collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Molly coated bullets?? good / bad  (Read 1487 times)

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
Molly coated bullets?? good / bad
« on: January 15, 2018, 10:16:37 AM »
Specifically as it pertains to pistol bullets, what are your thoughts?? 

Couple sights I'm looking at for bulk bullets 38/.357, .40, .45, 9mm, ets.:

http://www.bayoubullets.net/

http://www.bayoubullets.net/

Offline C-Money

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Explorer
  • Self proclaimed 3pt master
Re: Molly coated bullets?? good / bad
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 10:26:07 AM »
My Uncle likes the molly coated bullets. I think its because they look cool on a silver plated brass :chuckle: I have never got into molly bullets. I have heard they can gum up your rifling, and I have no evidence to back that up. Most of all, I really like the performance of the non molly bullets I have been using. Never had a reason to go to molly.
I felt like a one legged cat trying to bury a terd on a frozen pond!

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2018, 12:20:51 PM »
I have shot 10 of thousands of Bayou bullets and other's like them.  Bayou's uses the hi-tek coating.  They are very clean, very little smoke and you won't need to clean your barrel like a true moly coated round.  They are accurate, similar to lead (more accurate then plated or jacketed), take less powder to get to the same velocities and shoot softer because of it.  They also won't get your loader, dies, or hands dirty like a true powder coated molly bullet. 

Another nice thing is that you can buy different colors and load at different specs and know what you have just by looking.  For instance, you can load up some 9mm's that barely cycle the pistol for the wife and kids and then juice them up for a carry round in the woods or maybe load sum sub sonic for a suppressor. 

I prefer Leatherheadbullets.com bullets.  Leatherhead is out of Boise but you can call them and they might have someone who can run a case to you in order to save shipping.  PM me if you want their direct number.  Most of Leatherhead bullets don't have a grease lube either, which I prefer.  It gives you more surface area to the barrel (inherently more accurate) and you don't get that "bump" in the case mouth like a regular lead bullet with lube  groove.         

Offline 300rum

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2018, 12:25:45 PM »
Couple of other things....

The hi tek coating is a type of plastic coating, not a powder coated moly.  I have used very hot powders like titegroup and recovered bullets where the coating was still intact at the base, it didn't melt off at all.  Because of this you don't get the smoke with the hotter powders like you would using regular lead or moly coated bullets. 

I have used many powders with them but I prefer Ramshot Competition and then VV N320. 

Offline fishsticks

• Tracker
Molly coated bullets?? good / bad
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 12:48:15 PM »

The hi tek coating is a type of plastic coating, not a powder coated moly.  I have used very hot powders like titegroup and recovered bullets where the coating was still intact at the base, it didn't melt off at all.  Because of this you don't get the smoke with the hotter powders like you would using regular lead or moly coated bullets. 

I have used many powders with them but I prefer Ramshot Competition and then VV N320.

I'll echo these comments and those in the prior post.  I shoot ~10k a year in competition.  I've had good luck with titegroup, but that isn't the case for everyone.  Slower powders may give better results.  I shoot TG and coated purely for cost reasons and the fact that they work good enough.  There is some smoke, you likely won't notice it unless weather conditions are unfavorable.  Those around you might see the smoke. 

Leatherhead, S&s and bayou are all good to go. 

You will need to bell cases more than for plated or jacketed.  You'll also need to crimp only as much as you have to.  More can cut the coating and cause a number of problems.

Offline Magnum_Willys

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 03:22:34 PM »

I'll echo these comments and those in the prior post.  I shoot ~10k a year in competition.  I've had good luck with titegroup, but that isn't the case for everyone.  Slower powders may give better results.  I shoot TG and coated purely for cost reasons and the fact that they work good enough.  There is some smoke, you likely won't notice it unless weather conditions are unfavorable.  Those around you might see the smoke. 

Leatherhead, S&s and bayou are all good to go. 

You will need to bell cases more than for plated or jacketed.  You'll also need to crimp only as much as you have to.  More can cut the coating and cause a number of problems.
It must be worth the extra step - how and Why do you use coated bullets ?

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by Reidus
[Today at 02:20:11 PM]

Springer Fishing Opportunity 3/29 & 3/30 by Blacklab
[Today at 12:48:56 PM]

Long Beach Clamming Tides by dilleytech
[Today at 12:39:19 PM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by abhold87
[Today at 12:03:27 PM]

Bearpaw Season - Spring 2024 by bearpaw
[Today at 11:45:41 AM]