collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: RCBS Rock Chucker  (Read 7432 times)

Offline Evil_EdwardO

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Sourdough
  • Groups: NRA, LPC, ASF, GOA, RLRR
Re: RCBS Rock Chucker
« Reply #30 on: January 10, 2018, 11:26:19 AM »
I just thought of another invaluable piece of equipment.  A bullet puller. 

I used one like this (link).  It works, but is a pain compared to the one I picked up a couple years ago:

grip-n-pull

It works really nice.  Sometimes you just want to pull a bullet and that tool makes it so easy.  :twocents:

I like the press mounted pullers better. I use the RCBS one:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/680804/rcbs-collet-bullet-puller

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #31 on: January 10, 2018, 11:39:04 AM »
I just thought of another invaluable piece of equipment.  A bullet puller. 

I used one like this (link).  It works, but is a pain compared to the one I picked up a couple years ago:

grip-n-pull

It works really nice.  Sometimes you just want to pull a bullet and that tool makes it so easy.  :twocents:

I like the press mounted pullers better. I use the RCBS one:

https://www.midwayusa.com/product/680804/rcbs-collet-bullet-puller

:yeah:

Just remember to also purchase the correct collet so you don't get home and realize you have the bullet puller with no collets.....they are caliber specific.  It is what I use and it works amazing. 

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #32 on: January 10, 2018, 06:59:25 PM »
I have a hornady cam lock puller, it works great especially if you need to pull a bunch of bullets at a time.
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

Offline hogslayer

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: Bloody decks
« Reply #33 on: January 11, 2018, 01:41:33 PM »
My bullet puller is a set of lineman pliers.  Might be a waste of money with having to trash bullets.  As far as dies go, I always get the Redding full length bushing die with micro seating.  Ditch the expander after first sizing to uniform dents. Depending on which brass your run, you’ll most likely end up with a .310 or .311 bushing.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #34 on: January 11, 2018, 05:26:10 PM »
When seating bullets do it in steps - seat a lil - release - turn bullet a third - repeat til done.  Reduces runout.

After trimming brass and champfering  (inside first then outside)  polish brass face by putting steel wool inside 1/2" socket in your drill-driver and holding brass to it at drill speed for a few seconds.   Evens out bullet seating. 

Watch the lube consistency when full length re-sizing - the amount of lube can change things a lot.

Hand primers and de-cappers can improve your results and better tell you when brass is ready to be scrapped.

Don't worry too much about tumbling brass - your best accuracy will likely be from un-tumbled brass.  Steel pins clean well - maybe too well.  Carbon in the necks can = consistency.  Nylon brush or 0000 steel wool in neck and wipe off outside with a brass cleaner and good to go. 

Shoot at 200-300 yards initially to test loads,

Test your bullet jump !

Most load improvements on first time re-loaders come from shooting improvements not the ammo !

Offline roscoe

• IBEW, LOCAL 46
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Pilgrim
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2018, 09:11:39 AM »
I've been reloading 7mm rem mag for a few decades now, and  I have pretty much  all the different tools and gauges and probably a few I don't need.  If you ever get in the Maple Valley area, you can bring some basic components and we can do some reloading.

I have lots of brass you can have, along with a set of dies I don't use anymore.

Offline Duckslayer89

• Frontiersman
« Reply #36 on: January 13, 2018, 05:26:12 AM »
I've been reloading 7mm rem mag for a few decades now, and  I have pretty much  all the different tools and gauges and probably a few I don't need.  If you ever get in the Maple Valley area, you can bring some basic components and we can do some reloading.

I have lots of brass you can have, along with a set of dies I don't use anymore.

Man that’s generous I appreciate it! Hogslayer offered to show me the ropes too. Part of me wants to dive head first into it all but the other part of me wants to just find a good load for the gun make up a few hundred rounds and call it good.

Do you guys always load off the lands or sometimes is the bullet actually in the lands? Does factory ammo always touch the lands?

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #37 on: January 13, 2018, 06:58:51 AM »
For hunting I would stay off the lands - start at .010 off and work out.  Factory ammo is generally well off the lands but also crimped commonly.  Pressure increases when you start getting on the lands so reduce load accordingly.

Offline BigGoonTuna

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2018, 09:05:01 AM »
I like to start around .010 off the lands, then seat deeper to tune after finding the best charge.  Makes it really easy to do a range, seat all the bullets out and bring a hand press with a seater die installed.
you can still get gas in heaven, and a drink in kingdom come,
in the meantime, i'll be cleaning my gun

Offline hogslayer

• Trade Count: (+7)
  • Longhunter
  • Groups: Bloody decks
« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2018, 09:41:45 AM »

Man that’s generous I appreciate it! Hogslayer offered to show me the ropes too. Part of me wants to dive head first into it all but the other part of me wants to just find a good load for the gun make up a few hundred rounds and call it good.

Do you guys always load off the lands or sometimes is the bullet actually in the lands? Does factory ammo always touch the lands?

Roscoe offered to help me a few years ago.  Now we are still friends and have hunted together numerous times.  He has my old 7mag dies.  We live pretty close and shoot together. 

Offline jasnt

• ELR junkie
  • Trade Count: (+5)
  • Old Salt
  • Out shooting
  • Groups: WSTA
« Reply #40 on: January 15, 2018, 05:10:53 AM »
I stay away from anything that needs a battery. 
https://www.howlforwildlife.org/take_action  It takes 10 seconds and it’s free. To easy to make an excuse not to make your voice heard!!!!!!

The commission shall attempt to maximize the public recreational game fishing and hunting opportunities of all citizens, including juvenile, disabled, and senior citizens.
https://apps.leg.wa.gov/RCW/default.aspx?cite=77.04.012

Offline Skyvalhunter

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
« Reply #41 on: January 15, 2018, 05:48:39 AM »
 :yike:
The only man who never makes a mistake, is the man who never does anything!!
The further one goes into the wilderness, the greater the attraction of its lonely freedom.

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by HntnFsh
[Today at 02:12:56 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]