pro
in favor of.
"they were pro the virtues of individualism"

I took excepting to your idea of "setting aside forest for lynx habitat".    I perhaps came on a little too strong, I'm tired of the notion of setting aside land for every critter around.

Offline Okanagan

• Longhunter
« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2018, 10:44:54 PM »
I could be wrong but there sure seems like a lot of lynx habitat in WA to me, based on terrain/vegetation where I have found them elsewhere. North of Highway 20 from Ross Lake to the Idaho line should be as good for lynx as it is 6 inches north of the border.  There is good lynx ground south of Highway 20 as well.  In the 60's we had several lynx on a ranch south of Arlington, OR, dry sage and wheat country.  My uncle trapped two there one winter.  A game dept. biologist told me that it could not have been a lynx that I tracked on Crater Mountain because that is too far west for lynx.  Somebody should have told the lynx.

WA (and south central BC) won't have the lynx population density of northern BC or the Yukon but the numbers should be equal along both sides of the border.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Walked a cougar down by Rainier10
[Today at 11:17:49 AM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by xXLojackXx
[Today at 10:13:39 AM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by Machias
[Today at 09:19:44 AM]

SB 5444 signed by Inslee on 03/26 Takes Effect on 06/06/24 by hughjorgan
[Today at 09:03:26 AM]

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]