collapse

Advertisement

Author Topic: Portabls Traeger grill? Any good?  (Read 3859 times)

Offline scotsman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Longhunter
Portabls Traeger grill? Any good?
« on: January 15, 2018, 04:42:18 PM »

I was at Costco today - they have a small portable Traeger that will fit nicely in the storage basement of our motor home. Apparrently it is an improvement of an earlier version in that it has a digital temp control and comes with an inverter to run on 12 volts.

I haven't had a smoker grill before and understand it wont do some jobs like bigger grills, but 90% of the time it just me and mama. Have any of you used one of these? Comments?

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
Re: Portabls Traeger grill? Any good?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2018, 05:33:58 PM »
I would think small cooks would work awesome......pork loin, pork chops, chicken ect.  I would love to have one to add to the camp trailer.  Smoked cabbage and carrots with olive oil and lemon balsamic.....Mmmmmmmm.  Is it dinner time yet? 

Offline MacAttack

• Trade Count: (+1)
  • Scout
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2018, 06:31:25 PM »
I have looked at them as well, but I like the GMG Davy Crockett a little better.

Offline The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+7)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2018, 07:08:51 PM »
 :yeah: I will not be buying another traeger. I would go another route

Offline scotsman

• Political & Covid-19 Topics
  • Trade Count: (+10)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2018, 07:34:53 PM »
Scout, curious why you are down on Traegar?

Offline The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #5 on: January 16, 2018, 08:56:36 PM »
The quality of the new ones being made has gone way down hill. I have an older version that has been great but it is a smaller one so I got the biggest one they make about 2 years ago and the paint was peeling off the front shortly after and it doesn’t heat up as fast and won’t get up to temp unless it’s summer time. I have buddy’s that have the gmg’s and the quality is much better all around. I think traeger got there name with a quality product and once they got it the quality has gone down hill.

Offline jrebel

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+20)
  • Explorer
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2018, 09:07:28 PM »
The quality of the new ones being made has gone way down hill. I have an older version that has been great but it is a smaller one so I got the biggest one they make about 2 years ago and the paint was peeling off the front shortly after and it doesn’t heat up as fast and won’t get up to temp unless it’s summer time. I have buddy’s that have the gmg’s and the quality is much better all around. I think traeger got there name with a quality product and once they got it the quality has gone down hill.

Buy the insulating blanket...you won't regret it.  It will not only get to temp faster but maintain a more steady temp (speaking more of winter time cooking).  My experience with GMG has been the exact oposite.  We bought one for work to save a few bucks and it drives me crazy to cook on it.  I'm sure there is a learning curve, but it appears to distribute the heat very inconsistantly.  The wheels on the GMG have almost fallen off and overall quality appears to be poor....the temp guage on the lid stopped working after the first cook.  They even mount they logo crooked. 

Offline The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2018, 07:21:10 AM »

Buy the insulating blanket...you won't regret it.  It will not only get to temp faster but maintain a more steady temp (speaking more of winter time cooking).  My experience with GMG has been the exact oposite.  We bought one for work to save a few bucks and it drives me crazy to cook on it.  I'm sure there is a learning curve, but it appears to distribute the heat very inconsistantly.  The wheels on the GMG have almost fallen off and overall quality appears to be poor....the temp guage on the lid stopped working after the first cook.  They even mount they logo crooked.

That’s interesting about your guy’s GMG, I haven’t heard that stuff about them before maybe they are going the same route traeger did. For the most part i’m Just speaking of the difference between the older traeger a and the new going down hill. If I decide to keep my traeger I will look into the blanket. I live on the westside and the average temps are 40’s and 50’s and mine won’t hit 400. I am on my second grill from Costco in 2 years so we will see might be in the classifieds before you know it

Offline skeeter 20i

• Washington For Wildlife
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Longhunter
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2018, 08:15:24 AM »
The quality of the new ones being made has gone way down hill.

I think traeger got there name with a quality product and once they got it the quality has gone down hill.

I've heard that from more than one person here at work also.  That's too bad.
"The world is changed by your example, not your opinion."

Offline The scout

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Sourdough
« Reply #9 on: January 17, 2018, 08:41:13 AM »
Ya I don’t think it’s something thats debatable. But most people have either owned a new one or an old one not both so they don’t see the difference

Offline kellama2001

• Global Moderator
  • Trade Count: (+2)
  • Frontiersman
  • Everyone wants to eat-but few are willing to hunt
  • Groups: F4WM, MDF, NWTF, RMEF
« Reply #10 on: January 17, 2018, 08:53:10 AM »
X2 on the gmg. Just got the Davy Crockett for Christmas, it's beyond awesome! Can't wait to take it camping too. Have heard nothing but good about gmg in my circle of friends and nothing but complaints about the traegers. Just my  :twocents:
It must be a poor life that achieves freedom from fear.
-Aldo Leopold

Offline ridgefire

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (+3)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #11 on: January 17, 2018, 01:46:55 PM »
I have had both and I got better smoke in the Traeger but the GMG better built and way more consistent imo.

Offline spin05

• Trade Count: (+2)
  • Sourdough
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2018, 03:03:28 AM »
just got the GMG davy crockett.  Love it so far and seems well built

Offline SpringerFan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Scout
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2018, 08:00:24 PM »
NO! I got one for our 5th wheel. Has never not flared up and ruined dinner. It starts ok. Smokes. Turn it to over 250 and major flames.

Very disappointed. Get a GMG Davey Crocket. And I am not affiliated with either.
We don't blame cars for drunk drivers......Why blame guns for violent people...

NRA, Pheasants Forever, WWESSC.....tried to join Washington for Wildlife.org but my IP is banned??? 

Offline Wacenturion

• Non-Hunting Topics
  • Trade Count: (-1)
  • Old Salt
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2018, 05:49:45 PM »
I have looked at them as well, but I like the GMG Davy Crockett a little better.

I do as well, as that is what I went with for the travel trailer.  Reviews are excellent and it's well made.
"About the time you realize that your father was a smart man, you have a teenager telling you just how stupid you are."

* Advertisement

* Recent Topics

Springer 2024 Columbia River by WSU
[Today at 08:31:10 AM]

Average by lhrbull
[Today at 07:31:56 AM]

Let’s see your best Washington buck by Pathfinder101
[Today at 07:22:11 AM]

Walked a cougar down by Loup Loup
[Today at 07:16:30 AM]

CVA optima V2 LR tapped hole for front sight by Remdawg
[Today at 07:09:22 AM]